• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

The Great Loop 2019 Week Long Trip (Portage, IN to St.Luis-ish) Date June 29th to July 4th

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There have been some interest into doing particular legs of the Great loop. The Chicago to St Luis route seems to be a popular destination for this summer. We noticed that there are 2 distinct groups. One that want to do a slow paste week long trip and one for will make it either during a weekend or a long weekend. This thread is for the slow group, that one that will most likely take 5 day to cover 300 miles. There is another thread for the weekend version of this trip.

this is not a Bimini type adventure , but it will have its own changeless. We will post more as time comes closer, but you have to be prepared :
  • clear at least 2 locks
  • go through high voltage electrical wire
  • prepare to fight 4 feet fish jumping to your cockpit
  • anchor in the river for overnight stay( ie sleep on your boat)
  • make a trip back on forth to splash and then retrieve your truck a trailer from 3 miles away ( though we are working to get some logistical assistance on this)
  • to view 4th of July St. Luis fireworks from the river

Staging area: Portage, IN
The plan will be to start heading south west on Sunday morning (June 30th) with the objective to be in Grafton/Alton/StLuis by Thursday the 4th of July. Will provide more details on launch marina/ramp and retrieve place once we have a better idea on number of boats and slip availability. We have ided some places, and research is currently ongoing.

Committed Vessels
Monterey (@Berrie)

2001 30 foot Monterey 2001
Crew of 2 adults and most likely 2 kids

HMS Artemis 553 (@Betik)
2012 SX240
Crew of 2 adult-ish ( no clue on kids or other adults yet )

CSN Orion ( TBD)
2015 V1Sport (ski)
Crew ( this is a back vessel in case we get some super adventures person who wants to spend 300 miles on ski and maybe camp on the shore!!!!)

the first 2 boas have been to Bimini and back, so we feel fairly prepared on the voyage. If this is your first trip outside of your local lake, we can provide info on that might be helpful to have prepared. For example, a handheld VHF and second bilge pump will not hurt.

Speaking of Bimini, it is very likely that this trip might be overlapping with one the upcoming Bimini flings. If you have to chose between this trip and Bimini, you MUST choose Bimini. That is more of lifetime trip whereas going down the Illinois river it is something we can much easier than crossing the gulf stream.

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Betik We are planning to bring 2 kids, ages 12 and 14 - IF they survive the next 9 months. Based on the oldest’s recent behavior, that is questionable..... :D:D:D

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Betik We are planning to bring 2 kids, ages 12 and 14 - IF they survive the next 9 months. Based on the oldest’s recent behavior, that is questionable..... :D:D:D
At you you will not go to jail, whereas if my kids dont make the next 9 months I will be prime suspect for killing them.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Betik have you abandoned the planning of the shorter trip? Or, are you thinking about both? I was talking with a couple friends last night that would love to join the weekend cruise.

I’m not sure that I’m prepared to be trip leader, but I can help out, where needed.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Betik have you abandoned the planning of the shorter trip? Or, are you thinking about both? I was talking with a couple friends last night that would love to join the weekend cruise.

I’m not sure that I’m prepared to be trip leader, but I can help out, where needed.
As far as I know, @Betik will participate in both trips.
Overachiever.... :D:D:D

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Both trips are happening as far as I am concerned. @Berrie and I just have solid dates and plans since it just the 2 of us. In the next couple of months we will post info on the marinas etc.

The weekend trip seems that we have between 5 to 10 members trying to join. And it will be a "female dog to coordinate". But I am optimistic we will make it happen.

As far as I am concerned, I have been cleared for both trips. Depending on what the vessel demand is for weekend trip, I will bring the boat, the ski or both. BTW, I have put a poll on it that thread so we can see what weekend we can get most people to participate.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@LOZBum are you guys done the new house ? Ready for a mini adventure in your backyard ( no bruising no danger of loosing life or limb either )......

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Doing the first boat preps....
Had to change a flat tire, and replace the main electrical plug.
So I can drive the boat to the shop this weekend to get her two new engines.
I'll be applying for the permit tomorrow.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Doing the first boat preps....
Had to change a flat tire, and replace the main electrical plug.
So I can drive the boat to the shop this weekend to get her two new engines.
I'll be applying for the permit tomorrow.
Dang @Berrie , didn’t you just do some major engine work last year? Is insurance helping or are you out of pocket on all this work? I don’t know anything about boats your size, yet. Maybe when the kids are grown. It’s not typical to have these issues, is it? Brings “bring out another thousand” to a whole new level, it seems.

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yeah, the shop I had some work done last summer did not do a very good job. About half of that bill was wasted. The other half was for parts that will now be put on the new engines.
Looking at around $14k for 2 factory new longblocks, a bunch of new parts, and putting them in.
But it comes with a 2 year warranty.

Some may disagree, but if I were to buy another boat, it will be one with blown engines - or at least 1,000+hr engines. Then you can negotiate the price down far enough that you can put new engines in it and spend the same as for that same boat with running (but older) engines. Especially going offshore I would not rely again on older used engines.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yeah, the shop I had some work done last summer did not do a very good job. About half of that bill was wasted. The other half was for parts that will now be put on the new engines.
Looking at around $14k for 2 factory new longblocks, a bunch of new parts, and putting them in.
But it comes with a 2 year warranty.

Some may disagree, but if I were to buy another boat, it will be one with blown engines - or at least 1,000+hr engines. Then you can negotiate the price down far enough that you can put new engines in it and spend the same as for that same boat with running (but older) engines. Especially going offshore I would not rely again on older used engines.
What kind of hours is common in these style boats? I kind of equate them to motorhomes where you have the majority of owners don’t really travel like they thought they would... and others like my grandparents that put 100k miles on one in just a few years. Don’t know if that’s an accurate analogy or not.

I’d guess for inland boaters, it’s probably rare for owners to go the extra steps that you do to haul it around. So they mostly stay on the same lakes and don’t get anywhere near the hours that coastal boats would have?

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@BigAbe75 It depends on the person. I think it is more regional than fresh vs. salt. If you can boat year-round, you likely will put a lot of hours on your boat. If your season is only 5 months, you obviously have less time in a year to boat.
Saltwater boats tend to be larger, and owners want to use where they invested their money.
Generally, anything under 500hrs is considered doable (even though I probably wouldn't). Anything over a 1,000 hours is likely trouble. These gas engines usually last around 2,000 hours if they are well taken care of - irrespective of salt or freshwater use. Saltwater just brings more frequent and more expensive maintenance.
Hauling a boat is a choice. If I lived at the coast, I would probably haul it twice a year - once to the marina, and once from the marina. With a larger boat like this, lakes become very small quickly, and it becomes boring.

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
No extra takers yet, @Betik .
It will happen. Remember Field of Dreams - If you build it, they will come... :)

Last edited:

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Towing the boat 190 miles to the shop today was uneventful. Pulled into the only weigh station on the route, friendly officer asked if it was my personal boat which I confirmed, then he waived me through and said You're good to go, have fun!
Took exactly the 4 hours I expected it to take.
I should hear from the shop on Tuesday how much they want to hurt my wallet... :D:eek::D

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Towing the boat 190 miles to the shop today was uneventful. Pulled into the only weigh station on the route, friendly officer asked if it was my personal boat which I confirmed, then he waived me through and said You're good to go, have fun!
Took exactly the 4 hours I expected it to take.
I should hear from the shop on Tuesday how much they want to hurt my wallet... :D:eek::D
U get any money back from the other place that said they fixed it but then it ruined your bimini vacation?