• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

The Little Prius that could ( transmission fluid & engine oil analysis after towing)

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think it is well kept public secret that I have towed my boat trailer(s) & jetski with my Prius. Beside the irony associated with it here are some hard facts.

It was put chased new on June of 2016.
Total miles driven 89,000.
Total miles while towing ~20,000
Oil changed every-time the light comes on ( ~ around 5,000 miles).
Transmission fluid changed at 52,000 miles and then now at 89,000.

Worse MPG while towing my boat trailer with my ski trailer on top ( see picture ) 22mpg.
Usual MPG while towing a single jetski 27mpg to 35 mpg.

when we bought the car we would typically get 53mpg on average and now at 89,000 we are averaging 51mpg

Attachments

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I will vouch that I have seen Betik load a jet ski trailer on top of a dual axle boat trailer hitch it to his prius and drive off on a long journey.

Here is more proof. The night photo did not come out all that well. But you can make out the winch on the back and winch of the jetski trailer over the axles of the boat trailer. Same trip as his second photo above I would guess. Certainly the little prius that could.

7FDEB239-90A6-402B-B07F-BC9D177832E2.jpeg

Last edited:

Brad460

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Do you have an analysis of the oil when it was new? Need to see the baseline to compare...otherwise snapshot has no meaning..

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
You're nuts but I love it.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you have an analysis of the oil when it was new? Need to see the baseline to compare...otherwise snapshot has no meaning..
Huh?
Those "snapshots" show oil and transmission fluid levels of things within normal range.
It's like taking blood pressure, or glucose, or a metabolic panel, or whatever with a known range.
The Lill'Prius got a diagnostic work up done, and Dr. Undermyhood gave it a clean bill of oil! lol
:)

--

Brad460

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Huh?
Those "snapshots" show oil and transmission fluid levels of things within normal range.
It's like taking blood pressure, or glucose, or a metabolic panel, or whatever with a known range.
The Lill'Prius got a diagnostic work up done, and Dr. Undermyhood gave it a clean bill of oil! lol
:)

--
lol-

Not saying the oil is bad...but it's far more interesting when you can compare to the baseline (new oil). I see oxidation is 11 and nitration is 8- What are the condeming limits for a Prius? What about TBN and TAN? These two data point are very important and not even listed.

Sorry- I work in the oil and gas industry with large industrial engines and we use oil analysis to build trends, determine oil life, determine wearing parts, leaks..etc.. For example, if an engine uses 300 gallons of oil and you get get another 1000 hours of run time by creating an oil trend analysis..you better know the baseline measurements!

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I must have stared at this post for 15 minutes before I realized you are only towing trailer only. I was thinking how and why did he modify his Prius to tow a boat.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I must have stared at this post for 15 minutes before I realized you are only towing trailer only. I was thinking how and why did he modify his Prius to tow a boat.
2 trailers LOL

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As life has it I damaged the oil pan at the high point marina after the floods. So when i replaced the oil pan at 106,000 miles I figured to take a picture and see if there any evidence of slug...
Judge for your yourself after 30,000 miles of towing and 70,000 miles of drive

Attachments

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You need to keep in mind that a Prius or any Toyota hybrid engine does not rev very high. Not as high as a non hybrid does. So the engine oil doesn't get put through as much punishment. Even under towing conditions.
The transaxle fluid would get more of a beating. But thats just an easy drain and refill of 4.5 quarts of w/s fluid. I would change it every 30k if you tow

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I do. Already changed it twice. Toyota recommends 120,000 miles there is no way I am waiting that long. My first change was at 50k and the second at 90k I guess my next one will be at 120 then.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
At the Toyota dealer that i work at we reccomend all trans services every 60k under normal conditions. Cvt, hybrid, or conventional

If you wait to 120k after its done it doesn't look any better

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Really ?? Both my local dealers told me that it is a life time fluid and I never have to change. When I pressed them they said at 120,000.

But then one them told that they cannot order he hybrid filter, but can clean it for me.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Every dealer is different.
If you want to trust "lifetime " fluid, thats on you and good luck with that transmission. Lol. Its far enough out of warranty at that point that they dont care to help you out
The dealer i worked prior did 60k as well

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So someone please educate me on the hybrid technology of the Prius. Is it similar to say an Electromotive Train where the onboard engine is only there to charge the batteries in the locomotive? So no matter how many cars it is pulling, the fuel driven engine is working the same to just charge batteries.

So is the Prius similar in the fact that the gasoline engine is only there to maintain charge on the batteries? Or when towing the trailer, that engine is actually running "hard" or harder than normal to assist the electric portion? If it is not, the engine oil condition really makes now difference at all. Or maybe I am looking at this wrong.

Let's not even get started on 1500-2000lbs of trailer pushing that prius around. That's a whole different topic. Although that looks like one of those really expensive super light aluminum trailers. Unlike the heavy galvanized and painted trailers we own.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So someone please educate me on the hybrid technology of the Prius. Is it similar to say an Electromotive Train where the onboard engine is only there to charge the batteries in the locomotive? So no matter how many cars it is pulling, the fuel driven engine is working the same to just charge batteries.

So is the Prius similar in the fact that the gasoline engine is only there to maintain charge on the batteries? Or when towing the trailer, that engine is actually running "hard" or harder than normal to assist the electric portion? If it is not, the engine oil condition really makes now difference at all. Or maybe I am looking at this wrong.

Let's not even get started on 1500-2000lbs of trailer pushing that prius around. That's a whole different topic. Although that looks like one of those really expensive super light aluminum trailers. Unlike the heavy galvanized and painted trailers we own.
When cruising light footed the engine will hardly run because the generator which is in the transmission is creating enough a/c current to keep charge going on the hybrid battery. When decelerating or braking when there is no need for a/c current to push the a/c motor the resulting turning of the generator in the transmission pushes lots of extra charging a/c current to charge the hybrid battery

When you put ur foot in it or tow needing more a/c power the engine steps in and makes up for the lack of current needed to turn the a/c motor in the trans.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
To put it simply. the engine is not directly connected to the wheels so to speak like it is on a conventional vehicle.
yes the engine is bolted to the transaxle, but the wheels are connected to an electric a/c motor in the transaxle, the engine is a "generator assist"
component.
on a 4wd Highlander hybrid the rear differential is not pushed by a driveshaft from the front, it is its own electric a/c motor

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Neutron seems to have a slightly better understanding than me LOL. What I know for sure that I will not be hesitant to buy a Toyota Tundra when it comes out.