• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

The sadness that pours out when you open your drain plugs....

Tobes

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Took the boat for a spin today, take some pictures and enjoy the water (it was cold, at least for here). Good day, had a few beers, everything going great. New fangs are well worth the money btw!

Then I pull the boat out and open the drain plugs to find oil/water dumping out! Ugh! Motor was running though and didnt sound bad when I trailered her. I had about a quart and a half of oil on the boat (emergency stash) so I put it in and cranked the motor over. It shot out of the oil filter :( Fucking oil filter split open! The motor still sounds alright so I dont think I damaged it. Pretty sure it just ran out as I was putting it on the trailer. Either case, it is such a crap feeling to see the oil/water pouring out of the drain plugs.

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
What filter were you using? I had the same problem with a K&N filter.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Was it a dealer installed Yamaha filter? If so I would be demanding a repair and warranty extension from the dealer.

If not I would spin on a new filter, refill the oil and hope for the best.

Tobes

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Motorcraft

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Have you taken pictures? Will you contact Motorcraft?

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds like you might've dodged a bullet.

Did you happen to check the dipstick before adding the oil? Or check it after to estimate how low it actually was?

That one of the benefits of draining the bilge after each use.

Hannibal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I've heard of that happening on diesel trucks with cold oil building high pressure. Maybe the Motorcraft, which I use on my 5.4L F250 with Mobil-1 5w-20 running through it, isn't up to the viscosity and pressure of the Yamaha marine engine.

Tobes

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Not sure. Saw others running the motorcraft and its a quality filter so IDK. I will be contacting them. I did check the dipstick and there was just a slight amount. Figure it was enough to keep it lubed. Oil was pretty hot though but the motor isnt burnt I dont believe.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you pulled the stick and you didn't smell burnt oil on the stick or the oil didnt look funny like it had broken down you may be ok.... even when the oil is low there is normally enough to still lube the engine.. what seems to happen though is the oil gets soo hot it starts to break down and then bad bad things happen... the smell is normally very obvious when you pull the stick... even though you added some oil i would prob change all the oil just to be sure..

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I agree. If you had oil on the dip stick you should be OK and it sounds like it must have just occurred. I have never seen a filter spilt. I wonder if is was damaged during the install.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Curious how it split. Did the canister come off the threaded coupler? Did the canister actually split in half?

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
What sucks is motorcraft is likely to just send you a new filter ......one that you would never trust to use again.

Hopefully all is well in the end.