• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

The seemingly never ending boat purchase saga...

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
...is finally showing some light at the end of the tunnel.

Called the bank today, got pre-approved for more boat than I care to buy. So, now I've got 30 days to pick one out and finalize the deal.

By far and large, I was set on the SX230 in Louisiana posted on here before talking to the bank today. Now, they've got me thinking. It looks like I can easily get into a 2010/2011 242LS for sub-35K.

I'm open to anything 21' or larger. I don't need a tower. I'd prefer 2 front captains chairs, but that's not a deal breaker. I want HO engines. Something that already had upgraded audio and other basic mods would definitely entice me, but also not a deal breaker.

Plus side to the LA boat (or similar), I'm disciplined enough that I would have that paid off by the end of the year. If I spend 35K, I'll likely put my extra money into other assets and end up financing at least 5-10 years.

So, I ask again my fellow friends, what would you do? Up to 35K, they'll give me 10 years. Over that, 15. Pretty sure I don't wanna go any higher than that. I'd like to keep the payment below $300. If I find a 30K boat I like, I'll probably get 35 on it just for the better payment and put that extra into mods.

P.S. - If you haven't watched Jimmy Fallon's lip sync battle from last night yet, it's by far his best. Go check that shit out.

Is there a big difference between the 160hp engines and the 180hp? (aside from the obvious). In terms of reliability or economy I mean? Found a 212x I really like that seems priced well.

@veedubtek the 180 hp are the newer 1.8L motors. The 160 hp motors rev to 10k+ rpm where the 180 hp motors rev to 7600 rpm. Some say the 1.8L motors get better economy and are quieter as well.

Mine is on boat trader for $36,999. I know that is a bit over what your budget is but it has everything you described and is a great boat.

The earlier 1.8s have an oil cooler issue. Can someone fill in the year range?

The earlier 1.8s have an oil cooler issue. Can someone fill in the year range?
2010 1.8's had issues right at 100 hours for the most part. Some have said that the real early 2011 1.8's had the same issues but almost all documented cases I have read about have been in 2010. Mine included!

What is the issue exactly? And I'm sure there is a preventive fix of some sort?

Last edited:
Oil cooler bolt shears off, I think is the issue.

Thanks!

I'm also limited to 100% of nada retail without options. All my mad money is paying off my current boat, so that seems to keep limiting my choices and ruling out alot of boats I really like. I've still found 3 I like alot that fit this criteria though...

I think the big questions are how much do you want to spend and where is the value for money for you.

In 2012 I bought a 2005 LX210. It was an easy buy. I paid cash and felt confident I could get my money back. We had an amazing summer with her.

In 2013 I wanted a bigger boat. My SX230 became available with 3X hours on the engine in our favorite color for $24K which I felt was an acceptable price. I had my eye on a 242 that I could have bought for under $40K. I decided to jump on the SX230 and in about a week sold the LX210 and came up with cash to buy the SX230.

In 2014 I considered upgrading again. Instead of a newer boat we heavily upgraded our SX230 with full Hydro Teak, trim tabs, VHF, refrigerator, shower, dual batteries, new drain plug, on board charger and a Raymarine Dragonfly chart plotter / fish finder. And a family trip to Bimini.

In 2015, man those new 242s are tempting. But if I bought one I would have to spend an additional $4K plus all the hours to upgrade it to have the upgrades we enjoy in our SX230. This year we plan to go to gatherings in Texas and Missouri as well as a longer trip to Bimini.

For me it is a choice of whether I put the $$$$s into the boat or into enjoying the boat. For now we are happy to enjoy our SX230. Someday we will decide to upgrade her for a newer model.

I would encourage you to buy whatever 23 or 24 foot Yamaha best fits into your budget.

One thought to consider is a new Yamaha with their low interest special and a 15 year loan (you mentioned 15 may be OK). The payments will be around the range you are talking about based on what you borrow.

Yeah, I thought about new, and I'm going to the show this coming Saturday. Pretty sure I'm not going that route though. I got the same terms for even a used boat at this point through USAA, so I'm probably going to stick with that route.

Thanks for the plug fellas, much appreciated.

Good luck with your search @veedubtek . If you might be interested your welcome to make an offer. Lots of people on this board have been on my boat numerous times and can tell you their own opinion about it.

USAA will only give me average retail on any used boat. Which is extremely unflattering on a 212SS. Otherwise, I'd be interested in yours. Same problem with bign8's SX240 up above. Just about perfect, just can't go over NADA. Which really sucks, because I think both of these examples, and alot more, are worth far more than what NADA thinks.

I understand. Unfortunately that is going to be your problem on used. The condition you want will be worth/priced more than average NADA, and boats that are priced that way will be in below average condition. Though I didn't think NADA average was too far off from where I am. Good luck though.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-02-03-20-16-50.png
    Screenshot_2015-02-03-20-16-50.png
    390.4 KB · Views: 23
USAA will only give me average retail on any used boat. Which is extremely unflattering on a 212SS. Otherwise, I'd be interested in yours. Same problem with bign8's SX240 up above. Just about perfect, just can't go over NADA. Which really sucks, because I think both of these examples, and alot more, are worth far more than what NADA thinks.
I would seriously consider other credit unions. I'm a USAA member and they have my car insurance, but I have found they suck when it comes to other categories. I called them about refinancing my new Ford truck after I bought it from the dealer and took the rebate using dealer financing. They were crazy high compared to local credit unions. I also shopped USAA for mu homeowners insurance and they were double the Allstate insurance.

Seriously I would check with some local credit unions. I ended up financing my Ford truck through Intouch Credit Union. I had never heard of them until I did a search for new car refinance loans.

USAA is hands down the best place to get a boat loan from what I have seen, they also have an allowance over the NADA they will allow into the financing of the boat, for tax, title, tags and everything else that comes with the boat purchase...

Back