• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

The Subaru is now a tow rig

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I just installed a Curt reciever hitch on the wife's 2013 Subaru Outback this morning. I also installed the trailer light wiring plug kit. She wanted to be able to tow the 14' O'Day Javelin/trailer to the ramps instead of always using the truck. Makes sense, it is a light and short package easily done with her car. She is already looking for accessories that will mount to the reciever.

20201013_133402.jpg

18064.jpeg

Last edited:

Miitch

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
@zipper Welcome to the club! LOL. I’m also using my 2016 Outback as a tow rig for my 18ft sea doo. I wish they had a more “beefy” engine.. and something other than a CVT transmission. But their all wheel drive system is the absolute best.41E704AF-FF9E-4124-8DF2-0039AF55B07A.jpeg

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I installed a hitch on a customers Subaru many years ago, but I don’t recall whether or not I had to run the wiring. Some of these newer vehicles are really fun to run wires on, did yours fight you much?

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Since we put a hitch on the Prius our jetski usage has Increased dramatically. Getting 35mpg while is not bad either ....

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I installed a hitch on a customers Subaru many years ago, but I don’t recall whether or not I had to run the wiring. Some of these newer vehicles are really fun to run wires on, did yours fight you much?
No, it was pretty much "plug n play". Finding the socket behind the interior trim was the hardest part. Once found near the drivers side rear wheel well, it was easy. This one unfurls to the trailer connection from the inside of the car and gets closed in the rear hatch. The pigtail is not permanetly outside, like a truck. About 20 mins to install. The hitch was about 90 mins. Used the "fishwire" method, per the instructions, to install the bolts and washers. It worked well.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No, it was pretty much "plug n play". Finding the socket behind the interior trim was the hardest part. Once found near the drivers side rear wheel well, it was easy. This one unfurls to the trailer connection from the inside of the car and gets closed in the rear hatch. The pigtail is not permanetly outside, like a truck. About 20 mins to install. The hitch was about 90 mins. Used the "fishwire" method, per the instructions, to install the bolts and washers. It worked well.
So you didn't have to string anything over to the passenger side? That's usually what makes things fun, and most vehicles don't have the passenger side turn/brake light wiring in the harness on the driver side. Some even require a 12v supply wire to be strung up to the battery/fused link under the hood.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So you didn't have to string anything over to the passenger side? That's usually what makes things fun, and most vehicles don't have the passenger side turn/brake light wiring in the harness on the driver side. Some even require a 12v supply wire to be strung up to the battery/fused link under the hood.
No, plugged into socket, mounted a ground wire. All lights, directionals work.