• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

The thanks you get for helping people

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok lets tell you the story and you tell me if I'm wrong or right, I was going to post this a few months ago but i needed to calm down as i was absolutely furious, I live in Thailand and i buy Yamaha boat parts and store them simply because if i ever need them there at hand and i don't have to wait 3 months for my friend to come from America on holiday to bring them to me.

So i have a 2006 AR 230 and i look after it well and use it a reasonable amount it's in great condition as i do all the work myself, So i get a Tachometer fail just the one on the starboard engine, Ok everything still works except the tacho, My friend was coming over to Thailand for a holiday and he always bring's me anything i need so i go on Ebay and i see Yamaha Tachometers at crazy prices and i then see an advert for 2004 AR 230 Tachometers new at a reasonable price, They don't have a direct plug in only loose cables but hey it's not rocket science and it's just a Tachometer so i order 2 ( keep one for a spare you never know ) Before i purchase these tachometers i exchanged several emails with the seller and to cut a long story short, I was informed they were bankrupt stock but where made by Beede and they had around 200 of them to clear and they were new but didn't have the original box or any wiring details and when they were all sold there wouldn't be anymore, Ok i thought no big deal, I contacted Beede and sent them a photo of the advert and explained that i wished to purchase 2 of these and did they have any wiring details, I had a very quick reply saying that these were never made by Beede and they also said that they had no wiring details for them, Ah well i thought in for a penny in for a pound so i purchased 2 of these, My friend arrived and brought me the 2 Tachometers and they looked identical to my originals just missing the plug, I through courtesy send the company an email saying i had received them and not fitted them but was happy so far with there product, I had a reply saying that a Yamaha engineer had payed them a visit and gave them a wiring details so all was good.

Ok i thought lets get the one installed, So i started the job and soon found out that the wiring they supplied was nothing like what was on the 2006 AR 230 ok no problem don't cut the plug off the loom do the tests and piggy back the new Tachometers onto the loom so if all goes tits up i can just buy a Yamaha Tachometer and plug it into the original plug.

20190410_105606.jpg

Ok as you can see i did the tests and worked out the correct wiring don't forget the engine management warning lights and no wake mode, It didn't take me very long and all went well and i had a working Tachometer everything was 100% and i tidied up the wiring and refitted the dash, You can see my colour conversion piece of paper with the old wiring against the new.

20190606_114804.jpg

Ok this is the original receipt from Ebay you can see the total price and the quantity, I have covered my friends address as i didn't have his permission anyway after the job was complete i sent the seller an email explaining that the wiring to convert these to fit a 2006 AR 230 SX 230 etc that they had supplied was not correct and so i said to them in my email if any of your customers need to use these Tachometers this is the correct wiring sequence and sent them a copy of what i had worked out, I expressed my thanks and told them i was very happy with there product, I received a very nice email in return thanking me for the wiring as it would help future customers, Hey were all in the same boat here i thought it didn't take me long to work it out and it will help a customer if he wants to have a go himself.

20190903_095530.jpg

20190903_095449.jpg

This is the invoices that came with the new Tachometers, Ok all went well everyone's happy job done or so i thought, A few days after i was looking at my Ebay purchases just to see if they had included my wiring in the advert and the advert was no longer available but had been replaced by a new advert, That's interesting i thought so take a look.

20190606_114957.jpg

Wow what a difference a wiring diagram makes i thought, Straight away i emailed the company expressing my displeasure and saying that i had sent them the wiring details to help other boaters who wish to have a go at fitting them, I received an email saying that it was new stock and the supplier had increased the price, I replied and said they had 200 in stock according to what i had been told and the supplier had gone bankrupt according to there emails to me, I heard no more from them but you can imagine how i felt i was bloody fuming to think i had done there homework for them and they had repaid it by a massive price increase, If you read the top of the last Photo it says this item has been updated by the seller, Oh well you live and learn, Your thoughts would be appreciated I'm still in the recovery ward LOL.

Last edited:

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ok lets tell you the story and you tell me if I'm wrong or right, I was going to post this a few months ago but i needed to calm down as i was absolutely furious, I live in Thailand and i buy Yamaha boat parts and store them simply because if i ever need them there at hand and i don't have to wait 3 months for my friend to come from America on holiday to bring them to me.

So i have a 2006 AR 230 and i look after it well and use it a reasonable amount it's in great condition as i do all the work myself, So i get a Tachometer fail just the one on the starboard engine, Ok everything still works except the tacho, My friend was coming over to Thailand for a holiday and he always bring's me anything i need so i go on Ebay and i see Yamaha Tachometers at crazy prices and i then see an advert for 2004 AR 230 Tachometers new at a reasonable price, They don't have a direct plug in only loose cables but hey it's not rocket science and it's just a Tachometer so i order 2 ( keep one for a spare you never know ) Before i purchase these tachometers i exchanged several emails with the seller and to cut a long story short, I was informed they were bankrupt stock but where made by Beede and they had around 200 of them to clear and they were new but didn't have the original box or any wiring details and when they were all sold there wouldn't be anymore, Ok i thought no big deal, I contacted Beede and sent them a photo of the advert and explained that i wished to purchase 2 of these and did they have any wiring details, I had a very quick reply saying that these were never made by Beede and they also said that they had no wiring details for them, Ah well i thought in for a penny in for a pound so i purchased 2 of these, My friend arrived and brought me the 2 Tachometers and they looked identical to my originals just missing the plug, I through courtesy send the company an email saying i had received them and not fitted them but was happy so far with there product, I had a reply saying that a Yamaha engineer had payed them a visit and gave them a wiring details so all was good.

Ok i thought lets get the one installed, So i started the job and soon found out that the wiring they supplied was nothing like what was on the 2006 AR 230 ok no problem don't cut the plug off the loom do the tests and piggy back the new Tachometers onto the loom so if all goes tits up i can just buy a Yamaha Tachometer and plug it into the original plug.

View attachment 104294

Ok as you can see i did the tests and worked out the correct wiring don't forget the engine management warning lights and no wake mode, It didn't take me very long and all went well and i had a working Tachometer everything was 100% and i tidied up the wiring and refitted the dash, You can see my colour conversion piece of paper with the old wiring against the new.

View attachment 104295

Ok this is the original receipt from Ebay you can see the total price and the quantity, I have covered my friends address as i didn't have his permission anyway after the job was complete i sent the seller an email explaining that the wiring to convert these to fit a 2006 AR 230 SX 230 etc that they had supplied was not correct and so i said to them in my email if any of your customers need to use these Tachometers this is the correct wiring sequence and sent them a copy of what i had worked out, I expressed my thanks and told them i was very happy with there product, I received a very nice email in return thanking me for the wiring as it would help future customers, Hey were all in the same boat here i thought it didn't take me long to work it out and it will help a customer if he wants to have a go himself.

View attachment 104299

View attachment 104300

This is the invoices that came with the new Tachometers, Ok all went well everyone's happy job done or so i thought, A few days after i was looking at my Ebay purchases just to see if they had included my wiring in the advert and the advert was no longer available but had been replaced by a new advert, That's interesting i thought so take a look.

View attachment 104301

Wow what a difference a wiring diagram makes i thought, Straight away i emailed the company expressing my displeasure and saying that i had sent them the wiring details to help other boaters who wish to have a go at fitting them, I received an email saying that it was new stock and the supplier had increased the price, I replied and said they had 200 in stock according to what i had been told and the supplier had gone bankrupt according to there emails to me, I heard no more from them but you can imagine how i felt i was bloody fuming to think i had done there homework for them and they had repaid it by a massive price increase, Oh well you live and learn, Your thoughts would be appreciated I'm still in the recovery ward LOL.

I have run into similar stuff with folks profiting from information I give them or others in the spirit of sharing knowledge for the greater good. Had someone else figured out the wiring and told them you would have paid more. It is important to remeber those willing to lay out the capital on a gamble deserve to profit when they can. At the very least it would be nice if they refunded your purchase as a thank you but that is not quite how businesses always works. Yes it sucks given your intent but don’t let it dissuade you from helping your fellow man. I am sure there are those you have helped who have truly appreciated it and passed it along. When something like this happens think about those people.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for that but it still leaves a bad taste in your mouth

Reactions: Gym

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree with you @Geoff Cooper. We, on this forum, also profit from your information. Just in a different way.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree with you @Geoff Cooper. We, on this forum, also profit from your information. Just in a different way.
Oh well that's nice to know thanks for that, It just makes me mad now just thinking about it, I must admit i was shocked.

IvanRZB

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When I read that Beede told you directly that they didn't manufacture these parts I fully expected the story to end with you having a couple of tacho shells filled with rocks.

Glad it's actually functional, the seller lying about the manufacturer was the first sign they weren't being fully honest. There's so much counterfeit/knockoff merchandise online, who knows where these parts are actually coming from. It's possible the reason their "Yamaha engineer-supplied" wiring diagram didn't match your part is because it's from an actual OEM part, and these guys are selling knockoff parts that--as we say in America--"fell off the truck".

In the end it's good you got a working part for the price you intended to pay, but I do fully understand feeling like they've taken advantage of your good intentions.

@Geoff Cooper , would you do something differently if the situation happened again?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That is pretty sick....you can see in the selling history the crazy price change!

I've never had an issue with Greatlakesskipper - in fact the went out of their way to find me a part years ago for my LX210. That is a crazy price jump though!

I suspect that the price jump has more to do with a review of their price point than solely the wiring diagram though. Perhaps a junior employee listed them at $60 initially, then someone else reviewed and decided they could sell them for much more (and it seems at least one person was willing to pay the $225!).

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When I read that Beede told you directly that they didn't manufacture these parts I fully expected the story to end with you having a couple of tacho shells filled with rocks.

Glad it's actually functional, the seller lying about the manufacturer was the first sign they weren't being fully honest. There's so much counterfeit/knockoff merchandise online, who knows where these parts are actually coming from. It's possible the reason their "Yamaha engineer-supplied" wiring diagram didn't match your part is because it's from an actual OEM part, and these guys are selling knockoff parts that--as we say in America--"fell off the truck".

In the end it's good you got a working part for the price you intended to pay, but I do fully understand feeling like they've taken advantage of your good intentions.

@Geoff Cooper , would you do something differently if the situation happened again?
There's little i could do obviously if i was aware of there intentions i wouldn't have told them the wiring sequence just put a message on here and a copy of the advert and advised any buyers to contact me for the correct wiring, I was amazed, Ok put the price up a little maybe $10 but don't take the piss, Regarding them selling me non working parts i was covered by Pay Pal and i have had that experience before and Pay Pal were superb full refund in less than a week and seller pays return postage.
Thanks for the comments.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes, I think it may be more of a greater understanding of the value of what they are holding. It may have shown up in a liquidation crate holding so many items, they might not know what they are selling. Someone figured out there is no alternative to this if you want the factory look and they are expensive otherwise, so why not charge more.

Rarity drives the cost.

Don't sweat it if you can.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is pretty sick....you can see in the selling history the crazy price change!

View attachment 104428

I've never had an issue with Greatlakesskipper - in fact the went out of their way to find me a part years ago for my LX210. That is a crazy price jump though!

I suspect that the price jump has more to do with a review of their price point than solely the wiring diagram though. Perhaps a junior employee listed them at $60 initially, then someone else reviewed and decided they could sell them for much more (and it seems at least one person was willing to pay the $225!).
They had been sold at the original price for a lifetime Julian I'm always looking for whats for sale for our boats on Ebay and i had kept an eye on them for months and months, It was the contradiction of Emails that got me as one department gave me the sales bullshit and then after i had complained i got a different story from what must have been the complaints department.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, I think it may be more of a greater understanding of the value of what they are holding. It may have shown up in a liquidation crate holding so many items, they might not know what they are selling. Someone figured out there is no alternative to this if you want the factory look and they are expensive otherwise, so why not charge more.

Rarity drives the cost.

Don't sweat it if you can.
I contacted them later to see what would happen if i ordered 2 more and explained i had already recently purchased 2 and they offered me a 10% discount off the new price.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
They had been sold at the original price for a lifetime Julian I'm always looking for whats for sale for our boats on Ebay and i had kept an eye on them for months and months, It was the contradiction of Emails that got me as one department gave me the sales bullshit and then after i had complained i got a different story from what must have been the complaints department.
Being honest can go a long way! Pity they don't realize that....

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Being honest can go a long way! Pity they don't realize that....
What i must say in there defence Julian is the product works well, The delivery was excellent, I consider i had a good deal, Shame the different departments just cant get it right and for Gods sake is there really a need for this kind of business practice in this day and age.

Just a quick story that happened in one of my Bangkok trips, I was looking for a couple of LED spotlights for the Jeep and i went into a shop in Bangkok and seen 2 i liked so i asked the price and the Lady told me 3500 Thai Baht for the 2, Not always but depends where you are but Europeans are charged more than Thai people because it's considered they have more money, Anyway i had a look around and got a KFC and a couple of hours later i went into a 7/11 shop for a drink and seen a lady customer in there so i ask her could she help me, I ask her to go into that shop and buy the 2 spotlights, She agreed and i said don't pay more that 2800 Thai baht for them, She came back with the spotlights and was charged 2300 Thai baht, I gave her 500 baht for 5 minutes work she was over the moon as that's 200 baht more than she would earn in a day, I expect that here but not when it's done on Ebay like it happened.

Today's conversion rate in case your interested..........2300 Thai baht equals... 75.24 us dollar

405.jpg

Of course it couldn't end there we became good friends after so here's a photo for Gym's sake lol ( Oh and the spotlights worked well also )