• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

The ultimate leak finding thread <post if you find a new source!>

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Very nice write-up! Thanks for that.

Top screw hole was stripped out for the factory #8 screw, so used a #10 screw on reassembly.
You know, the stripped screw may have been a big part of your problem. If they stripped that at the factory, water might have been coming in right through the stripped screw... No doubt you improved the seal everywhere, but that one screw change may have been 70% of your issue.

johhnyboat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The one thing on this very comprehensive list is the sealing around the gas tank and ski locker hatches. I didn't see any water in the ski locker so I don't think that's the issue. I just washed my decking really well and had tons of water getting into the bilge area. I will also have to check all of the cup holders to see if the hoses are attached properly. Running water to them looked like they were draining on the deck as they should, however all of the hoses on the swim deck were disconnected, so that may be the culprit.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The one thing on this very comprehensive list is the sealing around the gas tank and ski locker hatches. I didn't see any water in the ski locker so I don't think that's the issue. I just washed my decking really well and had tons of water getting into the bilge area. I will also have to check all of the cup holders to see if the hoses are attached properly. Running water to them looked like they were draining on the deck as they should, however all of the hoses on the swim deck were disconnected, so that may be the culprit.
Yeah.....the floor drains on these boats don't handle much water, not much one can do about that (short of caulking the hatch closed)

johhnyboat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yeah.....the floor drains on these boats don't handle much water, not much one can do about that (short of caulking the hatch closed)
I think that is why the first mod for anyone (which was mine), is to add a bilge pump in the actual bilge area.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I think that is why the first mod for anyone (which was mine), is to add a bilge pump in the actual bilge area.
I measured the amount of water it took until the stock bilge pumped water and it was only 3-5 gallons. That said, I added a 2nd bilge pump just for offshore boating redundancy (Bimini trips)

johhnyboat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I measured the amount of water it took until the stock bilge pumped water and it was only 3-5 gallons. That said, I added a 2nd bilge pump just for offshore boating redundancy (Bimini trips)
really, it seems like it holds way more water then that, but I didn't measure specifically. It's good to know.