• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

The upgrade!

oramac

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Greetings all. We just recently took possession of our brand new blue SX210. I've boated much of my life, but my family finally purchased a 'starter' boat in 2017; a 1989 ThunderCraft 180LS with a 4.3 Mercruiser, 'FORCE AWAKENS'. After four seasons, we decided to take the plunge, and invest in a forever boat. The experience with our TC was awesome, but it helped us to narrow down what we actually wanted in a boat. The Yamaha checked all of our boxes. Now, we are waiting for the spring thaw to create new memories in 'ASOAKIN' FAREWELL'
IMG_20200912_120522066_HDR.jpgFB_IMG_1612974964221.jpgIMG_20210130_131511589_HDR.jpg

oramac

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So, what were we looking for? Well, the back-to- back seating of the eighties doesn't compare to the newer wraparound seating, increased seating capacity, lots more useable storage, fuel injection, cockpit table, tall bimini instead of the snap-down type from the past, and that swim platform, of course. Also, the difference in maintenance is stark. I'm a stickler for my timely maintenance, and there is a great deal of that on a thirty year old I.O. carbureted motor. I enjoy working on my machines, but I found myself maintaining nearly as much as using, and I'm getting to an age where I'd rather use it more than wrench on it. Oh, and wood. No more wood.

We did several upgrades on our old boat; stereo, lighting, floor coverings, etc., but upgrades only go so far. This Yamaha scratches all the right itches.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome. It is a fantastic boat. I see snow on the ground, not sure where you are at, but hopefully spring comes soon for all of us.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
So, what were we looking for? Well, the back-to- back seating of the eighties doesn't compare to the newer wraparound seating, increased seating capacity, lots more useable storage, fuel injection, cockpit table, tall bimini instead of the snap-down type from the past, and that swim platform, of course. Also, the difference in maintenance is stark. I'm a stickler for my timely maintenance, and there is a great deal of that on a thirty year old I.O. carbureted motor. I enjoy working on my machines, but I found myself maintaining nearly as much as using, and I'm getting to an age where I'd rather use it more than wrench on it. Oh, and wood. No more wood.

We did several upgrades on our old boat; stereo, lighting, floor coverings, etc., but upgrades only go so far. This Yamaha scratches all the right itches.
I too came from a 2006 Bayliner, still with the back to back seating. No wood, but all the maintenance a guy would want with the little 3.0 mercruiser. Welcome to the club!

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
What's up @oramac , looks like you are in Indiana? If you are near the Indy metro area and need any help/tips I would be more than happy to help out.

rad1026

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm coming from a 1989 Chaparral 2100sx. Chevy 5.7L carbureted. After a complete 2.5 year transom rebuild I completely understand not wanting to work on the boat as much any more. Getting to the age I want to just go have fun. Welcome!

oramac

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What's up @oramac , looks like you are in Indiana? If you are near the Indy metro area and need any help/tips I would be more than happy to help out.
We're in Terre Haute. But, we bought the boat at Just Add Water.

'Forever Boat'? Is there such a thing?? Aren't we all looking for the next boat in the lineup?
I am very...committed? I have my cars/motorcycles/boats/etc. long-term, and typically become very attached. I routinely own vehicles well beyond their payoffs, and often sell them in as-good or better condition than when I buy them. Any maintenance is always done with oem, or better if available, parts. Our ThunderCraft is no exception. Since owning it, I replaced the 1988 Pioneer supertuner III tape deck and two 4.5" speakers with a Kenwood bluetooth head unit, six speakers, Kenwood amp and subs, led interior lighting, dual battery set-up, made several mechanical and cosmetic upgrades, and I have caught up all the maintenance from bow to stern including bow protector, keel guard, skeg guard, and polishing and ceramic coating the hull. I have several friends and family members that want our old boat.

20190712_093857.jpg 'FORCE AWAKENS' with my daughter at the helm.
1613009169130.png At Dale Hollow, last July.
20190709_054911.jpg Covered every time it wasn't in use.
1613009348483.png Last cleaning and winterization this fall.

Ok, that's enough of the old boat. Obviously, we really enjoyed her.

That being said, we bought that boat to make sure that my wife would like boating as much as I do (before spending new-boat money), and to really work out exactly what we want from our boating experiences. Four years later, this is the boat we've chosen. So, yeah, this may very well be the last boat I buy, especially if the Yamaha motors are as good as advertised.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
'Forever Boat'? Is there such a thing?? Aren't we all looking for the next boat in the lineup?
Nope...I have my forever boat too, right size for towing and plenty of room and power for our needs. Probably pass this down to the kids when we're too old to have fun.
:D

rad1026

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice looking Thunder Craft! My old 1989 Chaparral is in very good condition. It will make someone very happy. I really hope this Yamaha is the last boat I buy.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Nice looking Thunder Craft! My old 1989 Chaparral is in very good condition. It will make someone very happy. I really hope this Yamaha is the last boat I buy.
Me too...at $83k CDN it's the second largest purchase after our house.
🤪

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Got any pics? We like seeing older boats in good shape...saw a 1999 Baja that looked and ran like new. Thank goodness fiberglass doesn't rust!
:D

906Tony

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

I am very...committed? I have my cars/motorcycles/boats/etc. long-term, and typically become very attached. I routinely own vehicles well beyond their payoffs, and often sell them in as-good or better condition than when I buy them. Any maintenance is always done with oem, or better if available, parts. Our ThunderCraft is no exception. Since owning it, I replaced the 1988 Pioneer supertuner III tape deck and two 4.5" speakers with a Kenwood bluetooth head unit, six speakers, Kenwood amp and subs, led interior lighting, dual battery set-up, made several mechanical and cosmetic upgrades, and I have caught up all the maintenance from bow to stern including bow protector, keel guard, skeg guard, and polishing and ceramic coating the hull. I have several friends and family members that want our old boat.

View attachment 141948 'FORCE AWAKENS' with my daughter at the helm.
View attachment 141951 At Dale Hollow, last July.
View attachment 141949 Covered every time it wasn't in use.
View attachment 141952 Last cleaning and winterization this fall.

That being said, we bought that boat to make sure that my wife would like boating as much as I do (before spending new-boat money), and to really work out exactly what we want from our boating experiences. Four years later, this is the boat we've chosen. So, yeah, this may very well be the last boat I buy, especially if the Yamaha motors are as good as advertised.
That old boat is in amazing condition for it’s age! Congrats on the Yamaha too!

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Chatt_Jetsetter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length

I get it, and I agree...but I loved the pic of your boat with the back to back seats. So many memories, and I can even smell the wet vinyl and marine grade carpeting again :)

Mully262

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length

View attachment 141948 'FORCE AWAKENS' with my daughter at the helm.
View attachment 141951 At Dale Hollow, last July.
View attachment 141949 Covered every time it wasn't in use.
View attachment 141952 Last cleaning and winterization this fall.

The sunset pic is the best!!! Boat in calm water. Anchor line on shore. It is the epitome of a great day!

Attachments

oramac

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Got the new boat uncovered last week, and started getting her ready for the season. The name decals are on order, and the upgraded amp and speakers are in the cart. So ready to make new memories!

IMG_20210302_161000872.jpgIMG_20210302_162759893_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210302_161227420.jpg

Mully262

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length