• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

There are TWO changes to EVERY boat in the 2017 line up! And one other change...

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
As I hinted in the 2017 new boats thread, there are 2 changes to every boat in the line up, and one change to the deluxe models in the line up.

The first change will be a welcome one for many of you....a NEW CLEAN OUT PLUG DESIGN! Yes, they've finally changed the plug to a design that cannot blow out (unless you don't install it properly). It has fixed dogs and twists into place. If the handle isn't parallel to hatch lines it isn't locked -unlocked, the handle is at a 45 degree angle, when twisted and locked it is at a 90 degree angle from the bow/stern line. This is REALLY easy to tell!

My only concern with this new design is what happens if you don't keep your plugs clean? I asked Yamaha about this and they said they tested it and that it is designed to be easy to twist out. I'm not convinced, and can forsee a plug twisting device in someone's future! LOL Something like a water shut off valve big T handle. Their comment...lube them and keep them clean and remove them between outings and you'll be fine.

Delighted they finally made this change!!!!!

The second change is they moved the engine flush ports to the swim deck. Now this change I'm not so sure is a good idea. You are typically in the cockpit when you are flushing...this will force you to go to the stern to turn on the water after you start the engines. Not a big deal....but less easy. It will mean that if your ports aren't closed properly....the water will just run off the swim deck. I'm also wondering how this will be when doing oil changes (for those of us that do them ourselves). Time will tell on this change. You can see the flush ports in this photo:
upload_2016-8-21_22-28-11.png

The last change is to all the deluxe models...they now have snap in Seamat (think Seadek) in all the cockpit areas. This seamat is very thick and although I didn't measure it, seemed thicker than Seadek brand. They made it snap in so that you could still easily clean the boat, and if a piece gets damaged, you can just order new parts and snap it in with no glue and no fuss. They said they were trying to get this done for last year....just a year too late for me and my 242X! This is a nice touch!!!

Last edited:

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Two out of three ain't bad... Removable sea mat sounds like it would have been nicer to have than the Seadek I just put in, twist plugs is only slightly positive - you're right, if they're seized what do you do? And put me down for a 'fail' for the new flush port location. Looks like a PITA to access.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I like that seamat! The new cleanout plugs are pretty slick. What keeps them from rattling loose?

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So no changes to the 240 series other then clean out plug and moved flush port correct?

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
And the deluxe levels get removable Seamat in the cabin. (and some new color schemes)
Sounds good that means I can keep looking for a left over 16 the color combos are nice

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Was hoping that the 2 new in every boat was going to be twin TR1's, not cleanout plugs and flush ports :(

All great updates so very positive.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Julian did the add seadeck to the ar240? Still makes no sense to me the sx240 came with seadeck last year and not the ar240

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Was hoping that the 2 new in every boat was going to be twin TR1's, not cleanout plugs and flush ports :(

All great updates so very positive.
You wouldn't want twin TR1s in the 24' boats.....

I did ask them why they haven't put 2 big pumps and twin 250's in a 24' boat to make a 60mph monster, and their reply was that there wasn't a market for a boat that fast and that expensive......I think it would sell for those that love speed....but can see their point to some degree. I also think the attorneys get in the way of some of their choices. When they build the whole boat, it is up to them to ensure it is safe. If someone take two 300hp outboards and sticks them on a small boat....not their fault....

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Julian did the add seadeck to the ar240? Still makes no sense to me the sx240 came with seadeck last year and not the ar240
OK...they didn't clarify with me which models specifically woulds have removable Seamat.....I wasn't aware that the SX240 has Seadek in it....are you sure that wasn't an dealer add on?

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
OK...they didn't clarify with me which models specifically woulds have removable Seamat.....I wasn't aware that the SX240 has Seadek in it....are you sure that wasn't an dealer add on?
Yamaha site has the SX240 with:

Snap-in Soft Marine-grade Carpet

Chip F.

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Anybody know if the new seamat will fit in a 16 sx240? Mine has the snap in carpet

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yamaha site has the SX240 with:

Snap-in Soft Marine-grade Carpet
Sorry should have clarified the sx240 comes stock with sea deck instead of hydroturf on the swim deck and anchor locker the AR240 was still using hydro turf for some reason. Both came with interior carpet correct. If the pics of the 2017 are accurate to stock it appears they may have changed it this year.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Anybody know if the new seamat will fit in a 16 sx240?
I asked that and it will fit, but it will NOT line up with your carpeting snaps....you would have to move and/or put in new snaps. I asked that question specifically for my boat..... :-(

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@robert843 Seadek was just for swim platform in my ar240 (2016)
I'm so glad I pulled the trigger when I did.

EDIT: Seadek also on top of anchor locker and the little step.

Last edited:

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@robert843 Seadek was just for swim platform in my ar240 (2016)
I'm so glad I pulled the trigger when I did.
Your 16 came stock with sea deck? Maybe they changed last year and I missed it

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Weather you like the new features or not, it is ultra cool that Yamaha is listening to its user base (us) and improving their boats. Keep suggesting things guys!!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Your 16 came stock with sea deck? Maybe they changed last year and I missed it
Yes, but its only on the swim platform. I actually like it that way.

EDIT: Seadek also on top of anchor locker and the little step.

Not sure what to think about those removable Seamats... I dry slip, removing those to get them washed and dried would seem a lot more difficult than dealing with carpet. If anything, I would go with seadek throughout, but will stick with carpet for now.

Last edited:

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If anything, I would go with seadek throughout
The removable seamat is just like seadek. They only decided to make it removable so you could easily replace it if it were damaged....and clean it easier IF you wanted to. I suspect most would just leave it in and hose it off--rarely removing it.