• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thinking about a new Ranger, thoughts

afsigma21

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Looking at the NEW Ford Rangers. Might pull trigger in the Fall when the 2020 come out. I would ONLY look at the Lariat package with Tow package. 7500#s towing and the 10 speed transmission.

I think this would tow better than my tired 07 Ram 1500 with 5.7 and 5 speed.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
why would you consider the ranger over the F150? I am just curious as the reviews ( and sales) have not been great for it.

afsigma21

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Well, I don't need a full size truck I dont think. I have a 21' so 7500# is plenty. The gas mileage is better too. That is my logic anyway, I can downsize a little, get a little better gas mileage, thats a win win. I store my boat 1 mile from the ramp. I do occasionally tow a few hours. Bimini next year is a MAYBE. Just not thinking I need the lesser mpg of the F150

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I get it! That was my line of thinking when I went for a V6 Durango. I didn't realize the Ranger could tow 7500! Impressive! Is that the 4x4 crew cab?

afsigma21

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yes.
I am looking at the supercrew Lariat.

I INSIST on the upgraded B&O stereo, so I have to get the Lariat, which does also come with all the other goodies.

270HP/310 Tq with a 3.73 rear end and 10 speed tranny. I "Think" it will tow BETTER than what I have now.

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
19_FRD_RGR_41210_XLT_Base_Super_Crew.jpeg
Looks good!👍

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The back seats in those things are beyond horrendous. Actually all midsize trucks suck for anyone trying to ride in the back seat, aside from the Gladiator. That has a decent amount of room back there. If I was buying any truck today midsize or full......it'd be the Ram. If I was hell bent on a midsize it'd be gladiator. However, the cost justification is hard to stomach. The new Ram trucks are winning awards left and right for a reason.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
for the record “awards” are typically “bought” through “independent” and overpriced services rendered to the winner.

I know this for fact as I have done analytical work for clients so they can decide where they get the best bang for the buck.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
for the record “awards” are typically “bought” through “independent” and overpriced services rendered to the winner.

I know this for fact as I have done analytical work for clients so they can decide where they get the best bang for the buck.
Aside from the industry "awards" they're getting insane reviews as well from both independent reviewers and professional "bought" reviewers.

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
2019-Ford-Ranger-Raptor-107.jpg2019-Ford-Ranger-Raptor-105.jpg
Raptor coming!

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just used my avalanche to drive 4 hours each way, truck did “fine” but I have a lead foot, and really hated not being able to accelerate, any one tow with a 5.3 Silverado? How is your acceleration? Not sure if it’s gearing on the avalanche that make it so slow on acceleration.
B8A6DC69-CBAF-49C1-860C-6CCAC74E38C1.jpeg

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@saku if you are happy I am happy. I just wanted to point out a not so well known fact

afsigma21

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ram is a great truck, dont get me wrong, but I lose 10mpg for 90% of my driven miles. That does not make sense for me. This is why I am looking smaller. If I have my adult kids wanting to go with me to the lake, they drive themselves anyway.

Ranger has about same HP and more torque than the gladiator. Better MPG too. MPG is not posted but its a 3.6 v6, which wont get 24 combined mpg

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I’ve had all brands... we traded our 14, 3/4ton mega cab 2500 in for a 18 ram 1500. We will be staying with Ram due to pricing. Ford/Gm do offer decent pricing at specific times of the year, but you can get rams for 10k Back of Msrp all day long, every day. If you want a ranger, Go for it!!! I promise you your 08 1/2 ton handles that 21 foot boat better than any mid size truck ever will. But if it’s a short tow, and your good with it, More power to you!!

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm considering a ranger too. The back seat does suck a bit, but the price and mpg is nice. Truthfully I'm all over the map. My wife wants me to consolidate vehicles. The Wrangler stays for sure, but the mustang, excursion, and Vic are up for consideration. I'm also thinking about a f100 on a crown Vic frame, and a scat pack or hellcat charger. The other part of me wants to keep my old junk and save the 50k.

Scarabpaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have a GMC Canyon with a 7000lb towing capacity that i tow my scarab 215 with, its hovering around the 5000lb mark and i would not tow much more than that with it. my truck is a crew cab with 6ft box so it is very stable towing due to its longer wheelbase ( ford doesn't offer the 6ft box for crew cabs). i would not even think about towing over 7k with a ranger or my truck so if you are ever planning to upgrade to a larger boat i would just go full size.... overall though this is my second midsize truck and i absolutely love it, fuel economy is good, comfortable ride, easy to park.

a family member bought the Ranger ( Lariat) and i am really not that impressed. interior looks like a 2015 ford explorer, not what i would expect for a 53k truck ( they rip us off in Canada). not bashing ford, my wife drives a 2017 explorer sport....

afsigma21

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
For me the big difference between Canyon and Ranger is 3.42 vs 3.73

They are similar Hp/Tq (excluding diesel) so I think the gear ratio is a win for ranger.

My 07 ram 1500 has a 3.55 rear and tows it like crap.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I’ve had all brands... we traded our 14, 3/4ton mega cab 2500 in for a 18 ram 1500. We will be staying with Ram due to pricing. Ford/Gm do offer decent pricing at specific times of the year, but you can get rams for 10k Back of Msrp all day long, every day. If you want a ranger, Go for it!!! I promise you your 08 1/2 ton handles that 21 foot boat better than any mid size truck ever will. But if it’s a short tow, and your good with it, More power to you!!
What do you mean you can get 10,000 off MSRP? Is that some specific promotion?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just used my avalanche to drive 4 hours each way, truck did “fine” but I have a lead foot, and really hated not being able to accelerate, any one tow with a 5.3 Silverado? How is your acceleration? Not sure if it’s gearing on the avalanche that make it so slow on acceleration.
Check the gearing in that thing. Anything lower than the 3.42's are gonna be slow to accelerate. My '04 Yukon had the 3.73 gears and it did GREAT with my Rinker 182 behind it. My current 5.3 Sierra does great with my AR190 behind it as well. It has the 6spd and 3.42 gears.

I've been considering downgrading my truck lately. I need to save some money on my commute and the mileage of a diesel is very appealing while still maintaining a decent tow rating. Sadly I can't stand the tiny interiors on these smaller trucks. They're 75% of the size of 1/2 ton truck, but the interior feels about 40-50% smaller. Where did all that space go?

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
While I have my own thoughts about the look of it ...

I would wait for some real world reviews. I would find it hard to believe it would out perform the Ram in any towing aspect, even though it is a few generations old. Towing 5k is probably going to get same gas milage as your truck now, the Ram should also feel a lot better and smoother.

At that price range you could get a '19 Ram Big Horn, which is going to be a significant upgrade over what you have now and the Ranger. Find one with e-torque and you are probably around 19-20MPG combined, otherwise 17-18.