• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thinking about buying a Jet Ski

BoatSki

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Don't worry I'm going to keep my YJB but I've always wanted a jet ski. There's many times when its just me and all my friends are on jet skis so I think it would get a lot of use. I really like the newer style Sea-Doo RXP-X, I found a used one with 70 hours and thinking about buying one. I'll only bite if the guy give me a good deal on it though. Just thought I'd share. If I get one I will post a pic.

BoatSki

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great picture, looks like a ton of fun! There's an island that all we go to a couple miles from my marina and it would be so much easier to just hop on a ski and go after work. I have heard the term couches before haha. What do you think about the new Sea-Doo Spark line up?

BoatSki

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They look like a fun nimble machine but they just dont have enough speed to keep up with my buddy's with superchargers. I need to be able to go 70+mph.

BoatSki

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm trying to talk a guy down from $11,500 on a 2012 Rxp-X with 70 hours. Its still under warranty until 2016. KBB value says $9,900.

BoatSki

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I forgot about NADA this is great info thanks!

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've got a 2012 GTX Limited iS260 with 40 hours WITH a blown motor for sale if anyone is interested.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've got too much bad history with older two stoke Seadoo pwcs and some of the recent horror stories about their reliability would keep me from buying another one even though they seem to have the latest tech.

If speed is what I was after in a sit down pwc I'd look for a previously owned yamaha or Kawasaki. I super charged yamaha with a 1.8 liter engine should do 65 to 70 mph even with just 200 hp. I've read that there is an industry agreement to keep the top speed of pwcs below 75 mph. Maybe that is why the 300 hp kawasakis can't go faster, out of the box anyway.

When looking at nada realize that the price of the trailer is often excluded where pwcs are concerned.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'd stay away from the SeaDoo line. Of the vendors Yamaha is by far the most reliable, Kawasaki next, but SeaDoo is a distant third. If you race and expect to do a bunch of wrenching then a SeaDoo might be the best choice. For regular riding I'd go with the Yamaha line.

Nine years of a large PWC club is my experience. SeaDoos are the only skis that ever broke down on club rides. Electrical problems were the most common failure.

Lots of people have had good luck with SeaDoos but on average expect to have more problems with them.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I scored a deal on my waverunner. picked it up in August 2010 as a dealer Demo. had 20 hours on it ...it is a 2010 vlx, I paid $7.5K for it.....

key item on this ski (as with most in this class).....its 10+ feet long and I believe 750 pounds. the result is a great ride...no porpoising or knocking your fillings out on waves.....and it still gets airborne just fine ! Mine is a 3 seater....so its very comfortable for a morning ride with my wife..

upload_2014-3-6_10-21-19.png

Dough

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I'm a hold out in the jet ski market. Loved the spark at the boat show, but don't trust the engine. My fingers are crossed yamaha makes one! Don't really get the 11' go fast boats.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
buy a yamaha the new hulls are great and the engines are super reliable as are the pumps. I put 500 hours on the s h o before ever doing a thing to it.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The sparks are interesting. My son works at a Yamaha dealer. Many of the staff there are buying Sparks because they've taken them out for rides and love them. Still they are SeaDoo so I'd wait a couple of years to see if SeaDoo did anything to bump the reliability up to Yamaha levels. Having a boat that is down and in the garage is one thing. Having a ski break down on the water is not acceptable.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
tom%20and%20katie%20jet%20ski-thumb.jpg yup they look clueless oh wait I mean HAPPY to me,lol I wonder when they figured out the ski sunk?