• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thinking of buying a 2023 AR 220 but...

AP_Boat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looking for feedback on
1) I have heard that the Yamaha boats are much louder than an average propeller boat... do you find this to be true?
2) Is going in reverse much more difficult than a prop boat?

Your feedback is appreciated.

Thank you!

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes they are louder than a prop boat

Yes reverse on jet boats are not as responsive as prop boats

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
1) I have heard that the Yamaha boats are much louder than an average propeller boat... do you find this to be true?
I wouldn't say 100% of the time they are louder. With the new design of the 22' I bet it's a lot different than the older models. Be worth a test drive to see if the sound levels are a deal breaker to you.

Reverse isn't more difficult if you ask me, just different and takes time behind the wheel getting use to it. Not something that would be so bad I wouldn't buy a jet boat over a I/O or outboard. A lot of other benefits that out weigh this one difference.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
The 22's need a twin SVHO option.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think there is a new 22' XD option that has this.

Thing has to be an absolute rocketship with that power in a smaller hull.

Mesa50

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Spartanburg, South Carolina Lake Hartwell/Keowee
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XE
Boat Length
A bit louder, and reverse is slightly sluggish, and less responsive than a prop driven boat. Interior layout, ease of maintenance, style, sporty feel etc, makes me like my Yamaha better than my last prop boat though.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think there is a new 22' XD option that has this.

Thing has to be an absolute rocketship with that power in a smaller hull.
I believe they are just the standard 1.8's in the XD, unfortuantely.

Tex72

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looking for feedback on

Thank you!
Jetboat Pilot has lateral thrusters that are supposed to help in reverse. It’s on my list of accessories to purchase.
My limited experience is: You get better at it/used to it…until you do, have a couple of deck hands around.

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I've had an outboard, an I/O and two jets. Jets are different but whether an outboard, I/O or jet, they all take practice and experience to master.

I was in the BVI back in May and we were in a flotilla with some friends. We rented a 51' Power Cat. They get lots of wind down there and there were no bow or stern thrusters. While we only had to use mooring balls, watching the experienced captains dock these yacts in the wind was amazing. Just using two stationary props and a rudder they could dock these things anywhere.... it all came down to practice, experience and confidence.

Watch this guy maneuver this AR210 in tight quarters. This is a stock boat with no upgrades to the jet. Granted there looks to be no wind or current but it shows you the maneuverability of a jet with practice and experience.

Wind and currents can be challenging but I have watched plenty of boats with props struggle in wind and currents.

Here is a docking video with some wind....

Here's one more video that shows how you can use the throttles for tight maneuvering.

Last edited:

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Looking for feedback on

Thank you!
1. A modern 250HP Yamaha Outboard is significantly quieter. An old school 2 stroke is significantly louder.

2. Difficult - no; different yes. Cobra Jet makes a great steering system which makes a huge difference in reverse. In either case practice makes perfect.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I like fast vehicles but I really don’t think my 212 needs any more power. The hole shot is already very fast and you need fairly smooth water when you get up around top speed with these hulls as is. I can’t imagine this boat with 500hp, seems like I would just hit full throttle a lot less and have to worry about the potential for trouble that comes with two supercharged engines.

I’d also probably change my mind in 2 seconds if I drove one.