• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thinking of getting a dog

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The youngest daughter (13) has about wore me down. She wants to be a dog trainer. She has a job walking the neighbors dogs a couple nights a week so she's shown some responsibility.

I love dogs but realize they are a lot of work and my family isn't the most disciplined.

We have a large house, home school 3 kids, our back yard is about 1/2 acre of open grass but it's not fenced, it backs up to a creek that feeds the lake. This will primarily be an inside dog. We previously had a mini dachshund for 12 years, she past away about 8 years ago. She was an protective little dog, she loved us but didn't have a problem growling/nipping at people she thought were threats.

I hate the shedding hair and was bitten by a german Sheppard when I was young so I'm very aware what an untrained dog can do. I don't want to take a chance with a larger dog that we may not train properly that may hurt someone.

So, most retrievers, pointers, setters ( I love working dogs) are out because of shedding. Your Rots, Dobermans, sheppards I'm just wary of because I don't want to have an issue if they hurt someone else (it's amusing when your weiner dog is nipping at somebody's shoe, it's not when a rot is growling)

I'm thinking of going to a rescue. We don't need or necessarily want a puppy.

I'm thinking of a Boxer, we had a neighbor who had two and they swore by them. @txav8r or @Andy S any suggestions?

If not I think we'll probably end up with some sort of yorkie, schnauzer, something.

Johmas50

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Unless you are just set on a purebred dog it’s tough to beat a Labradoodle. You get the athleticism and size of a lab/standard poodle and minimal or no shedding. We rescued one in Kentucky and we love her, great dog, smart and athletic and no shedding.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
IMG_7540.jpg
The youngest daughter (13) has about wore me down. She wants to be a dog trainer. She has a job walking the neighbors dogs a couple nights a week so she's shown some responsibility.

I love dogs but realize they are a lot of work and my family isn't the most disciplined.

We have a large house, home school 3 kids, our back yard is about 1/2 acre of open grass but it's not fenced, it backs up to a creek that feeds the lake. This will primarily be an inside dog. We previously had a mini dachshund for 12 years, she past away about 8 years ago. She was an protective little dog, she loved us but didn't have a problem growling/nipping at people she thought were threats.

I hate the shedding hair and was bitten by a german Sheppard when I was young so I'm very aware what an untrained dog can do. I don't want to take a chance with a larger dog that we may not train properly that may hurt someone.

So, most retrievers, pointers, setters ( I love working dogs) are out because of shedding. Your Rots, Dobermans, sheppards I'm just wary of because I don't want to have an issue if they hurt someone else (it's amusing when your weiner dog is nipping at somebody's shoe, it's not when a rot is growling)

I'm thinking of going to a rescue. We don't need or necessarily want a puppy.

I'm thinking of a Boxer, we had a neighbor who had two and they swore by them. @txav8r or @Andy S any suggestions?

If not I think we'll probably end up with some sort of yorkie, schnauzer, something.
I would always vote for a vizsla. Great dogs but they do shed little eye lashes. They are however the cleanest dog that you can have. We rarely bath ours during the winter and we bath him during boating season, to was the lake water off. Obviously poodles or any of their crosses do not shed.

Attachments

Last edited:

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I love our boxers and would definitely consider getting another when these pass on. The one thing with my boxers is that they do shed but not much, their hair doesn't clump, and looks like eyelash hair. Mine do need a decent amount of activity each day but nothing too much, either staying outside for an hour or so chasing squirrels or going on a walk does the trick to calm them down. My male is almost 10 year old but still has the activity level of a 2 year old. Both dogs are very curious about what the wife and I are doing and want to do it with us. I personally like a dog that wants to be around us and do things with us.

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm very aware what an untrained dog can do.
Good luck on your search, lots of options to choose from and all have their pros/cons, but I'm glad you made note of this. A good dog that works with your family needs a lot of attention/discipline/order/training in order to be that family member that we all love having around. Most of that is all up front and you will get out what you put into it.

Since you mentioned 'working dogs' one category of dogs you could look into Spaniels (Brittney, cocker spaniel, springer spaniel, American water spaniel, etc). Shedding is minimal (usually seasonal), they are playful, good with kids, good inside the home and loyal.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Would love a doodle of any kind but haven't easily found any local rescues and not paying $2k for a puppy.

Eyebrow type shedding I can deal with our weiner dog did that. I went to the neighbors last night to help my daughter with their dogs and while typing this I look down and notice i've got long wiry hair all over my fleece.

My wife's family had a cocker spaniel when we were married. I love spaniels but that one shed A LOT even keeping it shaved. I've looked at Brittanys as I've heard they shed less but require a lot of exercise and without a fence I'm a little hesitant and would probably get a Cavalier but the prices are just crazy.

Thanks for the comments so far,

Last edited:

viper15

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We've had beagles in the past (not everyone like the howling). But our latest is a Beagle-Springer mix. Fabulous dog! Very loving and wouldn't hurt a fly. Very quite yet still has that distinctive beagle howl when she wants to be heard. Super soft and just the right size for a lap-dog. Minimal shedding. Can be rough & tumble play with the kids too. She is now 6 years old and because of her mix, she still looks like a puppy. She got all the beagle features, but they are bigger because of the Springer side. But she just never grew size-wise into the features.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Scottintexas Dogs are a lot of work and need responsible humans to teach them good and bad. I have always said "there are no bad dogs, just bad owners who don't know how or worse, don't care how to train/socialize a dog." I have had the privilege of parenting Rotweillers, Dobermans, Akitas, Border Collies, Shelties, Beagles, Mutts and now a Tervuren. We like bigger dogs and know they can be intimidating to some. Any dog can bite a human. My grandparents Daschund bit me every chance she got. It is our responsibility to socialize the dog and train for handling scary situations. We use "clicker training" on our dogs, they learn quickly when a high value reward is given. Yes all of ours have been shedders at certain times of the year. But with a lot of love and patience your family will be doing this, this summer.
4591.jpeg

Last edited:

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is this your first vizsla? Beautiful btw. They are incredible dogs. They are great with people. VELCRO dog does not do them justice! He is beside us at all times. Boone is 8 years old He loves the lake and loves to jump off the boat as long as we are at the beach.

Shuck Water

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You can have my dog..... My wife and kids will object though.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Get a lab and a robot vaccum. We got our second lab a few months ago. I will never have another type of dog. Shedding isn't horrible and we live in FL. We run our Neato vac twice a week and it is fine.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Shedding be damned, just get a golden and a good vacuum.

I'd be wary of a high energy dog (especially a rescue) with an unfenced yard. We have a similar lot (3/4acre, backs up to stream) that we didn't fence in - but our dog has zero interest in being anywhere we aren't.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We have a lab and she's wonderful! She does shed though, twice a year, six months at a time.:rolleyes: They are so smart and very gental. Loves to play and be on the boat and can't get enough swimming in the summer. We can't keep her out of the water.

UpNorth

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would definitely recommend a Boxer. We are on our third. The first 2 we got a year apart and they both lived to 10 - male and female.
Our latest one is a male and although the first 2 were great dogs this one is the best. He hardly ever has to be on a leash and stays in our unfenced yard.
They all have been extremely loyal to family and are great with all the neighborhood kids and dogs.
After having both male and female I would recommend males. All 3 have been brindles. They do shed a little but nothing like a lab or shepherd.

jcyamahariders wife

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Is this your first vizsla? Beautiful btw. They are incredible dogs. They are great with people. VELCRO dog does not do them justice! He is beside us at all times. Boone is 8 years old He loves the lake and loves to jump off the boat as long as we are at the beach.
Yes this is our first Vizsla and we love him to pieces house trained so fast I was shocked ! A lady at my work had puppies and talked me into one and I told her next litter I may want another. They are so loving I can't believe how different they are we always had labs. He is 3 1/2 months old and he gets car sick at the moment so we will have to ease him into the boat this summer but I am sure he will end up loving everything we do !

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Scottintexas , why not just get another mini dachshund or a standard sized one? Just want to check out a different breed?

I only ask because we had two minis and still have one for over 15 years now. The older one passed away at 10 years old about 5 years ago (devastating, like I lost a child). We love our wieners so wouldn't hesitate to get another if we wanted to expand the family. Definitely would stay with the short haired variety, I hate the shedding as well.
3344E60F-78E8-4CD0-8263-48D5F8D4CF02.jpeg

Last edited:

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I recommend a Boston Dynamics.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
No shedding what so ever.

Just1more

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
We’ve had 3 labs. 2 right now 10 years old and 8 months old. They shed. We did get a roomba and have a housekeeper so that helps. As far as the open back yard....get an underground pet fence. We have had ours since our 1st lab. About 13 years now. I wouldn’t even have dogs if it wasn’t for the underground fence. Funny thing about our dog...this is our 3rd lab...and the only one that likes the boat and water!! 41220C2C-213E-4603-8FD9-B4788797744A.jpeg