• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

This Forum Helped Me Decide to Buy

TexAg2010

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
First post, and I’d like to say thanks to the community for such a wealth of information on all aspects of jet boating! I’ve had my eye on a Yamaha 252SD since test riding the SE version in September at a boat show on the Ozarks. I was very impressed with the fit/finish of the 252 line, as well as the ride even on the choppy LOTO waters. Reading all the posts from those eagerly/anxiously awaiting their pre-ordered boats had me checking my closest dealers’ inventories this month as I’ve been planning a purchase for the 2021 season.

With only a few boats actually in the showrooms here in the Midwest and news of orders to dealers being canceled or cut back (thank you JB forum for timely reporting!), I found the one 252SD available among 3 dealers within 200 miles of home - saw my opportunity and put a deposit on it! I’ll be closing this week and arranging delivery on a 252SD, yacht blue with warm interior. This will be my first boat purchase, and I’m very excited to get back on the water!

In high school and college, I got to enjoy summers on Lake Lewisville/Dallas on my parents’ Sea Ray 300 Sundancer and a Waverunner. I will enjoy comparing the handling of a twin I/O vs a twin jet - some techniques to learn for sure, but I bet the DRiVE system will quickly become a joy to use when docking. Looking forward to sharing experiences with the community, and I appreciate advice, tips, tricks, must-have accessories/mods y’all recommend. Can’t wait to post pics when I take delivery!

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Congratulations, welcome to the forum.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
:Welcome:
Congrats on the purchase...once you go jet, you never go prop. <-- I coined that phrase just now!
One rule, you must post photos!
Ok two rules, you must post photos and opinions!
:D
Edit: dropped word

Last edited:

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congratulations! Owning a boat was a life goal achieved ✅ My Yamaha was my first as well, we have loved everything about it. This community adds a lot to the pride of ownership. Careful, we're also great at helping you spend your money...

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Our Yamaha is our first NEW boat...nice to have brand new and all the tech toys, and handling of newer hulls. My wife is very grateful for not having to bounce through chop and hull packing.
:D

TexAg2010

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Thanks for the welcome, y’all! @J-RAD I’ve already got a growing list of ways the forum is helping me spend 😅 but starting with basics/essentials so I’ll say totally justified. @212s Like your phrase, can’t wait to verify! Pics and opinions forthcoming when I pick up the boat and bring her home, for sure.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Congrats on the new boat! If you ever get south, down Lake Livingston way, give me a shout! Gig `em. `71

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@captras Thanks and Gig’Em! ‘10 here and I’ll give you a shout if I ever find myself out that way.
Congratulations and glad you found our material and members helpful! Just wait and see how helpful we are spending your money on boat toys, mods, etc!!!! LOL And yes....we'll need photos as proof!

TexAg2010

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
I’ll oblige with plenty of photos to share when I officially take possession! Storage lease starts in a month, so I’ll be looking for the dealer to have it prepped and ready to take home at the end of Feb. I’m heading to a boat show to sign papers and make the down payment - if it’s there I’ll provide a preview.

TexAg2010

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
It’s official! I signed the papers at the end of January and will pick her up at the end of the month. Storage is arranged (HOA is anti-boat-in-the-driveway). I have the Stoltz bow roller to bring with me when I go for pick-up. Got my grease gun to top off the trailer bearings for the 2.5 hour drive home and a Tow & Stow adjustable hitch with up to 5” drop so I can get the trailer level. What else is recommended for the initial drive home?

My list of planned purchases is much longer, but trying to prioritize month by month to keep within a budget. This month is necessities to safely trailer and stow. Next month is necessities for getting on the water if the dealer doesn’t have too good a deal to pass on while I’m picking up the boat. Future purchases will be the items that make life easier and toys.

FYI my tow vehicle is a Ford F-150 3.0L Diesel

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
It’s official! I signed the papers at the end of January and will pick her up at the end of the month. Storage is arranged (HOA is anti-boat-in-the-driveway). I have the Stoltz bow roller to bring with me when I go for pick-up. Got my grease gun to top off the trailer bearings for the 2.5 hour drive home and a Tow & Stow adjustable hitch with up to 5” drop so I can get the trailer level. What else is recommended for the initial drive home?

My list of planned purchases is much longer, but trying to prioritize month by month to keep within a budget. This month is necessities to safely trailer and stow. Next month is necessities for getting on the water if the dealer doesn’t have too good a deal to pass on while I’m picking up the boat. Future purchases will be the items that make life easier and toys.

Check trailer tire air pressure is at max cold pressure.

Stop after a short ways and make sure your transom straps are snug as well as tge bow winch.

Don‘t over grease the bearing buddies, leave some room for expansion. Check to see if they went in at your initial stop they could need more grease...grease should be a water proof type. Check the lug nuts when you stop as well, they should be fine but better to check them.

I towed mine 650 miles home without any dramas.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length

Let us know how the 3.0 Diesel tows .

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

TexAg2010

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Howdy! @SCP1 I’ve done a couple day-long drives moving from Memphis to stay with family in TX for a career intermission vacation, then up to KC for a new job. Granted that was with U-Haul trailers holding my motorcycle and boxes of household goods, the cab was also packed to the gills and there were no concerns to speak of.

The boat will be the first real towing capability test, and I’ll also finally get to see what this trailer backup assist feature does. Need to install a sticker on the trailer tongue so the camera can track and provide driver input or something like that. It may be overkill for those experienced backing trailers but I’m willing to test it out.

Two more days and I’ll head to the Ozarks to pick her up! Stand by for pics and confirmation of the 3.0 diesel towing capability.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When I was teaching the Admiral how to back up the boat on the trailer we went to a parking lot and got a bunch of Orange cones. She never backed a boat up before or any trailer. Within 1-2 hours she was doing fine and can now launch the boat at the ramp.

Work on learning how to back up without the assist or other things. Once you get the hang of it you will always be ready for anything.

TexAg2010

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Definitely, I’ve got plans for some parking lot time while I wait for the local lake to thaw. I’ve got experience backing (smaller) boats and trailers, and the concepts are the same. Good advice to practice with the new trailer though. Before setting up the assistive technology.

I think of the backup assist on the truck the same as I do the 360* cameras. I can back into parking spots and parallel park using the mirrors and direct line of sight only, but the camera technology allows me to do it with more precision and ease, adding an extra layer of confidence to the maneuvers. With all the various smaller trailers I’ve pulled without the backup assist, I’m really curious about any difference in technique it makes (you steer with a little knob vs the steering wheel, turning the direction you want the trailer to go, among other features).

Mully262

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length
Congrats and welcome to the SD family!! I got the little brother of your boat in December. Waiting for spring. Can't wait to see how those paddles operate, but I've heard a lot of positive remarks that make the expense more palatable.

Best advice I've ever got on backing up: put your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel. Then you turn the wheel in the direction you want the boat to go. Makes the learning curve so much easier.