• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

This may be a stupid Garmin 742xs Navionics question

watdog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am going to buy a chartplotter and narrowed it down to Raymarine Axiom 7" or a Garmin 742xs both with Navionics. What makes it confusing for me is if you buy them with "Navionics charts" does that also include dock to dock routing? Raymarine is clear that it does but Garmin who owns Navionics is not so clear. To me, this is a huge selling point and it is very downplayed on Garmin units. Maybe when Navionics is installed it always includes this feature, but to me, it is not clear. Thanks for any help.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So i had the same question and in Garmin they call it Auto Guidance, I have the 93sv.

Excerpt.
"You can use Auto Guidance to plot the best path to your destination. Auto Guidance uses your chartplotter to scan chart data, such as water depth and known obstacles, to calculate a suggested path. You can adjust the path during navigation. "

Like you I wondered why it wasn't more prominent since they did by Navionics.

Go Online to Garmin. Go to support and check out the Manual. That is what I did. Search term "Auto Guidance". Of course I haven't used it yet and I have no common frame of reference to compare it to.

watdog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks, the terminology of "dock to dock" and "auto guidance" threw me off. For the life of me, I can't understand why this is not a top selling point. I live in an area on the Chesapeake Bay that has serious shallows to avoid and I have been using a tablet but want something permanent. Thanks again for the reply, and I am probably going Garmin.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Cool. I am going with the 9" one, not much more and it will be better for split screen, plus easier to read.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

watdog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I believe so, i wear reading glasses as well so that is why i went for the nine inch screen

watdog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have searched and can't find the actual dimensions of this or any other unit. They all say 7" screen or 9" but no overall dimensions. I want it as big as I can fit so I can see it. If you buy yours first please post pics.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

watdog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So I went with the Garmin 74CV because I don't care about side-scan sonar and I could see the 7" without reading glasses. . Got it installed today and I am still questioning "auto routing". It did not offer me the option when I tried it, but I was on land so maybe it will be an option on the water. Then in the manual, it states "Auto guidance is available with premium charts, in some areas". I hope I don't regret buying a Garmin.

Attachments

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can't confirm yet since Mine is not installed.

watdog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

watdog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you have the 93SV you are in the same "boat" as me, no Auto Guidance and will have to buy more maps $$$$

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you have the LakeVu G2 or G3?

watdog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It has bluechart g3 which has auto-routing built in but in the 74CV it is a locked feature until you buy another map. Not happy with Garmin right now.

watdog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do you have the LakeVu G2 or G3?
So even though I am irritated with Garmin I returned the 74SV and bought the Garmin 742xs. It does have auto-routing out of the box, but it is not as good as Navionics routing and not as nice of a unit as the 74SV.

I did learn that if the second digit of the Garmin model number is a 3 it's for lakes and if it's a 4 it's for the coast and adds about $100.

Ericd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
First number is screen size - 7” / 9”
Next 3 - inland or 4 coastal
sv - side view transducer