• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Those wanting the wakebooster package for 19ft boats

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here’s what the wake looks like on my 19ft SX190 without riders. I’ll report back on how things go in this thread when I get my wetsuit lol. I was impressed with how clean the wake looks, not big obviously but pretty cool if we can muster the technique. I have a Slingshot Coaster 5’3 board that we will be using.

Attachments

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Looks like some massive ballast bags on transom also. Might want to list your add ons so people don’t assume that wave is only from a wake booster. And that wave looks awesome though to surf for sure! Have a fun summer

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes this is why I called the title “wake package”, it comes with 2 - fat sac bags that hold 200lbs of water each for 400 lbs total, the tsunami pump to fill them and the wakebooster.

Attachments

jgourlie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
What does the wave look like with both bags on the same side?

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What does the wave look like with both bags on the same side?
I don’t know as I’m going to leave them as is which is what the Yamaha engineers figured was best. I don’t want to ride listing to one side as my wife will be driving. I also like that the dog bones I drilled are securing the bags and not ropes etc..

also I have 1 or 2 accounts of people that own these bags that said the Yamaha proposed way is best.

Attachments

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
Considering dropping a bag in the ski locker. It will help sink the boat with no listing or raising the bow I think. Don't know if it will counter balance the transom bags or if it make a better wave.

Yamahaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
forgive me for my ignorance here, but does all this added weight put stress on the engines? seems like it would.

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
forgive me for my ignorance here, but does all this added weight put stress on the engines? seems like it would.
i'm certain it does but the weight capacity on my boat is 8 people, so adding 400lbs of ballast to the back plus 3 people on the boat is still within capacity in my books, it's just putting a lot of the capacity at the stern. I won't be putting more than 3-4 on board with the ballast inflated.

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think the Yamaha engineers sold that package as a bare minimum. You may even be able to get ropeless, but you'll be stuck in one small sweet spot of push. Prepare for the money suck... :)

Here's my progress with surfing on a Yamaha:
yeah i understand, worse case i'll be towed with a rope... i really don't have a pipe dream that this will be like a surf boat. I'll try to become very proficient at technique ... i'm just tired of falling off the wakeboard at 18-21 mph haha some of those hurt

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
If I add the ski locker sack 750lbs + 400lbs transom + 3 people, one will be surfing I feel good about. even if it was 4 people plus think I would be ok. Of course that doesn't include the weight of gear, gas cooler et cetera.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
IMHO no - running the engine at 7000rpm while cruising at 35mph or while pushing a ton of ballast through the water at 11mph is the same amount of work. Remember, this isn't like loading a truck down and having external pressure between driveline and the road.

Besides, these Japanese built motors WANT to rev high and throttle up and down. They were built for that sort of use, whether in a motorcycle, jet ski, or jet boat, they're meant to work under those conditions and at those RPMs.

gallobg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If I add the ski locker sack 750lbs + 400lbs transom + 3 people, one will be surfing I feel good about. even if it was 4 people plus think I would be ok. Of course that doesn't include the weight of gear, gas cooler et cetera.
Last season on my 2019 AR195, the best setup I found to go ropeless was:

650 Gantlin bag on transom, centered
200 cube surf side on rear seat
200 cube on bow floor
About 9.5 mph on Ridesteady GPS
Coaster 5’3” board
One adult driver and two kids in boat

YMMV, but I was able to go ropeless all day long using that setup.

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Last season on my 2019 AR195, the best setup I found to go ropeless was:

650 Gantlin bag on transom, centered
200 cube surf side on rear seat
200 cube on bow floor
About 9.5 mph on Ridesteady GPS
Coaster 5’3” board
One adult driver and two kids in boat

YMMV, but I was able to go ropeless all day long using that setup.
And you could still get the surfer out of the water with that setup? My fear is I have 70hp less, not sure how much less torque and the 155mm pump vs 160mm pump, so not sure i can add 650 and still pull someone up?

gallobg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yep, the 195 doesn't have any problems getting me out of the water. I'm about 185lbs. Not sure how the 190 engine would do - you'll have to ask around about that.

That setup was the result of lots of trial and error over the summer. It works for me, my boat, and my lake. You'll need to do the trial and error for your specific situation and see what sticks. That's the thing about trying to surf behind these boats - it can be done well but its not a turn-key solution. Keep trying different things and be patient.

One more note - this summer I plan to get the kids surfing. I'll start with only the 200lb cubes and hopefully that will be enough for their small weight. Will save me time from placing and filling the big bag.

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
good stuff @gallobg , i'll try to see how our 190 performs with 400 and a few adults on board and go from there. maybe instead of adding 650 directly, I can get one, two or three more 155lb cubes from fatsac. I was thinking adding 2 more 155lb cubes on lower swim deck each side and 1 155lb cube in the bow.. that would put me at about 465 + 400 from the yamaha kit... the 2 extra on the lower swim deck could be tied to the one on the top swim deck too

4 cubes on the back would equate to approximately the 650bag, the 155lbs in the bow to lower it a tad.

Last edited:

gallobg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Here's my only comment - all bags are a PITA to secure on the swim deck and they get heavy fast (especially when they fall off the boat, ask me how I know...)

But seriously, if you are going to get extra bags, have a solid plan ahead of time for how you are going to secure them down. There's just not a lot of tie-down points on the 19 series swim decks, and the fore-aft width of the platforms is limited. That's why the Gantlin bag is popular, it has a custom shape to fit onto both of the upper and lower swim decks. I have seen other people use different bags on the 19' boats - do some searching here and look at all of the pictures that you can. Maybe you can try one of the "long and skinny" style of bags instead of more cubes? Might fit the geometry of the lower swim deck better.

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@gallobg i get it but remember i have an "SX" no tower, so i need the middle clear for my tow rope...which is a whole other ball of wax lol.

Maybe the 2 extra go on each corner back seat in the boat , then they don't need secured, and act as 2 people onboard. Just thinking out loud.

Like you said, keep trying til it works for your circumstances, appreciate all the input

Last edited:

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
@gallobg i get it but remember i have an "SX" no tower, so i need the middle clear for my tow rope...which is a whole other ball of wax lol
Even if the bag is tied center, you could still put your surf rope on the cleat behind it. Just attach it before you fill the bag. You won't hurt the bag by having the rope against it - I talked to the manufacturer when I bought a floor bag and he was like "its strong enough to have dogs walk on, don't worry about it."

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Even if the bag is tied center, you could still put your surf rope on the cleat behind it. Just attach it before you fill the bag. You won't hurt the bag by having the rope against it - I talked to the manufacturer when I bought a floor bag and he was like "its strong enough to have dogs walk on, don't worry about it."
This is great to know thanks for input!!