• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Those with cabin LED lights....a few questions

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So my wife saw some pictures of a boat with interior LED's and said "that looks cool, you should do it". Well, that's all I need. May as well do it now while I'm working on the stereo right? Here is what I think I know....you can buy in particular colors or get RGB which will make pretty much any color correct? I think I want somewhere around 8 strips of around 9"-12". Here are a few questions:

• If bought in long strips, once I cut the size I want, how do I connect the wires to pieces of the remaining strip? In other words, how do I make am eight foot strip into (8) 12" strips?
  • What do I need to make them change colors and flash to the music (RGB)?
  • What brands or online retailers have you used for your purchase? Links would be great.
Any other useful info that you can provide would be appreciated. If someone has a good place where you can just purchase precut sizes, I may go that route.

Thanks in advance

Jason

Go to superbrightlightled.com. They have good info and videos. You'll need connectors for the splices, some 18/4 wire, and they also have a controller that runs the RGB's with a wireless remote.

I didn't buy my RGB at superbrightleds but I did buy my 18/4 wire there and my quick connects. I love the quick connects! they work for the 3528 RGB but are spaced right for the 5050 RGB's. The difference between the 2 types are 3528 can be cut every 6 led bulb which will contain 2 reds, 2 greens, and 2 blue bulbs. They have the cut lines marked on the strip. These can make the different colors but if you are able to see the bulb. Lets just say to make orange you will see the green bulb and the red bulb on which isn't impressive. These are the first type I had on the boat. Then I switched out to the 5050 RGB's. These leds have a small cluster of bulbs in one spot. red, green , blue, and white. These can be cut every 3 bulbs I do believe. Very bright color and you get a true color, when I turn on a mixing color you actually see that color looking directly at the bulb. I bought both of my sets off of ebay for 16 bucks and they have the controller with them already. Never had a problem, just make sure to get IP67 or IP68 waterproof ratings.

Here is the connectors:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/bar-strip-accessories/led-product/1040/2499/

20140208_142038.jpg

20140208_141753.jpg

Last edited:
The 16 foot actually goes quicker then you think, I almost used all 16 foot between all of my cup holders, 2 transom cutouts and a 2ft strip under my swim deck.

Thanks for all the info guys. I bought a kit last night off of eBay. Actually bought more than I needed, but wanted a seller in the US with good feedback. I went with waterproof RGB, 5050, 300 leds per 5 meters. Has the controller as well. Now I'm just running through my head how to make the wire runs and connections. I may look into the quick connects like @jcyamaharider mentioned. Thanks for the pics and the links!

BTW @jcyamaharider ......did you say you had a strip under your swim deck? Like at the waterline?

It is actually above the water line. When I have full ballast it is below... LOL
20140208_141922.jpg

Last edited:
..... and you've has no problems with it? Mine would be pretty much in the water all the time since my swim deck is lower.

Just be aware of how much your putting in too if you buy a couple of spools (spool is 5 meters, which is 16 feet and change). Because the controllers will only run one spool or you will overload it. One spool is 72 watts of light!:woot: You will be glad you have a dimmer on the controller remote!:watching:

If you cut the strips and connect, you need to waterproof them. I found soldering my wire lead to the strip, coating with silicone, and then heat shrinking over it will completely waterproof it after it is cut.

@jcyamaharider I like your cupholders. I can't tell for sure but I did mine internally in the bottom of the cupholders and they had the perfect illumination to suit me. Guys just don't realize how bright 5050's are until they are installed! I also like that your primary lighting is the cupholders. It supplies ample light and keeps it indirect. I had it in the speakers too, and that was just too much IMO. Nice job:winkingthumbsup"

Thanks Mel. I was aware that running that would overload the controller. Just by guessing, I think be using somewhere around 10-12 total feet.

@txav8r yep Mel I put them in the bottom of the cup holder around the perimeter. It supplies me with the perfect amount of light.

..... and you've has no problems with it? Mine would be pretty much in the water all the time since my swim deck is lower.
I havent had it in the water yet with that light but I will post up after a season of use. I did take the steps to waterproof my connection.

So since my stereo is finally finished. I may start easing into the LED install. So will those quick connects work with the waterproof light strips? I'm guessing I just cut back the silicone so the connector will slide on? @txav8r I remember some time ago, seeing some pics of how you did your cupholders. Any chance you still have a few pointers or pics? Same goes for you @jcyamaharider. Any detail you spare would be great. I'm having a hard time finding locations where the strips are hidden from view. Thanks in advance!

@redthumper9 that is exactly what I did. I cut back the silicone to get the connector on and closed it tight. I can snap a few close up pics of my cup holders if you like. I have stainless cup holders so I drilled a hole in the side and put a rubber grommet in there to protect the wires from shorting out.

Here is transom just an fyi pic.

20140208_142011.jpg

@redthumper9 that is exactly what I did. I cut back the silicone to get the connector on and closed it tight. I can snap a few close up pics of my cup holders if you like. I have stainless cup holders so I drilled a hole in the side and put a rubber grommet in there to protect the wires from shorting out.

Thanks....I thought I remembered seeing that done somewhere. If you can take a pic of the cupholders, that would be great. I know
to put them in the bottom of the cupholder...Any problem with them sticking tight?

No issues with them sticking and staying stuck. Certainly either need a grommet or several layers of heat shrink to protect the wire exiting the cupholders.

Some will use the connectors and that is ok, but they are not going to be a permanent connection in a marine environment due to vibration and corrosion. But they are certainly after and easier than soldering all your connections, you just may be faced with redoing some occasionally. The connectors are also not designed for wire, just the strip, so you will have to solder the wire anyway. Good luck and I will upload some good pics later.

About to order the last few items for my install......what kind of rocker switches are you guys using? I saw a few people use small round ones with a blue led indicator, but I can't seem to find them anywhere.

Back