• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thoughts on Source of Damage

jonw9

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
I picked my boat up last week after being stored for the winter at the marina. As I was rubbing on some Boat Bling this weekend I noticed a discolored area on the rail, with 2 cracks around it.

As I am not terribly familiar with the winter wrapping process, does anybody have a thought as to the source of this problem. I will certainly be taking it up with the marina, but wanted to stop in here as well.

The discoloration did not show up too well, but it looks like a slightly darker orange across the flat of the rail, like something was there. Also forgive my thumb in the shots.

IMG_2814[1].JPG IMG_2815[1].JPG IMG_2816[1].JPG

tomfoolery

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GT
Boat Length
I have had many boats. To me it looks as though someone tried to snap on cover and missed the snap itself causing damage to gelcoat.
I might add the gel is very soft on these boats....

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Does the area flex at all when you press on the snap?

jonw9

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
I could maybe see that on the smaller "U" shaped crack, be the upper one goes around the edge and I don't see how a snap could possibly do that. Especially since it was the same snap, unless the used a hammer install the cover.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hairline cracks in gelcoat are not unusual and are easily repaired. My concern is with why they are occurring. If something in the area is soft then that needs to be repaired. I would guess that the greatest force in the area is from installing the snap.

Scarabtech

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It almost looks like a gelcoat repair. It could also be that the 2014 models had numerous issues with gelcoat cracks due to a supplier issue. We sent several boats vacation to the factory for repair and the replaced a couple of decks and several hull and decks.