• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Throttle Cable Replacment AR-230

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I need to replace both throttle cables, they are stiff, already bought the replacements from SBT. My local guy say you have to pull big floor panel held by large square bits. I thought the cables ran down the wall. So I need help, I looked but couldn't find anything on actually replacing the cables, adjusting and lube but not replacing. So I have three questions:

1. Anyone seen a write-up or video of the process of running the cables from helm to engine bay?

2. Do you have to pull the floor panel to replace the throttle cables or will they just pull through?

3. If I have to pull the panel, do you know the size of that square bit?

Thanks in advance.

Troy Timmons
Navarre FL

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Square bits are #4 Robertson bits. Most stores do not have them, May have to order some.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I replaced the steering cables without lifting the hatch by using the existing cables as guides, and feeding them though, taping the new cable to the old one, and pulling through. May or may not work for you, but worth a try before lifting the floor panel for sure.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I need to replace both throttle cables, they are stiff, already bought the replacements from SBT. My local guy say you have to pull big floor panel held by large square bits. I thought the cables ran down the wall. So I need help, I looked but couldn't find anything on actually replacing the cables, adjusting and lube but not replacing. So I have three questions:

1. Anyone seen a write-up or video of the process of running the cables from helm to engine bay?

2. Do you have to pull the floor panel to replace the throttle cables or will they just pull through?

3. If I have to pull the panel, do you know the size of that square bit?

Thanks in advance.

Troy Timmons
Navarre FL
And you are certain its the throttle cables and not the gate controls? (IE its stiff AFTER you've moved the gates into reverse or forward?)

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
And you are certain its the throttle cables and not the gate controls? (IE its stiff AFTER you've moved the gates into reverse or forward?)
Thank you, after a closer inspection, it is the gate controls. I also noticed that my steering cables are locked up tight. I have owned the boat since new, never replaced the cables. The boat sat for two years unused with an engine problem. I have it resolved (new motor) so its time to get it sorted out and back on the water. Appreciate all the help.