• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Throttle Dead Space

bigsapper

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
On my boat, if I slowly move my throttle forward from the first detent/no-wake, I have to move the throttle forward quite a bit before I get a response from the engine.
Also, when I'm at full throttle and slowly move the throttle back, I have to move it a quite a ways before I get a deceleration response from the engine.

Is this normal?

I already have a few warranty items to address. Wondering if I should add this to the list.

Jmorris195

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On my boat, if I slowly move my throttle forward from the first detent/no-wake, I have to move the throttle forward quite a bit before I get a response from the engine.
Also, when I'm at full throttle and slowly move the throttle back, I have to move it a quite a ways before I get a deceleration response from the engine.

Is this normal?

I already have a few warranty items to address. Wondering if I should add this to the list.
There was play in the throttle cable on my boat at the throttle position sensor in the engine bay. With the throttle in neutral I just tightened up the cable.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Is this normal?

You can adjust your throttles, but if you have other warranty things, just have the dealership do it when you take the boat in.

ChrisM

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Could it be the time it takes for the bucket to be clear before forward thrust occurs? My Chap does this, the revers buckets need to be clear first.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Could it be the time it takes for the bucket to be clear before forward thrust occurs? My Chap does this, the revers buckets need to be clear first.
@bigsapper Yes ChrisM is right, that's the space from TDE to full forward idle - the cables are lifting the buckets up all the way before more thrust is added. Pull back from WOT should be immediate response though, perhaps just cable tension adjustment.

Note that on new boats, the cables can stretch a bit the first year as they seat in, and can stretch a little more over the lifetime of the boat. I adjusted mine this year to tighten them up a few turns of the adjuster nut as I was hitting 7400 instead of 7500 WOT due to a bit of slack in the cables. That bit of difference affected my top speed by a couple MPH too.

bigsapper

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the responses. Interesting note about max rpm. What is max rpm for the 1.8L? Mine tops out at 7,340.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Thanks for the responses. Interesting note about max rpm. What is max rpm for the 1.8L? Mine tops out at 7,340.
The top end is about 7500 or so on the naturally aspirated models, depending on humidity and temp which affect air density which affects how much air the engines can breathe in. Higher altitude affects the engines too as the air is less dense.