• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Throttle Sync - Who uses it? It is easier to dock boat without it?

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have it, and use it mostly when launching out of no-wake speed. I disconnect it when I run close to WOT as my engines RPMs will not be the same when engaged, I will be adjusting throttle stops on the water when we get some better weather. As far as docking, I disconnect it as I may have 1 throttle forward and 1 throttle reverse to pivot boat in windy conditions.

Edited later: My wife uses it when she drives, a small handed lefty, but I do not like seeing/hearing un-synched engines, so while at cruising speed I will disconnect and synch for her. Like I said above I need to adjust the mechanical throttles to take full advantage of it.

Last edited:

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have it. Use it at times when on extended cruise... takes less focus on throttles and reduces pilot fatigue.

Biggest advantage is when someone that is not very familiar with jetboats or multiengine power boats has to take the helm for whatever reason. Simplifies operation for noobs quite a bit.

Other big advantage (and this is huge when applicable), is it greatly simplifies operation of throttle for lefties who may have difficulty manipulating two independent throttles with their non-dominant right hand. My wife is a lefty, so THROTTLESYNC was a huge benefit to us. Wife's favorite mod until we installed SeaDek.

I cannot speak to how it works on newer models, but it works very well, with very high build quality (for plastic components). Installation on my 2008 was exceptionally easy and quick.

Does take a while to get used to it. Is quick flick of hand to turn it on or off.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As mentioned this is more of a cruising feature then a docking feature. Biggest advantage I have seen is in really rough or offshore conditions to be able to easily reduce or raise both throttles as needed.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have been using it for a few years and can't imagine going back. Not ground breaking, just makes control a lot smoother. Rarely use individual levers anymore, set up cables so engines are near matched at all speeds.

USN SCPO RET

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I started using it last season. I like it.

Different circumstances warrant sync or not sync. Typical launch its locked...sometimes I'll release it to fine tune RPM on an extended run.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Tell you guys - the Ridesteady/Hydrophase comes the closest to fly-by-wire "single lever control" of E-series 2015+ Connext boats. It is fantastic and works surprisingly well (as an electronic cruize control and in synchronizing the throttles across the entire RPM range). The system has no servos or anything mechanical, and it will work in any Yamaha with an APS (accelerator position sensor) - any 210 and any 2010+ 240.
It would be my first mod in any non E-series boat.

--

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can't wait to install the Ride steady. I'm hoping to have some time this summer to do that. I think that will be my first major mod.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I love my Throttle Sync. I got lucky and my engines are close enough together in RPM that a gentle "twist" while the throttles are locked together is all it takes to keep them in sync. Also, it nearly eliminates the throttle "fall back" that my model boat experiences.

I typically launch / approach the dock with the levers unlocked so I can fine tune power with one engine. The moment I'm away from the dock, I lock them and leave them locked.

The best feature as far as I'm concerned is it gives me something larger to grab on to with my XL-sized meat-hooks. I'm not that big of a guy, but I've got large hands and I find the larger grip of the Throttle Sync much more comfortable in hand..

To me it was an inexpensive thing to try that it turned out I really liked. (Oh, the humanity of that sentence structure!) If money was no object I'd definitely have Perfect Pass. Alas, I'm staring down the quadruple barrel of 4 children that seem to be approaching college age all too quickly...

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Also, it nearly eliminates the throttle "fall back" that my model boat experiences.
Completely forgot about that! (It has been a loooong off-season)

This is a huge feature for me.

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Forgot about the throttle fall back too, worth it just for that improvement alone.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have one and think it's great when I remember to use it which is not often. Makes it easy for me to turn the helm over to my wife or a guest driver. The price can't be beat when compared to a perfect pass or a newer model boat. If I was prioritizing what mods to buy this would not be at the top of my list but it would make the top buy it would make the top 5.

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
One of my mental checklist items before docking is to make sure sync is off. Being able to run the engines independently makes docking SO much easier.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Don't want to sound like a Ridesteady salesman, lol, but I really love that thing - PP (perfect Pass) does not synchronize the throttles in our twins, but ridesteady does. You can have the two throttle levers far apart (within limits) and the system electronically synchronizes the RPM for both engines - it feels like magic.

I never tried throttle synch bracket gizmo as my throttles can be significantly apart to equalize the RPM, which I am very sensitive to. I love the engines humming in synch, sounding like a twin prop plane.

--

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@swatski You've sold me, months ago on your thread. But as you know my 07 AR230 has mechanical throttles, and no electrical interface. Oh by the way, what kind of discount are you offering on a group buy?:winkingthumbsup"

............................................................................................................................... P.S. It a joke, just kidding.................................................................................................................................................

Last edited:

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Don't want to sound like a Ridesteady salesman, lol, but I really love that thing - PP (perfect Pass) does not synchronize the throttles in our twins, but ridesteady does. You can have the two throttle levers far apart (within limits) and the system electronically synchronizes the RPM for both engines - it feels like magic.

I never tried throttle synch bracket gizmo as my throttles can be significantly apart to equalize the RPM, which I am very sensitive to. I love the engines humming in synch, sounding like a twin prop plane.

--
I've been sold. Just like thrust vector vs cobras, I have put PP and Ridesteady side by side comparisons on specs and I believe Ridesteady is the way to go too.

newbote

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have it, and use it mostly when launching out of no-wake speed. I disconnect it when I run close to WOT as my engines RPMs will not be the same when engaged, I will be adjusting throttle stops on the water when we get some better weather. As far as docking, I disconnect it as I may have 1 throttle forward and 1 throttle reverse to pivot boat in windy conditions.
Maybe this is due to the keel design but in my '16 Limited the boat does not pivot when I have one in forward and one in reverse. I may try again this weekend but I have tried and the boat barely moves. Has anybody else in the newer boats been able to get their boat to pivot by having one engine in reverse and the other in forward?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Maybe this is due to the keel design but in my '16 Limited the boat does not pivot when I have one in forward and one in reverse. I may try again this weekend but I have tried and the boat barely moves. Has anybody else in the newer boats been able to get their boat to pivot by having one engine in reverse and the other in forward?
Yep, it does not seem to work very well in the "keeled" new 240s.

--

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@newbote Not having the articulating keel (rudder) back there, IMO, is an advantage in this aspect. Those new keels do not like to slip sideways thru the water as our older hulls do. It did take practice and was not always perfect, but I became confident in my ability to control my Yamaha in tight spots and in many weather/water conditions. I find it useful when backing into a double wide slip, when your dock neighbors boat is there.0916161621.jpg

Last edited: