• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Through the weeds - backwards or forwards

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
So was chatting with a friend about jet boats and weeds. We came up with a theory that in our knowledge base has no actual backing and proof but in the end seemed plausible. The question is, if you find yourself docked on a lake that has a weed patch between you and the open water, would slowly backing out or slowing going forward out to the open water increase your chances of getting out there weed free. Our theory supports going slow backwards under the premise that the reverse jet wash (even as undirectional as it is) would have some affect of pushing the tops of the weeds down or out of the way as you go over them, at least more so then going forward. I know maybe a silly unscientific conclusion but anyone else have thoughts on that? Be cool to see underwater footage of these two scenarios to see if there is any difference in the water movement of weeds going slowly forward or backwards. My pessimistic side says there is so much turbulence in both cases that there would be relatively little difference and that the suction far out weighs the reverse jet wash. Still curious though, and also its been a long winter.

Go fast then pull the cutoff while you drift over them.

LOL! I suppose that would work but we had a specific lake in mind where you are at the dock, weeds start immediately at the end of the dock and span a 50' section to the open water. That would be quite a jack start to make that happen. :D

Carry an oar on the boat, have someone in the bow parting the weeds or get a trolling motor.

Two summers ago, we had this scenario. Milfoil patch between the marina and where we wanted to go. I can tell you, from experience, going in no wake mode thru the weed patch will inhale enough weeds to cause cavitation and make you stop and use the cleanout ports. I learned quickly, that as soon as you are out of no-wake zone to hole shot yourself up onto plane as quickly as possible and go as fast as you can to get by them. Same coming back in, stay on plane until until the last moment before the no-wake zone. The marina had a milfoil harvester they used inside the no-wake zone. Basically a piece of chainlink fence they suspended off the bow of a pontoon boat with a boom and winch that would snag and snap off the weeds a few feet under the surface. Last summer we moved to another marina and did not have as much of an issue. Yes there were weeds around my slip by the end of the season, but nothing that caused me any problems. My conclusion...GO FAST! Also, in channels in and out of marinas, the prop driven boats keep them "pruned" below the surface leaving it pretty clear for us jetboaters. Never tried going backwards, patch was too big and I didnot want to present the stern to prevailing winds/waves.

Last edited:
I agree with the full throttle comments ... Had to deal with this often in Wisconsin lakes. The faster the better... Turn the pumps into blenders vs strainers. Won't work all the time... But not sure reversing through will work.... But test it and let us know!!! Perhaps you'll have invented a new move???

Fast wouldn’t work in a no wake zone. Curious as well if reverse is better

LOL! I suppose that would work but we had a specific lake in mind where you are at the dock, weeds start immediately at the end of the dock and span a 50' section to the open water. That would be quite a jack start to make that happen. :D
Here... hold my beer!

Fast wouldn’t work in a no wake zone. Curious as well if reverse is better
Didn't see any mention of no wake zone from the original post. Clearly can't go fast in a no wake zone and wouldn't suggest that. Reversing for long distances would likely be hard to track a line...

I'd also think backing through the weeds would at some point be impossible as there's a lot of engine parts that can catch weeds as you're backing through them and thus create a situation where you may be dragging a lot fo debris with you.

Back