• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thru Hull AC Plug

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I am wanting to install a thru hull AC plug on my 240 to make access from the shore power easier. Preferably on the port side behind the wake tower ? This would be the closest point to my 2 batteries in the port side passenger storage area. My question is two part : I have looked at both the NOKO and the ProMariner plugs. The ProMariner is a little smaller (1 7/8") hole than the NOKO (2"). Has anyone had positive or negative results with either and #2 : Is the carpeted side wall in the battery compartment the outer hull of the boat OR is there dead air between an inner hull and the outer hull ? How thick is the fibreglass at that point ?I am open to other locations but I do back my boat into the slip and then raise the lift. My shore power is located on the port side rear and would like to use as short an extension cord as possible .

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Just my .02 I would not put it through the hull, I would make a custom extension cable to go from the charger to the outlet.

Stevenpigsooie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski did this.
I put my noco plug in the port rear wet compartment and that has worked well for me.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I did too. Mounted it near the gas cap. I have a pic or two in the Google Doc in my signature.

Hull / Fiberglass was 1/4” thick at most right there. When screwing the adapter into the hull, make sure to use the exact bit to predrill the holes. Too small and the gel coat cracks easy.

I used the round doughnut that fell out of the hole saw as my test piece for testing the screw holes.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I used the Noco mounted about a foot from the gas cap. Works great.

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@subysti , was that a foot forward of the gas cap , past the vent OR aft of the gas cap ? I'm not with my boat as its about 100 miles away in the slip so please excuse the dumb a** ? but do you access that hole from the battery compartment or the engine hatch ?

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
About a foot in front of the gas cap, goes right in to the battery compartment. Just went and peeled back the cover and took a quick pic, you can see the gas vent there.

Attachments

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
About a foot in front of the gas cap, goes right in to the battery compartment. Just went and peeled back the cover and took a quick pic, you can see the gas vent there.
Here’s mine. Same basic spot.

D0DE4CD6-44B4-46F2-8A70-D5E5267628E5.jpeg

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here is mine:
upload_2018-7-18_17-46-36.png
upload_2018-7-18_17-46-57.png

--

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks guys . 3 replies in basically the same spot !! Seems like the plan for me. Looks great. One last concern would be the danger of hitting a vent tube or fuel line with the hole saw ?? Did anyone use clips or plastic anchors for the perimeter mounting holes , or just go straight into the fibreglass ? Clear silicone would probably be good on the inside where the screws come thru ?

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
That’s why I went to the left. There’s nothing up there. Stick your head in the compartment (when you get a chance), you can see all the way to it. The NOCO has a 1’ long pigtail that you’ll plug the charger into. I ran the power cord across the bottom of the compartment, under my ballast bag, then up the outer wall to the pigtail. Left plenty of slack in case the bag moves it any as it fills/empties. In hindsight, I think I would tape or zip tie the 2 cords together to further assist with keeping them together. But, it hasn’t moved yet without it either. Mine isn’t hidden at all, aside from being under the bag.

One thing, when screwing the NOCO to the hull, it’s softer plastic than it looks. It’s easy to tighten the screws too much and warp the plastic. I squirted some clear silicon around the big hole and in each of the screw holes before installing. It should be good and sealed.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Same here. I just replaced my NOCO unit. Not that it failed, we pulled out of the lift and forgot it was plugged in. It ripped the ground post off when the plug came free.

That's what we get for taking 2am cruises!!

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@seanmclean , Great looking install and thanks for reminding me to use painters tape on the gelcoat before using the hole saw !! Do you think the small screws that come with the NOCO are substantial enough to hold up long term in the fiberglass OR would you recommend stainless steel machine screws with washers and nuts on the inside of the boat ?

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@seanmclean , Great looking install and thanks for reminding me to use painters tape on the gelcoat before using the hole saw !! Do you think the small screws that come with the NOCO are substantial enough to hold up long term in the fiberglass OR would you recommend stainless steel machine screws with washers and nuts on the inside of the boat ?
I used the screws that came with, and even with some accidental tugging they have held up just fine. They bite pretty well into the fiberglass. Nuts/bolts wouldnt be a bad idea either, just a little tricky to reach up and tighten them.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
One other perk to that right angle adapter - if you drive away while plugged in, the cord simply unplugs as it faces toward the rear of the boat. Not speaking from experience or anything.

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
hypothetically speaking only !! I understand.