• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thrust Vector and Lateral thruster handling questions

Bruggar709

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So I recently installed the Thrust Vectors and the Lateral Thrustors on my 2014 SX190. First time out tonight and noticed the steering seems to be a lot harder. When the boat is out of water the steering turns in both directions with no effort. Under power it requires significantly more effort. Is this normal?

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Totally normal

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
People have reported this before. I honestly did not notice it in my 242.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Here is a quick analogy: is it harder to swing your arm under water while make a fist, or with your fingers out flat like you were going to shake someone's hand.

This should tell you they are working.

Bruggar709

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Anyone with a SX190 have any issues with turning after installing the Thrust Vectors? Wondering if they are getting up above the jet at speed

Steven Douglass

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi @Bruggar709. I just installed the Thrust Vectors (TVs) on my 2007 SX210 then found the steering unusually stiff at almost all speeds. I don't think this is a product design issue, I think it's because of an installation error I made that I have yet to correct; I overtightened the steering cable clevis bolts, crushing the clevis and reducing the gap to almost nil. I then only loosened the clevis bolt, I did not re-gap the clevis. In the TV installation instructions step 6 clearly advises the installer to "not crush the clevis by overtightening".

Tomorrow (Friday) or Saturday I will be hauling the boat out, re-gaping both steering cable clevises and testing. I will come back and let you know the outcome.

Here's is my post-TV-installation steering experience, for comparison to your own...

When floating (not under power) the steering requires a bit more muscle. I expect this considering the water that the fins need to be move when rotating the steering wheel. The physics add up in this case and my brain says "ok".

However...
At no-wake speed (navigating-the-marina speed) it's stiffer than I would expect and that makes me nervous.
At low speed, the steering stiffness is much more than I'd expect.
When trying to get on plane, there is a point where the steering is so stiff that I'm fearful the steering cable will break.
At med-high speeds the steering stiffness is still more than I'd expect

While in the water I did check that the fins can raise and the springs provide a little tension - nothing weird there. When the kickstands are engaged they disengage automatically when under power. So, assuming the TV product is working as designed the issue must be in the steering controls. Hence my conclusion that the issue is being caused by the lack of sufficient steering clevis gap.

Will keep you posted!

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Totally normal
Really how interesting, here is a video sent to me by of one of my customers testing my steering out on his 19 foot boat for comparison Actually I like the idea of people in the real world doing comparisons , maybe this 4th you can talk to other Yamaha boaters out on the water and do some comparison boat tests with each others systems. https://fb.watch/dMr4yZ8EDA/ And a reminder be safe this holiday and look after each other.

Bruggar709

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi @Bruggar709. I just installed the Thrust Vectors (TVs) on my 2007 SX210 then found the steering unusually stiff at almost all speeds. I don't think this is a product design issue, I think it's because of an installation error I made that I have yet to correct; I overtightened the steering cable clevis bolts, crushing the clevis and reducing the gap to almost nil. I then only loosened the clevis bolt, I did not re-gap the clevis. In the TV installation instructions step 6 clearly advises the installer to "not crush the clevis by overtightening".

Tomorrow (Friday) or Saturday I will be hauling the boat out, re-gaping both steering cable clevises and testing. I will come back and let you know the outcome.

Here's is my post-TV-installation steering experience, for comparison to your own...

When floating (not under power) the steering requires a bit more muscle. I expect this considering the water that the fins need to be move when rotating the steering wheel. The physics add up in this case and my brain says "ok".

However...
At no-wake speed (navigating-the-marina speed) it's stiffer than I would expect and that makes me nervous.
At low speed, the steering stiffness is much more than I'd expect.
When trying to get on plane, there is a point where the steering is so stiff that I'm fearful the steering cable will break.
At med-high speeds the steering stiffness is still more than I'd expect

While in the water I did check that the fins can raise and the springs provide a little tension - nothing weird there. When the kickstands are engaged they disengage automatically when under power. So, assuming the TV product is working as designed the issue must be in the steering controls. Hence my conclusion that the issue is being caused by the lack of sufficient steering clevis gap.

Will keep you posted!
Thanks for your experience, I will check my clevise and make sure I never crushed it and look forward to your update.

NeoBrew

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I just installed the thrust vectors and lateral thrusters on my 2018 210 FSH. I've had it out 3 times now and tried it at various speeds. I noticed no appreciable difference in steering pressures. All worked as advertised.

Bruggar709

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just installed the thrust vectors and lateral thrusters on my 2018 210 FSH. I've had it out 3 times now and tried it at various speeds. I noticed no appreciable difference in steering pressures. All worked as advertised.
I’m staring to wonder if it something with the 19’ boats as 21’s and up seem to have no issues

Steven Douglass

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey @Bruggar709, I completed the clevis re-gap (both) but it didn't reduce the steering stiffness introduced after installing the Thrust Vectors (TVs). I double checked the install and had another person check it as well and everything was right. And to be sure that I wasn't nuts, I took two experienced boat captains along for a rip today and let them drive, both confirmed that the steering was too difficult/stiff.

I uninstalled the TVs. Steering is back to normal, and I feel relieved.

I've no boat design knowledge, so I don't know exactly what it is about my 2007 SX210 that doesn't play nicely with the TVs. My guess is that the hull design is too shallow and as a result the TVs don't disengage as expected when under power.

I wish I had better results/info to share, hope you solve your mystery.

Happy Canada Day, eh? Sorry.

Bruggar709

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Honestly I’m thinking the spring is too stiff to allow the TV to go up out of the way of the jet, but I’m no engineer

Bruggar709

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey @Bruggar709, I completed the clevis re-gap (both) but it didn't reduce the steering stiffness introduced after installing the Thrust Vectors (TVs). I double checked the install and had another person check it as well and everything was right. And to be sure that I wasn't nuts, I took two experienced boat captains along for a rip today and let them drive, both confirmed that the steering was too difficult/stiff.

I uninstalled the TVs. Steering is back to normal, and I feel relieved.

I've no boat design knowledge, so I don't know exactly what it is about my 2007 SX210 that doesn't play nicely with the TVs. My guess is that the hull design is too shallow and as a result the TVs don't disengage as expected when under power.

I wish I had better results/info to share, hope you solve your mystery.

Happy Canada Day, eh? Sorry.
I uninstalled my TV today and will update on steering after I have water tested. Do you have the Lateral Thrusters?

Stubok

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
NeoBrew, how do you like the TV’s & LT’s on your 210 FSH? I’m pretty much sold on getting the TV’s for my 210FSH for better slow speed control, but not sure on the LT’s. Im still trying to get my head around how they improve the latest iteration of the reverse side of the nozzle with it being split in 2.

Thanks!

JetterB

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
FWIW, I installed a TV on my '18 AR190 two weeks ago and love it! Significant difference at low speed handling with no serious effort to turn the wheel either direction compared to no TV. I followed the Youtube video guide step-by-step and it works as advertised. "no serious effort" = I can turn the wheel with one finger no issue at all.

Bruggar709

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So finally had a chance to test my SX190 after removing the LT and steering is back to normal. She handles now like she should, As a note I also followed the JBP youtube video on the installation as well as read the instructions several times ands even emailed JBP looking for some clarity. I love the product and hope to figure out the issue. Still have the LT and no issues with them. My top speed with 4 adults was 45mph. Think it's up a little without the TV,

Last edited:

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
So finally had a chance to test my SX190 after removing the LT and steering is back to normal. She handles now like she should, As a note I also followed the JBP youtube video on the installation as well as read the instructions several times ands even emailed JBP looking for some clarity. I love the product and hope to figure out the issue. Still have the LT and no issues with them. My top speed with 4 adults was 45mph. Think it's up a little without the TV,
I cant speak to the JBP LT, but I have the CJS Ultimate AK-19 Deluxe on my 2022 SX195 ad did not notice any difference with the steering at high speeds. I believe the JBP product hang lower in the water creating more "dig" when turning? its an odd question as I do not have experience with LT, but are they supposed to rise when at cruising speed? Maybe they are sticking down and biting? Again, this is just a long shot?

Bruggar709

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I cant speak to the JBP LT, but I have the CJS Ultimate AK-19 Deluxe on my 2022 SX195 ad did not notice any difference with the steering at high speeds. I believe the JBP product hang lower in the water creating more "dig" when turning? its an odd question as I do not have experience with LT, but are they supposed to rise when at cruising speed? Maybe they are sticking down and biting? Again, this is just a long shot?
That’s what I think it happening but I’m no engineer,

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
i have a 19' with TV everything works perfectly and nothing noticeable when I installed. Do you have the right TV for your model year and you checked with JBP on that? Also add picture here so we can see how you installed it