• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thrust Vector Wake In The Field Updates

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hey guys and gals,

We've been getting some feedback from Thrust Vector Wake users over the past week or so. Most has been good, but some not so good.

Here's what we know thus far. The product is delivering as promised. Thrust Vector Wake makes a dry ride and a clean surf wave. That is not being disputed.

The negatives that we're hearing are coming from 2012-2018 model year 19 foot owners and a handfull of twins from a variety of years. We're working to narrow down the year and model of the boats that have known issues and will be working on a solution as quickly as possible.

Complaint 1: The up stop on the right side was in some cases coming into contact with the steering clevis preventing installation completion
Solution: Up stops modified in shop to allow for greater clearance for the clevis and the clevis mount bolt.
(If you are needing new up stops for the right side or new clevis bolts please call us tomorrow and we'll get those out to you or if you want instructions on how to modify in the field watch this video for examples of how we are modifying the parts in house.

Complaint 2: Reverse bucket rubbing on up stop bolt head or nut.
Solution: Reduced the diameter of the up stop bolt and nut and increased the thread count to compensate. This solution goes into effect when our new inventory comes in in a few weeks. (this issue did not occur often but nonetheless we wanted to be proactive and adjust to be safe)

Complaint 3: Heaviness in steering wheel at speeds above 15 mph.
Cause: Fins are being held in the water at high speeds so the wheel can be tough to turn in some cases.
Solution: Ongoing... For now if you'd like to adjust your up stop bolts to allow the fins to travel farther out of the water, you can do this while we are working on a fix. If you adjust your up stop bolt heads away from the transom you're going to allow the fins to rotate like a normal set of Thrust Vectors. You'll lose the down deflection but can still go boating without having to remove the entire system.

Our testing was done on a 2019 AR195, a 2018 212X and a 2011 SX240. We felt like we had done the best due diligence that we could and our previous knowledge of Yamaha jet boats led us to believe that our research was sound.

Today we acquired a loaner 2018 190 FSH sport for comparison to our 2019 here in the shop. We have already observed some differences which should allow us to come up with a solution.

Also note we have paused shipments of Thrust Vector Wake units for today and will be meeting again in the morning to discuss whether or not we'll be shipping units as they are or if adjustments need to be made prior to their going out. Some boats are not effected by the heaviness issue but again we're going to be working to determine which ones can ship and which ones may need to be held.

If you have any questions about any of the complaints above please feel free to reach out to me personally at will@jetboatpilot.com. I am actively working on this and can assure you my entire team is working to get this right as quickly as possible.
We appreciate all of your patience as we adjust to this unforseen issue. We will make this right.

mrtrav

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Are the above three issues mentioned only for non 2019 model boats or should I be worried about any of them for my 2019 AR195?

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Complaint 3: So fins aren’t coming out of water all the way... isn’t that what we want (In order to deflect the wash at all speeds)? Having had Cobra fins on my previous boat, I loved the fins down all the time. It was a little stiffer to turn, but I felt it was worth it. Is that what we are talking about? I thought we were talking about the steering cable jamming or something really requiring some elbow grease to turn. I never felt like my Cobra fins were really that difficult to turn.

@JetBoatPilot Any interest in adding your modified fin to the inside of the port side pump and a 2nd tie-rod? I know you have said that you don’t like the added stress of turning with fins in the water... would a 2nd tie rod mitigate that stress some?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Thank you for having and using my patented steering in the past I am glad you liked it as for having the features in this steering He can't nor can any one else. I own the patents on all the stuff you talked about, full time steering adjustments that allow you to set the fins in or out of the water at speed or adding a second tie rod even an interconnecting single tie rod. It is the reason people spend so much money on big patents to protect their intellectual property . what people don't know it is even prohibited to make your own and USE an item that is patented without license to do it from the patent owner. The doctrine of equivalents really extends the patent owners realm of protection .. On top of the 4 I own I also have a 5th patent pending that one I am being told will be approved very soon. I believe and always have believed that having full time steering is the only way to go .

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I should get my unit this week for 2018 AR195. Should I wait to install? I am a bit more on the novice side so I don't mind waiting.

Edit: Actually came in today. Red looks pretty awesome.

0E88CAAF-AAEA-4DBA-BE1B-5CD72628F6E9.jpeg

Last edited:

ilangtry

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hey guys and gals,

We've been getting some feedback from Thrust Vector Wake users over the past week or so. Most has been good, but some not so good.

Here's what we know thus far. The product is delivering as promised. Thrust Vector Wake makes a dry ride and a clean surf wave. That is not being disputed.

The negatives that we're hearing are coming from 2012-2018 model year 19 foot owners and a handfull of twins from a variety of years. We're working to narrow down the year and model of the boats that have known issues and will be working on a solution as quickly as possible.

Complaint 1: The up stop on the right side was in some cases coming into contact with the steering clevis preventing installation completion
Solution: Up stops modified in shop to allow for greater clearance for the clevis and the clevis mount bolt.
(If you are needing new up stops for the right side or new clevis bolts please call us tomorrow and we'll get those out to you or if you want instructions on how to modify in the field watch this video for examples of how we are modifying the parts in house.

Complaint 2: Reverse bucket rubbing on up stop bolt head or nut.
Solution: Reduced the diameter of the up stop bolt and nut and increased the thread count to compensate. This solution goes into effect when our new inventory comes in in a few weeks. (this issue did not occur often but nonetheless we wanted to be proactive and adjust to be safe)

Complaint 3: Heaviness in steering wheel at speeds above 15 mph.
Cause: Fins are being held in the water at high speeds so the wheel can be tough to turn in some cases.
Solution: Ongoing... For now if you'd like to adjust your up stop bolts to allow the fins to travel farther out of the water, you can do this while we are working on a fix. If you adjust your up stop bolt heads away from the transom you're going to allow the fins to rotate like a normal set of Thrust Vectors. You'll lose the down deflection but can still go boating without having to remove the entire system.

Our testing was done on a 2019 AR195, a 2018 212X and a 2011 SX240. We felt like we had done the best due diligence that we could and our previous knowledge of Yamaha jet boats led us to believe that our research was sound.

Today we acquired a loaner 2018 190 FSH sport for comparison to our 2019 here in the shop. We have already observed some differences which should allow us to come up with a solution.

Also note we have paused shipments of Thrust Vector Wake units for today and will be meeting again in the morning to discuss whether or not we'll be shipping units as they are or if adjustments need to be made prior to their going out. Some boats are not effected by the heaviness issue but again we're going to be working to determine which ones can ship and which ones may need to be held.

If you have any questions about any of the complaints above please feel free to reach out to me personally at will@jetboatpilot.com. I am actively working on this and can assure you my entire team is working to get this right as quickly as possible.
We appreciate all of your patience as we adjust to this unforseen issue. We will make this right.
Thanks for the update Will!

dadofral

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We finally have ours installed. Gonna try to run them Friday night and see if any of these issues pop up. We did experience the reverse bucket rubbing on the head of the up stop bolt but had to adjust the upstop out so it gave a little more clearance. I’m sure with time all issues will be taken care of.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
For those of us with a 2011 24’ boat, can we request shipment since you had tested on a similar vintage boat?

I understand if not, but it was worth asking.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Complaint 3: So fins aren’t coming out of water all the way... isn’t that what we want (In order to deflect the wash at all speeds)? Having had Cobra fins on my previous boat, I loved the fins down all the time. It was a little stiffer to turn, but I felt it was worth it. Is that what we are talking about? I thought we were talking about the steering cable jamming or something really requiring some elbow grease to turn. I never felt like my Cobra fins were really that difficult to turn.

@JetBoatPilot Any interest in adding your modified fin to the inside of the port side pump and a 2nd tie-rod? I know you have said that you don’t like the added stress of turning with fins in the water... would a 2nd tie rod mitigate that stress some?
We prefer not to have fins in the water at speed. If they are adjusted that way they are not being used as recommended.

Joemo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I recently received and excitedly installed my new Thrust Vector Wake. I was immediately impressed with the results. Wake formed up very nice, slow speed handling was PERFECT, and jet was splash was fully under control.

All that said, the steering weight was extreme and there was an annoying spray at the swim deck.

I contacted the team at Jet Boat Pilot and shared my observations with Will. He and I agreed to begin testing a new configuration on my AR195. I received the test parts and installed them right away.

I was shocked at the improvement in steering and the elimination of the light spray at the swim deck.

Will and the team at JBP are 100% dedicated to ensuring they get this right. I commend them for the approach they are taking and I am sure we will all be pleased with the end result. Hang in their Jet Boaters, this is a game changer!

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I recently received and excitedly installed my new Thrust Vector Wake. I was immediately impressed with the results. Wake formed up very nice, slow speed handling was PERFECT, and jet was splash was fully under control.

All that said, the steering weight was extreme and there was an annoying spray at the swim deck.

I contacted the team at Jet Boat Pilot and shared my observations with Will. He and I agreed to begin testing a new configuration on my AR195. I received the test parts and installed them right away.

I was shocked at the improvement in steering and the elimination of the light spray at the swim deck.

Will and the team at JBP are 100% dedicated to ensuring they get this right. I commend them for the approach they are taking and I am sure we will all be pleased with the end result. Hang in their Jet Boaters, this is a game changer!
Awesome! Pumped to hear your feedback!

bthessel

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Any feedback on 2009 23 ft boats? I was thinking of putting mine on my AR230 this weekend after we are done boating so they are ready to go next weekend but willing to wait till the revisions are made of it means the steering will be affected at higher speeds.

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Any pics or video or the install on your boat?

Nick212

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
@JetBoatPilot

This affects the 2018 212 Limited as well. During the install I had to cut the upstops for the steering clevis. Also, the clevis bolt is a little long. We also have reverse bucket rub on both port and starboard sides. Also getting the heavy steering. I'm going to try to adjust the upstop bolts to raise them up higher at speed.

I'm not complaining, just giving you more information for your research.

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
103253IMG_7936.JPG

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral