• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thrust Vectors or Cobra Fins?

Which is better - A = Thrust Vectors B = Cobra Fins C = none

• A

Votes: 26 42.6%
  • B

Votes: 26 42.6%
  • C

Votes: 9 14.8%

• Total voters

squintey

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
2 questions...
Do either of these fins reduce top speed?
Any advantage one over the other?

I use to run an LS 2000 and it took lots of hours to master low speed maneuvers. I wonder if I need them in the new boat, 242 L/S?

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've had both, they both do the same thing. According to my wife, TV XL's are prettier. Neither decrease top speed. Both can be configured to flip up and not impede performance through turns.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Omg....
you didn't just go there?

They both do the job. Do your own research and find your personal preference. I KNOW there is more info out there than you can read in a day camparing the two and they both keep updating to better and better designs.
you can't lose!

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Holy shit......get your popcorn ready! This is like asking which is better, Republicans or Democrats!

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Since you have past experience with jets, I would first see how your boat handles without fins, then make a decision if you need them or not.

As for which brand of fins, both are very good products and both makers provide great support on this forum. Whichever way you go, you can't make a bad choice.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
In my humble opinion, the difference is in the level of Service ........
And Will Owen's is beyond TOP NOTCH - @JetBoatPilot.

No one ever paid for my opinion, but if they did, that is what I'ld tell ya.
In the meantime, y'all have a most Wonderful Day.

Another GREAT reason to do business with Will @JetBoatPilot is:

While "you're there" you can also purchase SeaDek, Accessory SeaDek, ThrottleSync's, and TruLocks 2's.
And lots more. I have been doing biz with Will for about 2 years now, and it only keeps getting better and better !
This is a non-paid endorsement for a Quality Company. Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Last edited:

squintey

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Got the popcorn, have to wait till it's 5:00 somewhere for the malted beverage! lol
Thanks for the help, to all. I knew this was a better forum than the "other" one!

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Got the popcorn, have to wait till it's 5:00 somewhere for the malted beverage! lol
Thanks for the help, to all. I knew this was a better forum than the "other" one!
Indeed it is ..... spread the word to the quality members.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I haven't seen any need for either. Everyone in our crew has mastered and it really didn't take that long. I drove into narrow set of docks this week end and turned around on axis, it was pretty sweet. Also like nosing in to dock at angle and pivoting the boat around gently to where you just drive out straight.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Here is a video that shows how these boats handle and the boat in the video doesn't have fins. The one big thing this video doesn't cover is handling under windy conditions which fins won't help with either.

Last edited:

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
BEER ?????????????
FREE BEER ???????????????????
Free Beer - JBN - X1 sm.jpg

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I put on TVXL's after the wife refused to even TRY driving the boat anymore. (I felt I was doing fine without them.)

They really do help. They let you be a little bit more "lazy" at the wheel at slow speeds. Most importantly, she is willing to drive the boat now.

Having been an "I don't need 'em" guy, I'm converted. Get some kind of fins. You'll appreciate the difference.

(I can't speak for the Cobras - I have no experience with them and therefore won't be voting.)

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Biggest benefit I saw from the addition of the Cobra Ultimates is the improved straight line tracking at slow speeds. No more driving like a drunk sailor and you can let go of the wheel now without immediately turning off course.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you are going to add fins you want either manufacturer's largest size for any boat newer than a LX210. The original fin designs worked well for the LX210, LS2000 and Exciters but are too small for the current models.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What kind of popcorn do you prefer? Buttered, Cheese, Caramel? Wait for it, Wait for it.................

john94si

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
OK i will order the thrust vectors now. Now mats.. if i get the JBP mat does it match the swim platform?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length