• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thunderstorms Tomorrow

Honey Badger

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The boat is going to be in the water for the next week, and it looks like we have some thunderstorms rolling in tomorrow. Is it possible to put the mooring cover on while its in the water, or should I just let the bilge pump do its thing. Thanks for any advice.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Mooring cover isn't waterproof I don't believe. I'd just turn the bilge on if you're not going to be around the monitor the boat.

Last edited:

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If it's this one, it's supposed to be water resistant. Pour some water on it and see. I bought a new one for my 2008 earlier this year and it's water resistant.
https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/details/deluxe-premium-tower-mooring-cover

I would put the cover on along with the supports in the front or an inflated tube or something to keep the water from pooling. And as others have said, turn the bilge pump on auto (if you have an auto setting) if you are going to be away from the boat.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Mine sheds water good but some does get through.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have left mine uncovered in significant rain. Your seats will get wet and you may need to clean up some things. But usually I just put everything away and leave it uncovered. The cockpit self-bails. Have had no issues.

As others have said, the bilge should always be on in the water.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My mooring cover is pretty water resistant. Even held a pool of water during a torrential downpour that filled it faster than it could shed. Boat's always dry inside.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Some water is better than all the water. If mine is out in the rain I toss the cover on it and make sure the bilge is on.

You'll want to get the cover off before the heat hits it after the rain as well. It can get a damp smell quickly if you let it heat cycle a few times.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Pooling poles make a world of difference.
They were in, we got caught in the storm and it had accumulated the water before I could finish putting the cover on - lightning was getting close so I wasn't staying any longer than I needed to. Water stayed there overnight until I could get back to the boat. Just saying, if not waterproof, it's really quite resistant.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Pretty much no one takes their covers to bimini, so leaving it off isn't an issue. That said, depending on where you are and they type of storm, putting the cover on might save some clean up - ie will you be near trees etc and want to deal with leaves/pine needles?

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As @Julian said, getting water in the boat shouldn't be a problem; you might just have to deal with some debris. Make sure that your ski locker (assuming you have one) drain is open, because it's likely that you'll get water into your ski locker. Although, there's a channel that goes around the opening that is supposed to lead to the deck drain, most if not all of the current gen boat decks have a tendency to sit bow-down in the water and as such water will enter your ski locker from the leading (bow) edge rather than flow along the drain channel to the deck drain. You don't want your ski locker to fill with water, unless you're goin' fishin' and want a live well ;)
Security is another thing to consider. If you have concerns, you'll probably want to cover the boat.

Honey Badger

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Julian and @MrMoose great points guys. This isn't a very big storm coming in. Maybe 1/2 inch total of rain. And security isn't an issue. Just way over thinking things. My first boat and I'm paranoid about everything.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I put my cover on every time at my slip in the water. I have the hangtyte system so it does make it easier.

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I always cover with the poles in place when in the slip. :thumbsup:

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I put my cover on every time at my slip in the water. I have the hangtyte system so it does make it easier.
Yep. Unless I'm leaving late at night and will be back first thing in the AM (with no weather forecasted), cover goes on.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Cover it. The primary reason for any boat cover is to keep the boat clean and dry. After the cover is a couple of years old, or if it's been washed you will need to reapply waterproofing.