• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Time for a Grill

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I recently purchased a 2016 242 x, and I want a grill on the rear swim platform.

1. Which grill do you recommend?
2. Should I just purchase another table let for the grill?
3. After using the grill, do you store it before embarking? Obviously after it has cooled. Where do you store it?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
  1. I bought a Magma kettle grill
  2. I bought another table leg for mine.
  3. I bought a bag for it, and once I'm done cooking I make sure there is no grease in the catch, let it cool, wipe it off with paper towels, wrap in paper towels and then put in its storage bag in the "changing/portapotti closet"

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Perfect Julian, driving under speed with the grill in place isn't a good idea correct?

EDIT

Which size are you using? Happy with that choice?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
1. I have been using a Magma Cabo since 2013. It still works like new but has developed the "patina" that they all do after usage.
2. Mine is mounted at the bow as seen at this link https://jetboaters.net/threads/mounting-magma-grill-on-the-bow.2842/#post-45418
3. It is stored in the Magma bag with accessories then placed into the head compartment.

It is rare that I find any need to clean the grill on the boat. I stick to foods like shish kabobs, fish, shrimp, hot dogs / sausages and steaks that are less greasy. I hardly ever find any grease in the drip tray. I clean the grill when needed. On the Bimini trip we grill a wider variety of foods so it probably gets cleaned twice over the week long trip where it is used once or twice a day.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
driving under speed with the grill in place isn't a good idea correct?
My bow mount locks in place and I have driven short distances with the grill in place. I would avoid high speed or wake with it mounted.

The grill cools quickly so this has rarely been an issue.

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Looks good, so I need the leg, the grill, anything else (just for mounting)?

Do the magma grills fit the table leg without any additional parts?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do the magma grills fit the table leg without any additional parts?
You will need a magma mount. Which mount will change with which grill you buy. I believe the rod holder style mounts work well with your existing table leg.

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
thanks, order coming soon!

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If going with the magma grill, you need the grill, grill mount that attaches to boat table leg
I would recommend buying an table extra leg

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm thinking rectangle, I guess because that's what I am more used to?

Definitely getting the additional leg, I want to use the table and grill at the same time.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Definitely getting the additional leg, I want to use the table and grill at the same time.
Table legs are shockingly expensive. Would you not need a second table mount to use both at the same time?

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I only have one but need to order another one. I wish I could use the table the same I use the grill. Remember after cooking the grill needs to cool off for an hour before you can move it.

cozilla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I did the same set up as @Bruce and cannot tell you the convenience that putting the grill in the bow offers. Having it in the bow keeps the hot grill and food out of the way of the action going on on the swim deck. Love the set up.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I bought my extra table leg online from a motorcycle parts place (forget the name and I'm not home-dealing with my sick dad)....was the cheapest place to buy it. When the first one arrived it had all sorts of scratches on the leg. They were very good about replacing it with a new one.

I do need to get a mount for putting my grill on top of the leg.....right now I'm using my old mount from my last boat that attached to my flag pole holder.

I may get another table base plate for the bow and another table so all the kids can eat up front at a table while the adults eat in the cabin.....still working this out.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
On our boat food prep is in the bow. The grill is mounted in front of the anchor locker. I have a large rubber cutting board that has grooves to catch liquid that goes on a bow seat when I need a prep area.

If we have a large group eating on the boat the adults are typically in the cockpit area with the kids on the swim deck which will be easier to wash off.

If we have more than our family on the boat I will often cook more than the grill can handle at once. With this layout everyone can comfortably enjoy the first course while the second is cooking.

Last edited:

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Michael Rasmussen, I have the same setup as shown in @Benny Sibbitt's pic. I purchased the extra table leg. I store all of my grilling stuff, (extra table leg, utensils, lighter, propane, shelf, disinfectant wipes) in the Magma carrying bag that is designed to hold the grill. As far as cleaning, I usually get some grease in the drip pan, so I wipe it up with disposable disinfectant wipes before putting it away. My carrying case fits nicely under the starboard bench seat in the cockpit where the cooler is supposed to go. I don't use the "Yamaha" cooler that came with the boat.
I used the Magma Pow'r Grip Levelock to mount the grill to the table leg. I used an ABS sleeve (plumbing drain pipe) on the inside of the table leg to get a better grip between the leg and the pow'r grip. It takes me 3 minutes to set up, including the time to pull it out from the seat storage.
upload_2017-1-24_10-48-9.png

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
On our boat food prep is in the bow. The grill is mounted aft of the anchor locker. I have a large rubber cutting board that has grooves to catch liquid that goes on a bow seat when I need a prep area.

If we have a large group eating on the boat the adults are typically in the cockpit area with the kids on the swim deck which will be easier to wash off.

If we have more than our family on the boat I will often cook more than the grill can handle at once. With this layout everyone can comfortably enjoy the first course while the second is cooking.
The more I think about it your set up sounds nice. I bought the Cabo grill a few weeks ago and been thinking about how I wanted to mount it. I think back to last summer and every time we were anchored the swim platform was a busy place. Adding a grill back there would get in the way. Can you stand and grill with it mounted in the bow? Or do you sit?

Last edited:

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The more I think about it your set up sounds nice. I bought the Cabo grill a few weeks ago and been thinking about how I wanted to mount it. I think back to last summer and every time we were anchored the swim platform was a busy place. Adding a grill back there would get in the way. Can you stand and grill with it mounted in the bow? Or do you sit?
I typically stand and grill. Mounting on the bow places it quite a way above the floor. It may be a little low for standing and probably a little high for sitting but it has never bothered me.

I do sit to use the cutting board on the seat but it is well within reach of tongs to move food from one place to another.

Attachments

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length