• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Time on the water

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just a little report on our afternoon on the water...

I haven't had the boat on the water much this year, perhaps 6 or 7 times. My son called and asked to go out so I jumped on the opportunity. It was a nice but different day.

First I filled the boat gas tank for the first time since July; that will indicate how little we've used it. It only took 21 gallons. Sad but true. The bonus was the price per gallon was only $3.49, the lowest I've paid in a very long time. California gas prices are higher than most other states. Six weeks ago we paid $4.05.

My son and I drove the 15 miles to the launch ramp then waited for others to show up. I took a few photos today; nothing special.

This is the Brandy Creek area launch ramp on Whiskeytown lake. It's a sizable parking area for trailers but I've never seen more than the three rows closest to the ramp filled. Today, being a Monday in late September, it was very thin. That's my boat with the 4Runner door open, one of only three trailers in the parking area. We are in the first lane right in front of the ramp.
20140922_121401-X2.jpg

We moved to Redding, CA from Southern California in 2011. The Los Angeles area must have 10s of 1,000s of boats and precious few lakes. Launch areas down there can be counted on to have full parking lots. Most lakes have max-boats-on-the-water limits and hit those limits most nice summer weekends. We were so pleased to find exactly the opposite up here.
20140922_121453-X2.jpg

My son sits in the boat waiting for the rest of the passengers to arrive.
20140922_121523-X2.jpg

While waiting I took a few photos. The air was a little smoky due to the fires burning in California. It doesn't show up too much in this photo but normally those distant mountains are quite clear to the eye.
20140922_121344-X2.jpg

All of the lakes in this region are very clear. You can literally drink the water; I've talked to fishermen who do just dip their cups in the water rather than carry water with them. I personally haven't done that.
20140922_121351-X2.jpg

A clear sign that fall has arrived.
20140922_121509-X2.jpg

My son, on the left, who initiated this boating day, his 16 month old son, and his girl friend/mother of the baby. Little Jaxxen hated the life jacket and screamed for 45 minutes before giving up and having a good time. We almost cut the day short due to that unpleasant experience. But later he was at ease and walked all over the boat laughing and having fun. Whew! My middle son is driving.
20140922_143348-X2.jpg

One thing that made this a much different day is my son Keith, at the wheel, just pulled away from the dock in No Wake Mode and started cruising around the small lake. For the next three hours that's all we did. We didn't go over 5 mph for more than 5 minutes the whole day. Nobody wanted to be towed so we just sat and talked. It was actually very nice but I've never done that before. Since I had just filled the boat I'm curious to top it off again to see how much gas we used.

For about a half hour the wind came up and two sailboats came out of the marina. One was a 5.2 Nacra and the other a 25' Cal. You can barely see the Nacra in this photo. The afternoon got a bit cool and, while no whitecaps, the lake was bumpy.
20140922_143359-X2.jpg

My oldest daughter. Lucky me, I had three of my six children with me today.
20140922_143351-L.jpg

Fun for me is I got to play with my new WeatherHawk SM-18 SkyMate Hand-Held Wind Meter, Yellow that my wife gave me for my birthday last week. It had decent user ratings on Amazon and was in my wish list for over a year. It registers wind speed and temperature. The temperature reading is recorded with that small sensor in the left window shown below. It changes temperature readings in a matter of seconds. I measured 81 degrees in the cockpit but when I held it up in the wind off the port side of the boat it dropped to 77 degrees in 3 or 4 seconds. Fun. I'm always curious about the temperature and wind-speed. I wish I had something to indicate water temperature.

WeatherHawk.jpg

Anyway in spite of the baby screaming it was a pretty good, relaxing afternoon.

Last edited:
Nice report. Pretty lake. Can't comprehend only going 5 mph the entire day. I did not know our boats traveled that slow! Bye bye summer I put mine away over a month ago! So sad.

Nice lake. I like to cruise in no wake and just stroll around.

Thanks for sharing your day! I need to replace my temp gauge in my boat I'll look into that one as it has an additional cool feature, wind speed. You can buy simple water temp sensors off of amazon. Might need to put one of those in your wish list. ;)

Sounds like a hell of a good way to spend a Monday!! Thanks for sharing it with us...:winkingthumbsup"

@ jdonalds , thanks for sharing, it seems like the only thing that could have made it better would have been to have more of your kids onboard. I've found that a lot of times it's not what you do (on the boat and elsewhere) but who you do it with that matters.

I lived in scal while I was in college, picked up my current boat there and visited there a few weeks ago. The boating situation there has not changed, that is it is still over crowded (there were a few times in college that I could not launch in the ocean because the marina parking lot was full). though there seemed to be a lot of lakes they also seemed to be very spread out so getting to them in scal traffic was always a hassle. Currently, Lake Castaic and Hughes are down quite a bit since I picked up my 242 in Aug. 2012.

Glad to hear the fire(s) are not effecting you. It sad to see what happened to the small town/city of Weed. Hopefully the boating season isn't over for you yet and you have a few more days like that on the water.

Nice report. Pretty lake. Can't comprehend only going 5 mph the entire day. I did not know our boats traveled that slow! Bye bye summer I put mine away over a month ago! So sad.

A month ago? You're further south than me and I'll be on mine this weekend. . . . . . THERE's STILL TIME!

hahaha Lake Minnetonka (one of the busiest lakes in the midwest) had all-lake wake restrictions (no wake/5mph) from June all the way until August. It was terrible, but we made the best of it! Then after they went off, not a soul travelled below full throttle, and it is still that way today! -- so much fun

hahaha Lake Minnetonka (one of the busiest lakes in the midwest) had all-lake wake restrictions (no wake/5mph) from June all the way until August. It was terrible, but we made the best of it! Then after they went off, not a soul travelled below full throttle, and it is still that way today! -- so much fun

For what reason? Erosion control? Safety?

Many of the twin cities lakes were in no wake mode from June until mid way through July because of heavy rains and flooding. It is done for the reasons you mention.

@0627Devildog well they "said" it was in the name of "erosion control" but the truth is they saw an extreme money making opportunity. They must have made thousands and thousands with the amount of tickets and fines from May to August. Even if they let you off for the wake they'll find something else wrong, and ticket you for that.

@0627Devildog well they "said" it was in the name of "erosion control" but the truth is they saw an extreme money making opportunity. They must have made thousands and thousands with the amount of tickets and fines from May to August. Even if they let you off for the wake they'll find something else wrong, and ticket you for that.

That is quite a claim. If true, it would be interesting to know what they netted in issued tickets v.s. what they lost in local tax revenue for all those who would rather stay home than cruise at no wake.

We went out again yesterday. I took four boys from a youth recovery center. One of our friends is a counselor at the center. It was very rewarding for me. One of the boys had never been on a boat before. Two of the other three had been only once in their life. Two of the boys got up on the wake board, one on the knee board, and they all had a blast on the tube. The boys laughed almost the whole time they were on the boat.

One of the boys said he had seen people doing these things on TV but never imagined he would be able to do it. He was one who got up on the wake board after the fifth try.

I have no agreement to post their photos or I would.

We went on the same lake. The air temp hit 85 degrees and the water hasn't yet turned very cold. None of the boys complained about the water. It was a great day.

We went out again yesterday. I took four boys from a youth recovery center. One of our friends is a counselor at the center. It was very rewarding for me. One of the boys had never been on a boat before. Two of the other three had been only once in their life. Two of the boys got up on the wake board, one on the knee board, and they all had a blast on the tube. The boys laughed almost the whole time they were on the boat.

One of the boys said he had seen people doing these things on TV but never imagined he would be able to do it. He was one who got up on the wake board after the fifth try.

I have no agreement to post their photos or I would.

We went on the same lake. The air temp hit 85 degrees and the water hasn't yet turned very cold. None of the boys complained about the water. It was a great day.
Now, that's what it's all about!

Back