• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tips for BBQ ribs on a gas grill?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ok I've never made ribs before and I'm going to do it in my gas grill today. Wife has done them in the oven before but it ain't the same. Any tips from you rib masters? We did a rub on the ribs overnight in the fridge. I've read up and plan on doing it with indirect heat, so meat on one side and fire on the other (I have four burners). Do I need to have water on top of the fire so that it helps with humidity and moisture? Do I need to add wood chips to the water to get the smoke flavor? There are a TON of rib recipes out there and it's a bit overwhelming lol.

Last edited:

nate kennedy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We have an egg, but what we do is sear them... wrap in tinfoil and bring temp down on the grill.., then put them back on low and slow... many different ways and it can be very overwhelming... we tried many ways to find what what like

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a buddy that sauces them up inside foil and puts them in the oven for 6-8 hours at 200 degrees.

The next day , or whenever, he finishes them off on the grill to carmelize the sugars.

arew~SX230

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Too late now but...

Never had any luck directly on grill, they need time to sweat out the fast and break down the connective tissue, and my grill cannot maintain a low enough hat for this.

Dry rub, sit over night in fridge wrapped in saran wrap.
Put on a rack on a high sided baking sheet tent tightly with foil put in oven @275 3-4 hours.
Baste lightly with sauce grill over low/med low heat for 20-25 flip and baste every 5 or so.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Update on the ribs: I made some smoke bombs for the hickory wood chips and using indirect heat of 275 degrees. We marinade the ribs last night using Famous Dave's Rib Rub. I brushed oil on the ribs and then added more rub before placing on the cool side of the grill. It's been an hour now and I just mixed up my spritz using 4 oz each of apple juice, pineapple juice and apple cider vinegar and then sprayed the ribs. They are starting to look pretty good and the smell is great! I have another hour to go and then I will wrap the ribs in foil with butter, brown sugar and a little more rub for another hour. Then pull them to baste with BBQ sauce and back on the grill for 15-20 mins. Hopefully they are tasty after all this work lol

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just pulled them out so I could wrap them in foil with butter, cinnamon, sugar and a little rub. Another hour and then I can hopefully be ready to baste.

Attachments

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Not really an answer to your question, but I have a pressure cooker and there is actually a really good rib recipe on you tube, its the one involving apple cider vinegar.

Entire cooking time less than an hour, fall off the bone goodness.....

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
They turned out great, tender and packing a lot of flavor! Can for sure taste the hickory too.

Attachments

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I have one of those new grills that does both propane and charcoal. I use the propane to lite the charcoal and use hardwood charcoal. I also have a smoker box i can put in there. I really want to start trying different things but most the time i just don't want to burn stuff!
I have tried on the old grill with the smoker box and the hickory nut shells ledt over from the squirrels. Not bad. Not terribly strong so second time i soaked the shells in water for a while and that helped a little i think.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I used 4 cups of hickory chips in two separate smoke bomb pouches, one was wet chips and the other dry, helping get as much smoke flavor as I could from a gas grill. Wasn't bad at all but obviously won't compare to a true smoker. This being my first time making ribs or cooking on it for long period I've learned my hood gauge isn't as accurate as I had hoped. Ended up having to raise the temp a little towards the end to help get the meat to pull off the ends of the bone.

NavyShooter

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GT
Boat Length
I do mine in the oven.

Dry Rub: 1/2 cup of white sugar + 1/3 cup assorted spices

Lay down 2 layers of tin foil, put ribs on, do dry rub on the 'outside' and flip that down against the foil.

Poke inside of ribs with fork to break skin, then apply remainder of dry-rub.

Pour on top a mix of the following:
-Worcestershire sauce (a few drops)
-Bullseye BBQ Sauce
-Concentrated lemon juice (a few drops)
-HP Sauce
-Splash of Red-Hot

Pour the above mix onto the inside of the ribs, right onto the dry rub.

Peel out another layer of foil, and put it on top, seal it in on the edges by folding them up.

Pop in oven at 275-295, leave for 2+ hours, and done. Cooked at 2 hours, falling off the bones tender at 2 1/2 hours.

NS

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
They have been showing some cool bbq shows with kids doing cookoffs which has been cool to watch on the cooking channel. Sorry for those that don't pay for tv! (Side note, i called comcast earlier this year and dropped my whole package to less than just internet!