• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tips for drivers

RiverRatSx210

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
so I’ve tried to search multiple times and all that comes up is tips for first time riders.. which I also need- but I am also a first time driver pulling up a surfer, should also mention I DO NOT have a tower. I know it’s going to difficult for any one getting up without the tower. My dad and I both tried last weekend but the water was too cold and neither one of us got up. Partly due to not really watching any videos and just giving it a go. I have only pulled a skier behind my boat once, and a wakeboarder behind a friends malibu once. We played with the throttle attempting to pull each other up slower and faster, but really didn’t spend more than a few attempts each (Columbia river way too cold)

Our next time out we are going to be tying off to surf side cleat and shortening our rope around 10-15ft.

What are some tips you can give as a driver? I know my speed should fall around 10mph +\- 1-3 depending on ballast board yatta yatta.. but how much throttle when pulling someone up?

I am 6’2” 290lbs and my dad is 5’10” 220ish, we are using a liquid force fish 5’6” board.

Thanks for any advice you can give, this site as been very helpful!

Last edited:

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Go slow until the rider is over the board and the tip is up, then punch it until up to speed. Go in and out of neutral to keep the rope tight while they are getting ready. The other option is to beach start in 1 to 2' of water, dock start (easiest) or belly start then stand up.

RiverRatSx210

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I want to try wake boarding as well, just haven’t purchased bindings for my size feet.

I purchased a used 750lb and two 250lb fat sac’s with a wakeboard for $140. Bindings are to small for me tho.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Experts sometimes appear as if they are pulled standing from the water. I tell my new riders to bend their knees and squat until they are on the board and in control, then extend. You can come out standing later when it's second nature, but must try the easy way first.

Keep rope taught before pulling, if there is slack the rope just gets yanked from your hands. (Sorry if obvious, but important)

If you pull slower it's more work for the rider, but if they are learning a slow pull gives them an opportunity to get a feel for getting up and what the board will do. I make them work for it until they complain, then go faster on the later starts.

I have not towed in a while, but I think this will still help. Best of luck!

RiverRatSx210

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the advice. It’s definitly going to be harder not having the upward pull a tower provides.

Yes, definitely keeping rope taught. We will start and work with slow pulls.

Do you guys pull the boarder straight or should I be slightly turning in to the surf side to aid in the rider getting board turned?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
From a beginner rider... Point directionally straight forward, towards the boat, and tip of board pointing to the sky in front and above the boat.

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Learn on a wakeboard if you are new to board sports. It's way easier.
So, people learn to wake surf on a wakeboard instead of a surf board? I have been wanting to try surfing but didn't want to invest that much money into a board without trying it first.

RiverRatSx210

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think he meant try wakeboarding in general before surfing. My friend told me the same thing, that it is way easier to wakeboard than to wakesurf. I have done neither, but I use to be an avid skateboarder and have been snow boarding a few times.

I have heard numerous times how addicting surfing is, I will eventually get up.

Evo.com has some boards on sale, we went with the liquid force fish 5’6” board because of our sizes and the reviews on how it’s a good beginner board and the price was $289 for board and rope.

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yeah, I wakeboard regularly and enjoy it. I also ski. Not sure if I want to invest in more watersports toys yet.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You may also benefit from adding some ballast and maybe a Yamaha/Gantlin wake wedge. Albeit not absolutely necessary until/unless you guys want to go ropeless. "Cleaning up" the wake makes surfing way easier.

--

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I know there is a lot of talk about how Yamaha advertises these boats as surfable when they really aren't but would a 212x like I have be able to do ok all stock with a rope?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know there is a lot of talk about how Yamaha advertises these boats as surfable when they really aren't but would a 212x like I have be able to do ok all stock with a rope?
Probably close! I find the swim platform bag to be the key.
Look up @bobbie wake surf pics for inspiration.
(but keep in mind she surfs in a "magic river")

--

RiverRatSx210

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have read some where on here a guy and his wife and go ropeless with no ballast on their ar210. I’m sure they had the wedge tho.. and it comes down to your board and weight and how skilled you are.

I picked up some used bags. Thought two out of the 3 were 250lbs bags but after airing them up and measuring them I think they are both in the 400-500 lbs range they are almost as big as my 50” fat sac 750.

I cannot afford the wedge... hoping someone upgrading to their new wedge will
Have an older one I can afford.. $1000.00 ouch.. more power to ya if you can afford that.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have read some where on here a guy and his wife and go ropeless with no ballast on their ar210. I’m sure they had the wedge tho.. and it comes down to your board and weight and how skilled you are.

I picked up some used bags. Thought two out of the 3 were 250lbs bags but after airing them up and measuring them I think they are both in the 400-500 lbs range they are almost as big as my 50” fat sac 750.

I cannot afford the wedge... hoping someone upgrading to their new wedge will
Have an older one I can afford.. $1000.00 ouch.. more power to ya if you can afford that.
Also check out "surf flap".

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

RiverRatSx210

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’ve been following all of those threads since last year! Great stuff.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Tips for the driver......from someone who constantly wants to ride behind his own boat, and is always training new drivers :D :D

First and foremost.....safety first. If at any point something doesn't look/feel right. STOP. For any reason without question or hesitation.

Now the first thing I give them is an idea of how to apply the throttle. Smooth and progressive. You want the rider to have the line taunt to start, so leaving the jet in "forward" at idle is enough to keep that rope from going slack, yet not enough to yank it out of the riders hands. Now you want to go WOT to get the rider out of the hole, however you don't want to SLAM the throttles. A smooth easy push forward will add power without being jerky. SMOOTH application of power. Once the rider is on top of the water, back off the throttles SLOWLY until you get back to the speed you want. Perfect Pass or RideSteady make this part so simple. Without those you are constantly adjusting the throttle to maintain speed. The better you are at maintaining a constant speed the faster the riders skillset will grow. For wakeboard/skate, drive in a straight line. Pick a point accross the lake and drive to it. The straighter the better, you want both wakes to be as even and consistent as possible if they are jumping/hopping/etc over them. Once the rider is down (by choice or by crash), quickly and smoothly make a turn and protect the rider from any other traffic in the area. Don't drive over the rope, and make a large circle back. When I'm down I usually hold the bold vertically in the air so I can be spotted easier by both the driver and any other traffic around.

I've been riding a wakeskate for about 10yrs now. As an experienced rider, I can tolerate a TON of variance in speed/direction/throttle application/etc. New riders will have less tolerance for variance. I've also found that just about anyone can drive the boat and I can ride behind it. Too much throttle too fast is the only thing that gets me, as my grip strength is lower now than it was a decade ago.

As to surfing vs skating on the water. I find the surfing pretty boring actually. The skate is far more entertaining, but significantly harder to come up on. It's the smallest board I've ridden in the water, and is VERY "squirrely" as I come up. Most that ride with me, or attempt to ride the skate can't get up because the thing is so unstable initially. If they can make it to standing on the board they all love it. The fun of a wakeboard without the bindings, and the soft crashes like a surfboard. No ballast required. The times I have surfed I came right up because a surfboard is SOOOOOOO ginormous compared to my little skate. It's like the difference between standing on a tailgate of a truck vs the top of a bar stool.

Google search tips for getting up on a wakeskate from deep water. It's the same concept for a surfboard, but easier.

The tower helps a TON, but I've only had one for about 18mo now. I used to do all of my watersports off a rear tow eye. It's definitely possible, just have to drink a little more lake water initially until you get the hang of it. The jets aren't as bad because of reduced bow rise (and subsequent stern drop) when getting on plane.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, people learn to wake surf on a wakeboard instead of a surf board? I have been wanting to try surfing but didn't want to invest that much money into a board without trying it first.
No. Wakeboard first, then try getting up on a wake surf. I could probably wake surf on a wake board if the wave was decent, but I've been on a wake board for over 20 years. You can have fun wake surfing on even tiny waves, but you'll need a rope. For me wake surfing is something you can try when it's too rough to wakeboard. There is no way I'll spend $$$$ and have bags all over to try and get a Yamaha to have a good wave. I'll have way more fun on a regular surf board and a regular ski rope. Been doing that for 20 years too!

RiverRatSx210

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Excellent info! Thanks a ton.

Wakeskating looks awesome by the way! We may get into that as well.