• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tired of bailing out the ski locker on my 195

Floyd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Impulse
Boat Length
It looks like the ski locker is lower than the bilge pump location that is just forward of the engine. After a rain there can be 4-6 inches of water in the locker while the engine compartment is still dry. If I bail out the locker and then go for a ride another 2-inches of water comes from somewhere and stays in the locker. I assume it's coming from between the top cap and the lower hull, so I put a suction hose down the drain at the rear of the locker but can only put it in a foot or less and there isn't any water there. I'm wondering how much more water is hidden somewhere?
I'm considering putting a small bilge pump into the ski locker with a temporary hose that I can hang overboard for de-watering.

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
According to my service manager, there are sub channels throughout the boat. I had my boat flushed twice after an engine rebuild. I had a soapy oil and water mixture in the ski locker and bilge. I had boat returned to service center and re-flushed and drained. He said do not put anything expensive in ski locker for a couple of trips on the water. Even though it’s been flushed and drained there will be a residual amount. Not happy about that because before all this trouble boat was dry in ski locker and bilge. Hopefully this is temporary. You may need to tilt boat on angle with drain plugs out

Gbd165

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It looks like the ski locker is lower than the bilge pump location that is just forward of the engine. After a rain there can be 4-6 inches of water in the locker while the engine compartment is still dry. If I bail out the locker and then go for a ride another 2-inches of water comes from somewhere and stays in the locker. I assume it's coming from between the top cap and the lower hull, so I put a suction hose down the drain at the rear of the locker but can only put it in a foot or less and there isn't any water there. I'm wondering how much more water is hidden somewhere?
I'm considering putting a small bilge pump into the ski locker with a temporary hose that I can hang overboard for de-watering.
I have the same problem in my 165ID. I'd be very interested in how you install the pump and how it works?

SCARAB_CDR

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I've had the same issue with my 195 - water that reappears in the ski locker after I thought I drained all of it out. I discovered that there's no natural drain in the anchor locker up forward. Water collects up there not just from anchor use, but also drains from the bow cupholders and any spray or waves over the bow leaking past the bow cushions. There's a pretty significant pocket up there with no designed method of drainage. When the boat bounces around, either on the water or over the road on the trailer, that water sloshes around and finds it's way into the ski locker. Now, when I wash the boat one of the last steps is to stick a shop-vac hose in that anchor locker to help ensure the boat will be dry when I get inspected at the ramp.

wango tango

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I Installed a seal (5/8") around top of ski locker , and a handle that when closed puts pressure on seal and keeps water out. Last put a small boat 3/4" drain plug. All purchases from Amazon less than $50 , keeps water out except for little water from anchor and things put back in locker wet.
I purchased a small 12volt shop, Stanley 1 gal.$30.
I left my boat uncovered and skilocker opened(my mistake)in a rain storm and locker filled up I pulled plug out let it drain and shop vacuum the rest.
I love this mod. Works great. Hope this can help you guys

Attachments

Last edited:

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Get the trailering (full hull cover $900) cover and you won't have that problem. I am assuming you are storing it outside...

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That is a strange design. What about a check valve to only allow water out of the locker and not in?

Nick Nguyen

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I am also having a water leak issue with my brand new 165 ID boat. To keep water from entering the ski locker, I use a rubber stopper bought at Home Depot for only $1.32 (Everbilt model #808248. Store SKU #755441).

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
According to my service manager, there are sub channels throughout the boat. I had my boat flushed twice after an engine rebuild. I had a soapy oil and water mixture in the ski locker and bilge. I had boat returned to service center and re-flushed and drained. He said do not put anything expensive in ski locker for a couple of trips on the water. Even though it’s been flushed and drained there will be a residual amount. Not happy about that because before all this trouble boat was dry in ski locker and bilge. Hopefully this is temporary. You may need to tilt boat on angle with drain plugs out
Update, 8/4/20 still have oily soapy fluid. Removing storm water from ski locker. Open drain on bottom of ski locker and fluid gushed in. Smelled rancid as well. I’m sure it’s residual chemicals from engine rebuild when cleaning after rebuild. Opened hatch above fuel tank, more rancid water, will attempt to maintain that area better.