• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

To prevent sucking up debris, slow or fast?

Scott Potter

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Just throwing this out there to get some opinions. I was out yesterday on the river and due to it being so early in the season, there was a lot of small sticks and debris on the water. I was able to avoid it all, but a thought crossed my mind. Which would be better at preventing debris from getting sucked up? Slowly gliding over stuff at say 5-12mph, or going fast, say 30+ mph?

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great question. I asked that same question to someone last year and they told me to go slow enough to allow the hull to displace the debris to the sides. I haven't tried it.

smashedheadcat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
That is a pretty interesting question. I think it's really a matter of finding some sort of balance. On one hand, with an elevated impeller rpm, it should be substantially more effective in passing debris through it when compared to just idling. The caveat is that an increase in impeller rpm will draw a substantial amount of additional water and with it, more debris. The more debris that gets in there, the more chances you have of something sticking. However, it may be mitigated by elevated impeller rpm. It's tough to say, and I would love to hear experiences of jet boat veterans.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
It is a question of a good number of things. Size of debris, on surface floating above, or just below surface, grass, wood, or other foreign stuff. And more than two schools of thought on it. If it is just some floating broken up wood, sure, go slow and let the hull push it out of the way. But at 50mph, it has to hit dead center in the intakes to get sucked in, and at that speed, there is a good chance that it can't make the turn into the jet intake and will just glance off and pass by. It is the high angle of attach, high rpm, turns and accelerations that will suck in the most. Over grass or weeds that are connected to the ground below the water, going fast has worked for me more than slow. But if there is sheared off grass/weeds floating, going slow will suck them up. Grass/weeds are not pushed aside as easy as wood debris either, and can literally go straight down the hull with some of the weed on one side of the keel, and some on the other, only to be fought over by the intakes when it gets there. Avoidance all together is the best option.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Maaan... Thanks for re-posting that @jcyamaharider - I missed that story.
Brings some painful memories of me getting stuck in muck in the old (not-dredged) part of beautiful Kaskaskia River, IL... But that's another story for another time.
Does anybody know if "TX-DJ" made his way to this forum? He's a legend!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The only times I've sucked something up it was going slow.

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Analyze it this way. If a 20' rope was floating on the water. Would you want to go over it fast or slow?

I would want to go fast. The slow vacuumed effect would be sure to suck up the rope.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think at speed is the best but have sucked up stuff both ways. Anything I have ever sucked up at speed though has been able to be cleared by the reverse trick though. The hull displacement effect at slow speeds is reduced on the twin engine boats as the pumps are moved to the outside of the boat but the single engine boats I bet it works fine since the pump is in the middle.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Analyze it this way. If a 20' rope was floating on the water. Would you want to go over it fast or slow?

I would want to go fast. The slow vacuumed effect would be sure to suck up the rope.
LOL - for sure!
The key word(s) in that example being "to go over it". If you must go over things - go fast for sure.
But if it is patches of small sticks and driftwood debris (what OP asked) found in rivers after heavy rain etc (the kind that's bobbing on the surface) - in my experience - it is best to go through it in full displacement mode.

__

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There is s third school of thought if going at speed and you see debris in front of you just before you get to it slam the throttles into reverse and preform a submarine move and then have your crew remove the debris from the inside of the boat. No digging in pumps to get anything out and usually the ladies love it.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Does anybody know if "TX-DJ" made his way to this forum? He's a legend!
I think TXdj sold his boat after the saga. Never again saw him in the place that shall remain nameless. And don't think he transitioned here with us. But he did give all of us a great education. I know exactly where he was stuck. I flew over it before he got it out. And I have watched the water recede a mile from there and then fill back full enough to encourage anyone to venture up that creek. That thread is a classic!

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think TXdj sold his boat after the saga. Never again saw him in the place that shall remain nameless. And don't think he transitioned here with us. But he did give all of us a great education. I know exactly where he was stuck. I flew over it before he got it out. And I have watched the water recede a mile from there and then fill back full enough to encourage anyone to venture up that creek. That thread is a classic!
Ok now I'm curious about what happened what would I need to search to find that

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes from that that thread I learned my boat is not a jetski And if I get it stuck I will be screwed.

Our family ( with the jet boat, fortunately going slow) did get stuck once on the rock river, after the fact I looked it up and it was an hold bridge pylon. I try to be so carefully now.

Another tip bit,
I use to go up to the Wisconsin dell's on the river and we would go 300' 500' did not matter thru 2-3" of water at 45mph. It was awesome. But I realized don't try it with the jet boat. We also use to go in the spring when it was flooded and be wandering speeding through the woods kinda like we were on dirt bikes, but we were on Sea doo wave- runnners. Upper dell's.to the first day. Again it was so cool.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
At Lake Cumberland i noticed that if i went slow all the sticks and such would get sucked right in and i couldn't go a quarter mile without having issues. If i went just onto plane i could go the whole day with no issues.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There is s third school of thought if going at speed and you see debris in front of you just before you get to it slam the throttles into reverse and preform a submarine move and then have your crew remove the debris from the inside of the boat. No digging in pumps to get anything out and usually the ladies love it.
I think @robert843 should write a short manual on handling our boats. He obviously knows his stuff.