• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

To trade or not to trade?

Murf51

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've currently got a 2012 tundra sr5 4x4 double cab I bought a few years ago used. It currently has 53k miles on it. I like be the truck, it pulls the sx210 with ease (until you find a grade). BUT the mpg sucks! Best average I can do is 15mpg (80%highway). When towing I struggle to get 9 mpg. We tow the boat 2-3 times a month and our usual spots are 30min.- 1 hour away. Also, everyone complains about how stiff the rear end is on the tundra. I have found a 2014 Sierra 1500 sle all-terrain with a 5.3l that has 10k more miles than mine. I've been looking at it and have figured I could trade my truck and at least keep my payments the same. Would it be worth trading my tundra that's in fantastic shape for a truck 2 years newer with a smaller motor but better mpg's?

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We've got 2 trucks a '11 Sierra 2500HD and a '12 Tundra Crewmax. We use the Duramax for most of the towing but have used the Tundra a few times. You're right on when it comes to towing. The millage is awful.

That being said... I came from an '05 Silverado SLT with the 5.3L. I can't say it'd be a direct comparison due to the fact it had a 4" lift and 33" tires, which I'm sure effected it's performance... with that setup it actually didn't do any better than the Tundra. In fact the Tundra actually does better around town... You might average 16-18 MPG in a stock Silverado

I think if I were in the market for a 1/2 ton I would look hard at 3 different trucks. 1) Silverado with the 6.2L option that has active fuel management and better torque. 2) Ford F-150 Eco Boost. Good V-6 millage and the turbo helps out making some compatible torque figures. 3) Ram 1500 Eco Diesel. I had a guy tell me he was getting over 30 Hwy MPG... honestly the Ram probably peaks my interest the most...

So, I guess in my opinion, however significant, is that besides the fact that its newer, there's not a whole lot of advantage.

Last edited:

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've currently got a 2012 tundra sr5 4x4 double cab I bought a few years ago used. It currently has 53k miles on it. I like be the truck, it pulls the sx210 with ease (until you find a grade). BUT the mpg sucks! Best average I can do is 15mpg (80%highway). When towing I struggle to get 9 mpg. We tow the boat 2-3 times a month and our usual spots are 30min.- 1 hour away. Also, everyone complains about how stiff the rear end is on the tundra. I have found a 2014 Sierra 1500 sle all-terrain with a 5.3l that has 10k more miles than mine. I've been looking at it and have figured I could trade my truck and at least keep my payments the same. Would it be worth trading my tundra that's in fantastic shape for a truck 2 years newer with a smaller motor but better mpg's?
I have had both trucks and currently have a 17 f150 eco and traded a 15 eco in. I really liked my 14 tundra the most. I would have purchased a new one but they changed the cab. The tundra and few econ was not much worse than my 2 eco s. My 17 with the 10 speed is better but I really miss my tundra.

My 1500 that I had didn't pull my boat but did well with our old i/o that was heavy.

Murf51

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks guys, I'm thinking I may hold out and see how the new diesel in the f150 does. @J-RAD the ecodiesel also has my interest.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

I run the numbers for you but I have done this type of calculations many many times. The savings in mpg does NOT justify the money needed for an upgrade. The mpg argument is either an excuse or make you feel better.

FYI: we have a Prius and we need to put over 80,000 miles to break even on the hybrid premium over a Honda Civic . Needless to say prius gets about 25% better mpg than the civic.

malibu Dan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Just about paid off.. thought about trading her in but honestly she does everything I ask of her and very comfortable to drive around...Honestly don't see a lot of other trucks as good looking..;)IMG_0600.JPG

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I run the numbers for you but I have done this type of calculations many many times. The savings in mpg does NOT justify the money needed for an upgrade. The mpg argument is either an excuse or make you feel better.

FYI: we have a Prius and we need to put over 80,000 miles to break even on the hybrid premium over a Honda Civic . Needless to say prius gets about 25% better mpg than the civic.
This times eleventy bajillion.....The payback on something with better mileage is usually longer than most people own it. I've recently done the math on moving from an 13mpg running average to a 23mpg running average. Assuming 15k miles a year, its about $125/mo "savings"......But I would have to move from a $250/mo payment for 48mo remaining to a $500/mo payment for 90 mo.......check the total cost of ownership numbers there. Totally NOT worth the move.

But boy I wanted that Diesel jeep bad at the time, and was looking for any excuse I could.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Actually, that's an important part of the calculation most forget. Resale is considerably higher as well and every time I've done the math, it didn't make sense *not* to buy a diesel (assuming an upgrade was in the plans no matter what)

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Actually, that's an important part of the calculation most forget. Resale is considerably higher as well and every time I've done the math, it didn't make sense *not* to buy a diesel (assuming an upgrade was in the plans no matter what)
If buying new anyway......Sure get the diesel. If buying JUST to chase mpg, it rarely works out.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Ecodiesel....

I never exceed 3000rpm towing. Quiet cab, get 16~18mpg towing my SX240 (5000lbs)

love it!

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That is because you drive you like a grandpa.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
ok i rephrase... i never 'HAVE' to exceed 3000rpm :)