• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Todays 6am wakesurf in suboptimal conditions, still ropeless though

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
255xd
stock ballast 100 100 35 (surfside) 500lb water on transom, 300lb water on back seat. both surfside.
7 people on board, 2 up front, 2 on surfside, 1 middle back, 1 passenger helm. Im driving. My buddy is 225lbs 5' 9" hyperlite landlock. Speed 9.6mph. Any faster the wave got longer but lost what little push it had.

Water depth ONLY 7ft. I KNOW I KNOW i need deeper water. Best we have is 12ft out in the bay but it was already chopped up with a 7mph wind. Going to get out in the bay one morning when its glass to see how 5ft extra will fare. Still ropeless, which i thought would never happen. Everyone had fun thats all that matters until i get that good water!

Bad part about today, the cruise control is still pissing me off how useless it is. had to set to 12.6 to get 9.5ish mph and it was hunting at times pulsing the throttle. Its not a very good control scheme.

Had boat off while we filled bags and positioned. Starboard engine decided to not start, just crank. Finally got it fired off after about 10 min of trying. Wonder if dunking the transom deep while engine off caused something?

Mesa50

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Spartanburg, South Carolina Lake Hartwell/Keowee
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XE
Boat Length
There’s a well known hard to start when hot issue on the 1.8L engines. It doesn’t happen if you idle around at less than 5 mph or so for a couple of minutes before shutting down. Also run the blower for a few minutes before shutting down. My wife reminds me now, because she gets nervous if I shut down right after running at speed, that it will “sputter start” as she calls it.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Judging from that video @Wicked92 I would say you have a very good wave. I hope you get that speed control dialed in.

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Judging from that video @Wicked92 I would say you have a very good wave. I hope you get that speed control dialed in.
the wave looks good for the depth, but it def has no energy. We are trying again in the morning and source 10-12ft water out in the bay if it stays calm enough.

The speed control i dont think theres anything i can do on my end other than play the game trying to hold a speed. Its alot of guess work everytime we are out because weight of boat is different etc. I just wish if you put a speed in it would at least hold somewhere with in .5mph, shit ill even take 1mph, and ill fine tune with the cruise assist from there. But 2 to 3mph off is not acceptable. We are using the system like its intended or how "yamaha marketed it"

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
the wave looks good for the depth, but it def has no energy. We are trying again in the morning and source 10-12ft water out in the bay if it stays calm enough.

The speed control i dont think theres anything i can do on my end other than play the game trying to hold a speed. Its alot of guess work everytime we are out because weight of boat is different etc. I just wish if you put a speed in it would at least hold somewhere with in .5mph, shit ill even take 1mph, and ill fine tune with the cruise assist from there. But 2 to 3mph off is not acceptable. We are using the system like its intended or how "yamaha marketed it"
I admit I know nothing about surfing, but isn't that kind of fast for surfing? Most surf videos I've watched the boat seems to be moving slower. Like I said, I wouldn't know, just an observation.

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
we are only going 9.6mph The issue is we need to set to 12.6 in hopes of reaching 9.6 and thats no guarantee. If i set the speed control to 9.6, it doesnt even get the wave to form and sits in mush at around 7mph.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
255xd
stock ballast 100 100 35 (surfside) 500lb water on transom, 300lb water on back seat. both surfside.
7 people on board, 2 up front, 2 on surfside, 1 middle back, 1 passenger helm. Im driving. My buddy is 225lbs 5' 9" hyperlite landlock. Speed 9.6mph. Any faster the wave got longer but lost what little push it had.

Water depth ONLY 7ft. I KNOW I KNOW i need deeper water. Best we have is 12ft out in the bay but it was already chopped up with a 7mph wind. Going to get out in the bay one morning when its glass to see how 5ft extra will fare. Still ropeless, which i thought would never happen. Everyone had fun thats all that matters until i get that good water!

Bad part about today, the cruise control is still pissing me off how useless it is. had to set to 12.6 to get 9.5ish mph and it was hunting at times pulsing the throttle. Its not a very good control scheme.

Had boat off while we filled bags and positioned. Starboard engine decided to not start, just crank. Finally got it fired off after about 10 min of trying. Wonder if dunking the transom deep while engine off caused something?

Not too bad, actually, given shallow water; if only it was just a straight factory setup - I would say - great. But you still have a transom bag added, correct?

As far as hard start of the surf side engine, I would echo the above - high idle before turning in off, for at least a few seconds, helps and making sure the throttle binnacle is exactly in neutral when the engine is turned off seems to help as well, for whatever reason. If nothing else helps, re-starting the surf-side while plowing in "semi-plane" with the other engine can help, too. It appears to be a combination of whatever/heat/vapor/backpressure lock that gets them.

Kind of funny how the Gantlin wake wedge plus their transom bag plus the @Ridesteady controller still appears to rule... appears to beat the Yamaha's newest offering.
There are so many things to like about those 255XDs!
Yet, as long as I can get a comparable, or better, wake w/ a 10 min setup behind my (customized) 2016 AR240 it's hard to justify a trade.

--

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
i dont have my fatsac yet from gantlin, so right now im using a 500lb and a 300 right above it on surfside transom. The built in ballast also.

Granted i wish i could see a comparo to a boat thats already dialed in and shove it in 7ft of water to see what happens. Am i just 15ft of water depth away from a great wave? I think so, but im with you on the trade up. If i already had a simplistic setup dialed in i prob would not be selling to get into one of these newer boats that easily. Sometimes the "kiss" theory applies no matter how many extra bells and whistles you got.

I think the wakeboost is doing it job, from the back of the boat you can def see its doing what it needs to be doing. I still think there needs to be more jetwash management, which i wish a wake wedge or similar idea could be compounded on the boat.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
There’s a well known hard to start when hot issue on the 1.8L engines. It doesn’t happen if you idle around at less than 5 mph or so for a couple of minutes before shutting down. Also run the blower for a few minutes before shutting down. My wife reminds me now, because she gets nervous if I shut down right after running at speed, that it will “sputter start” as she calls it.
This is correct and the be had to deal with that all last year and the beginning of this UNTIL I changed my spark plugs. Haven’t had a hard start since.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
i dont have my fatsac yet from gantlin, so right now im using a 500lb and a 300 right above it on surfside transom. The built in ballast also.

Granted i wish i could see a comparo to a boat thats already dialed in and shove it in 7ft of water to see what happens. Am i just 15ft of water depth away from a great wave? I think so, but im with you on the trade up. If i already had a simplistic setup dialed in i prob would not be selling to get into one of these newer boats that easily. Sometimes the "kiss" theory applies no matter how many extra bells and whistles you got.

I think the wakeboost is doing it job, from the back of the boat you can def see its doing what it needs to be doing. I still think there needs to be more jetwash management, which i wish a wake wedge or similar idea could be compounded on the boat.
You need more depth and that wave will curl and push.

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
This is correct and the be had to deal with that all last year and the beginning of this UNTIL I changed my spark plugs. Haven’t had a hard start since.
what plugs did you go with?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
i was thinking of doing the plugs when i did my 10hr service and greasing the intermediate, but i was like....ah they will be fine lol. Now i got almost 40hrs on the boat.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
i was thinking of doing the plugs when i did my 10hr service and greasing the intermediate, but i was like....ah they will be fine lol. Now i got almost 40hrs on the boat.
I did my plugs after 80 hours, wish I would have done them sooner!

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Whenever I start having hard start issues I change the plugs and gap them spot on to the lowest end of the allowable range to get hotter spark. First time was right around 15 hours. Swapped them, and it went away for the most part. Or at least wasn't as bad and a lot more random. It popped up recently at 50 hours-ish, and swapped them again. Haven't been out since I changed them though.