• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Too Much WOT?

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I wanted to get peoples opion on this and any possible risks.

I like going WOT..all the time...except in no wake areas or when there are big waves...I love the feeling of going fast on the water. Sometimes common sense says that is not the best as it may put excessive wear on the engine and I slow down.

What does everyone else do? Are you WOT or sometime just cruise?

I very rarely go WOT and when I do it's for short periods of time. I'd say you're putting a lot of stress on your engines doing it the entire time. Although I don't think you're going to hurt your engines tomorrow, I'd think you're definitely shortening the times before you're going to need an overhaul. If you were to sell your boat, your boat is exactly something I'd want to avoid purchasing.

I very rarely go WOT and when I do it's for short periods of time. I'd say you're putting a lot of stress on your engines doing it the entire time. Although I don't think you're going to hurt your engines tomorrow, I'd think you're definitely shortening the times before you're going to need an overhaul. If you were to sell your boat, your boat is exactly something I'd want to avoid purchasing.
Good to know, I only have 12 hours on the boat and probably 8 are high speeds. Guess I should slow it down...DAMN...

I rarely ever hit WOT! I'll do it on occassion here and there only when I find flat water, but very rare! Wife starts yelling at me north of 30mph and she's freaking out north of 40mph. White knuckles north of 50mph. ;)

I'll cruise somewhere bewtween 25-30 - it's calmer, smoother, more relaxed - and I'm not really in any hurry anyways. Besides - I'll spill my beer at WOT! :rolleyes:

I wanted to get peoples opion on this and any possible risks.

I like going WOT..all the time...except in no wake areas or when there are big waves...I love the feeling of going fast on the water. Sometimes common sense says that is not the best as it may put excessive wear on the engine and I slow down.

What does everyone else do? Are you WOT or sometime just cruise?
Same here. My boat is a toy not a trophy. I tend to ride it like I stole it at times. But there are times when cruising is the way to go. Jet boats are known for high speed maneuverability,right? Most of the guys I boat with have go fast boats so I'm always trying to keep up. So WOT for me a lot.

I wouldn't push it at wide open all the time....here are the numbers from my engine after I'd put 132 hours on her:

Engine speed Time[h]
- 2000 r/min 30.67
2000 - 4000 r/min 53.97
4000 - 6000 r/min 7.4
6000 - 8000 r/min 27.82
8000 - 10000 r/min 11.2
10000 - 12000 r/min 0.99

Total hours of operation 132

As you can see....not quite an hour of flat out full throttle! Keep in mind that this info can be read from your engines too with a YDS cable. You'll be surprised that I bet you don't have anywhere near 8 hours out of 12 WOT.

I don't go wot to much only because I keep thinking of the gas I'm burning and only if it's super smooth,

Let's just say 600 hours your engines might need to be rebuilt which is just a guess since many MR1's go into the the thousand range and many never get a chance to get used much. I beleive you have a 1.8 which I don't remember seeing any high hour counts yet since they are still newer. plus these engines are in jetski's which really get abused,

How long are you going to own your boat for?
less than 600 hours, then don't worry about it, it will be someone else's rebuild,
more than 600 hours, then you were going to rebuild it anyways, this year, two years from now, enjoy it how you want to, not with regrets

WOT not only puts more wear and stress on the engines but also on the hull. @Zeus2013 you're probably operating mostly on lakes so the hull won't take as much of a beating as the lakes are generally calmer than the ocean but any buyer will want to interrogate the hours and a lot of WOT will tell the tale of how the boat was used. I have the need for speed also but my wife threatens to spill her RED wine if I go too fast. :(

Every once in awhile, especially early mornings on flat water, Iwill run WOT but not for very long...say 10 minute inervals...if that. Most of it is just cruising speeds.

Like Jim WOT sometimes . Mostly run in the 7500-8000 range. 256 hrs on it so far. I'd better stop using the boat I guess..not.. @Julian maybe I get to use your YDS some time if we ever hook up. Would like to see true numbers.

Good info guys. I guess I better lighten up on the throttle and get one of those YDS cables

Go for it!

If you can justify the extra fuel I wouldn't worry about the mechanics, jet skis run at high revs all the time. I have an FZR, which is the same engine but with a SC, and that's pretty much in the 7 to 8k rev range all the time, with 98 hours on it.

look at the mr1 vx waverunners. The rental places use them and people hammer them all day long and they are still getting 1500-2000 hours

I used to be WOT all the time with my first jet boat. After selling it and getting this boat I realized I never really enjoyed my time on the water because all I did was WOT back and forth. Also, I was younger than I am now. Now, I enjoy a nice cruise at about 30 - 40mph and then finding a nice spot to drop anchor and chill. I live a "rat race" five, sometimes six days a week and time on the water with my family is the last place I want to keep that pace up.

This is what I got from the YDS last fall.

- 2000 r/min 23.87
2000 - 4000 r/min 49.97
4000 - 6000 r/min 28.34
6000 - 8000 r/min 1.78

My total hours are 103.96

I used to be WOT all the time with my first jet boat. After selling it and getting this boat I realized I never really enjoyed my time on the water because all I did was WOT back and forth. Also, I was younger than I am now. Now, I enjoy a nice cruise at about 30 - 40mph and then finding a nice spot to drop anchor and chill. I live a "rat race" five, sometimes six days a week and time on the water with my family is the last place I want to keep that pace up.
Besides, you use too much gas and spill too much beer at WOT.

Contrary to my name and posting trend, I really don't go WOT much. Not due to my lack of desire for sure. It's because I always have little kids! Last year, I had a 3 and 1 year old, this year, 4, 2, and 3 month old!
Makes for very few WOT runs across the lake. Long ways my lake is only like 3 miles, so it doesn't take long anyways.
When we had the Exciter, it was an almost never unless I dumped them at the friend's dock just to do it. Those boats are fast (mine was all fancy and I got it to 65 mph gps) but can't handle a wave without throwing you from the boat.

Ok

I'm gonna ask a question

What does our torque #s look like at wot VS when the boat is going from rest to on plane?

I would argue more wear and tear going from rest to plane (plowing) than cruising WOT. Maintaining plane at wot would require less work from the engine??

Note I also think Cruising at lower rpm and maintaining plane requires less work than wot rpm given fuel burn but it's not as much work as accelerating.

Thoughts?

Back