• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Top loader intake grates for Yamaha boats

Rodney Findley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm not sure if this has been discussed on any other threads but I was curious about the interchanging of intake grates from the PWCs? Some have said that the boats are different because the intake system is angled on the "V"
but yet the engines sit flat in the boat? I would find it hard to think that they would make a special intake for these boats when perhaps one from a VXR could be used?

I have not had the opportunity to put them side by side to compare. But I am curious just how much of the parts and components really do carry over from a ski to a boat?

Rodney Findley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I did go back and see on a OE parts listings site the the loader is the same but it does use a port and starboard side "screen". This is a 2-piece component looks like opposed to that of the VXR which is a single piece
(p/n 6EX-R1333-00-00).

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I actually build special intake grates to prevent weeds from clogging the pump, You can use your stock intake and weld in the parts you need to do the job Mine also provide top loading of the pump, but the main purpose is to defeat weed ingestion.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
They are angled opposite of each other. I don't believe there is enough benefit to the boats however it could help even the rpms from side to side. I thought something that bolted onto oem parts would be nice but it was not on my priority list.

Rodney Findley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would like to see yours, that is very cool that you have developed something to prevent ingestion! Price?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I do not sell them, I only build them for my own use , unfortunately I never reveal the design to anyone , Sorry. It's all about intellectual property.

Last edited:

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Why dont you patent the design and sell as a kit? If it can prevent weed injestion I will be very interested.

Best
Amar

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

When I purchased my jet boat I could not believe the deal I got until I drove it and instantly hated the thing .
I was disappointed with the boat to where I was actually feeling a pain in the pit of my stomach when I first drove it I kept saying what the hell did I do.
I suddenly realized why the jet boating industry was a weak market and why people were practically giving them away used.
None of that really mattered to me at the time, I just knew I was going to fix the problem for myself, and I did, quite nicely I might add.
The more I used this jet boat with my steering on it the more I absolutely loved it.
This was at a time in our history when the 9-11 attack on the twin towers occurred and the economy fell through the floor, my individual retirement account crashed and I refused to even look at my monthly statements, it was both alarming and depressing.
But each time I drove that jet boat I fell in love with how much fun it was now that is would steer like I wanted it to. And I believed in it .
With that happening and my retirement being destroyed in a flash I believed in my steering so much that I decided that if I ran with it and patented it people would want it and the boat manufacturers would jump on it. I had no idea that the words JET BOAT made investors run for cover like cockroaches.
I invested what money I had available in patenting this money that I could not afford to loose. I was a babe in the woods and lessons were expensive, it cost me a lot of money to get the first patents. But I got them on my own.
Then I found out that the jet boat industry was falling flat possible investors called it a seriously declining market ,manufacturers were bailing out of the jet boat market. No one was interested in marketing this. So I did it myself with no clue of what I needed to do . I was actually contacted by people on Yamaha jetboaters .com and asked by several people to design steering for the Yamaha boats.
At first I declined due to the odd nozzle design but I finally did a very simple set of fins and people loved them.
The designs progressed from there. There are currently over 9000 Yamaha jet boats with one style or another of my steering systems and people still love them.
When I was first asked to fix the cleanout plug issue with a simple and inexpensive device, I did it with the EZ lock and It was and still is a very strong selling item even if Yamaha finally changed the cleanout plugs.
When I had issues with my jet boat in our water loaded with weeds I came up with a maneuver I call the reverse move it's pretty well known now even if people don't know who originally came up with it
. The point is that when something needs to be fixed and I set my sights on fixing the problem I usually prevail.
With the weed in the intake issue I did the same thing for my own use, I never did it for anyone else because I just don't have the time to be dealing with all the things people want done.
I have a ton of time and money invested in my latest patent application and it's a big one so I'm preoccupied with all that, to make things worse I'm going to be 65 in a few months and this all keeps me very busy.
I would really like to look at retiring and enjoying my last years without all the stress.
So if someone who I consider to be honest and straight forward wants team up with me on this and basically take the reins on the intake grate design let me know, after all my track record is pretty damn good so far .

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Love your post. One alternate suggestion is crowdsourcing this idea so that you have commited Jetboater's who want to use it.

And there won't be any risk in you using your funds

Zonie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a couple of your inventions on my boat Jeff. Can't wait to see what the new patent is for!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

When I purchased my jet boat I could not believe the deal I got until I drove it and instantly hated the thing .
I was disappointed with the boat to where I was actually feeling a pain in the pit of my stomach when I first drove it I kept saying what the hell did I do.
I suddenly realized why the jet boating industry was a weak market and why people were practically giving them away used.
None of that really mattered to me at the time, I just knew I was going to fix the problem for myself, and I did, quite nicely I might add.
The more I used this jet boat with my steering on it the more I absolutely loved it.
This was at a time in our history when the 9-11 attack on the twin towers occurred and the economy fell through the floor, my individual retirement account crashed and I refused to even look at my monthly statements, it was both alarming and depressing.
But each time I drove that jet boat I fell in love with how much fun it was now that is would steer like I wanted it to. And I believed in it .
With that happening and my retirement being destroyed in a flash I believed in my steering so much that I decided that if I ran with it and patented it people would want it and the boat manufacturers would jump on it. I had no idea that the words JET BOAT made investors run for cover like cockroaches.
I invested what money I had available in patenting this money that I could not afford to loose. I was a babe in the woods and lessons were expensive, it cost me a lot of money to get the first patents. But I got them on my own.
Then I found out that the jet boat industry was falling flat possible investors called it a seriously declining market ,manufacturers were bailing out of the jet boat market. No one was interested in marketing this. So I did it myself with no clue of what I needed to do . I was actually contacted by people on Yamaha jetboaters .com and asked by several people to design steering for the Yamaha boats.
At first I declined due to the odd nozzle design but I finally did a very simple set of fins and people loved them.
The designs progressed from there. There are currently over 9000 Yamaha jet boats with one style or another of my steering systems and people still love them.
When I was first asked to fix the cleanout plug issue with a simple and inexpensive device, I did it with the EZ lock and It was and still is a very strong selling item even if Yamaha finally changed the cleanout plugs.
When I had issues with my jet boat in our water loaded with weeds I came up with a maneuver I call the reverse move it's pretty well known now even if people don't know who originally came up with it
. The point is that when something needs to be fixed and I set my sights on fixing the problem I usually prevail.
With the weed in the intake issue I did the same thing for my own use, I never did it for anyone else because I just don't have the time to be dealing with all the things people want done.
I have a ton of time and money invested in my latest patent application and it's a big one so I'm preoccupied with all that, to make things worse I'm going to be 65 in a few months and this all keeps me very busy.
I would really like to look at retiring and enjoying my last years without all the stress.
So if someone who I consider to be honest and straight forward wants team up with me on this and basically take the reins on the intake grate design let me know, after all my track record is pretty damn good so far .
Hah! Very interesting, Jeff - love it.
I did not know you came up with the reverse maneuver, go figure. Really interesting.

--

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Well it's a thing some people have a difficult time with called logic. It was just that. If you want weeds out of the intake without having to pull them out by hand , just go backward, turn off the force that is holding them in place "the engine" and open the reverse gate so water will back flush through the pump and push the weeds out the way they came in. When you see the weeds floating out from under the boat you se that it worked, start the engine and be on your way. JUST LOGIC!