• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Top Speed <AR192>

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I went out yesterday for the 1st time on a 2014 Yamaha AR195 and I was expecting 45+ mph.

2014 Yamaha AR192
Outside Air 60F
Water Temp 49F
full tank of gas
2 persons approximately 370lb
heavy subwoofer 70lb
Top speed: 41mph via gps

The previous owner had replaced the impeller because the dealer said it needed it at service time. I'm aware of the intercooler problems, but i'm expecting the cold weather to negate that. Does the weight have a large impact? Thanks!

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
You may be off a couple mphs but with the added weight it sounds about right. What's your WOT rpms? Any mods to the engine that you're aware of? There's a bunch you can do to get you up to 48. My 2015 SX192 hit 48 but was sensitive to water conditions, temp and weight inside the boat. Search for mods to help you achieve max performance.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
You may be off a couple mphs but with the added weight it sounds about right. What's your WOT rpms? Any mods to the engine that you're aware of? There's a bunch you can do to get you up to 48. My 2015 SX192 hit 48 but was sensitive to water conditions, temp and weight inside the boat. Search for mods to help you achieve max performance.
I'll have to look at the RPM next time. I'm not going to worry if the mph is about right. I'm already planning to do the intercooler mod and find a cheap SVHO intercooler. Thanks for the quick reply.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
At rest, you want the RPMs to jump straight to 7800 at WOT. That needs to be your objective IMO. Check out my signature below. That's what I did to my 192. Good luck!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I went out yesterday for the 1st time on a 2014 Yamaha AR195 and I was expecting 45+ mph.

2014 Yamaha AR192
Outside Air 60F
Water Temp 49F
full tank of gas
2 persons approximately 370lb
heavy subwoofer 70lb
Top speed: 41mph via gps

The previous owner had replaced the impeller because the dealer said it needed it at service time. I'm aware of the intercooler problems, but i'm expecting the cold weather to negate that. Does the weight have a large impact? Thanks!
The intercooler will help with heat soak but not top speed. Getting the RPM at the top range at WOT is the key, you want to be as close to 7800 rev limiter as you can. I would look at that impeller and the tunnel for any gaps again, make sure it’s in perfect tip-top shape.
Also the boat is not 195 right? So this is a 155 mm pump.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The intercooler will help with heat soak but not top speed. Getting the RPM at the top range at WOT is the key, you want to be as close to 7800 rev limiter as you can. I would look at that impeller and the tunnel for any gaps again, make sure it’s in perfect tip-top shape.
Also the boat is not 195 right? So this is a 155 mm pump.

It's a 192. The 195 has a bigger pump? I went again today, 40mph at 7100 rpm all day. I'll check that the pump has a good seal because the dealer removed the pump to change the impeller.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
It's a 192. The 195 has a bigger pump? I went again today, 40mph at 7100 rpm all day. I'll check that the pump has a good seal because the dealer removed the pump to change the impeller.
Ribbon delete and SVHO intercooler will help get you to 7800.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
7100 RPM and 41 mph are exactly heat soak numbers and yes you can get it in those temps. Heat soak will most certainly affect top speed since the revs tank by 400-500 RPM!!

Here's what stock heat soak looks like and notice the gauges. Look familiar?

image.jpeg

This is with SVHO intercooler and ribbon delete. Held these numbers all day long even in the hot and humid south. 7500 RPM and 49 mph (gauge indicated)...

image.jpeg

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What I meant was:
heat soak will NOT affect the absolute top speed right out of the gate.
It will affect the ability to maintain top speed during WOT runs.
If the boat does 41mph before heat soak, it will not go any faster (momentarily) with a bigger intercooler.

I would absolutely upgrade the intercooler but it does not seem to be the only thing limiting the top speed here...
The RPM are way too low. I would bet money it is the impeller's pitch, too agressive.

--

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
What I meant was:
heat soak will NOT affect the absolute top speed right out of the gate.
It will affect the ability to maintain top speed during WOT runs.
If the boat does 41mph before heat soak, it will not go any faster (momentarily) with a bigger intercooler.

I would absolutely upgrade the intercooler but it does not seem to be the only thing limiting the top speed here...
The RPM are way too low. I would bet money it is the impeller's pitch, too agressive.

--
How long until heat soak makes an impact? I spend like 5 minutes in a no wake zone before doing a top speed run.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It only takes a few minutes of runs and you’ll notice the diffferences in power. It’s all through the rev range not just WOT. It’s most noticeable at WOT though because the boat will feel a little sluggish and you’ll natureally hammer her down to wring the most out of it. I’d love to see someone do a test of 5 mph increments after planing speeds and pay attention to what the RPMs are and I wouldn’t be surprised to see the same drop off along the rev range. Not only can you feel it you can hear the motor running less RPM than earlier when you first pull away from the dock.

Even in cooler waters I bet you the pisser is hot as hell for the stock intercooler. That’s how mine was. If it’s anything more than luke warm it’s going to have heat soak. It’s just too small of an intercooler for even the PWC weight, much less a heavier boat. It’s too inefficient. The larger intercoolers you go with will give you more headroom. Fizzle is the best IMO and what most of the high performance PWC guys run. It’s pricey but probably worth it especially if you want to make more power later on like @SamCF awesome SX192. If you just want to help cure the heat soak at a minimum you’ll need the SVHO intercooler. I went with that because it was OE and a drop in application.

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How long until heat soak makes an impact? I spend like 5 minutes in a no wake zone before doing a top speed run.
Don’t get me wrong, the intercooler swap and ribbon delete would be the top of the list of things to do for me. Heat soak is real and every single SHO in a ski or boat will benefit from an intercooler upgrade, no doubt about that, there is a virtual consensus about it - based on info from 192 boats and ski racing world.

However, I do not think you’ll go from 41mph to 49mph in an instant by doing the intercooler swap, given moderate weather and short no wake idle. There is something else that limits your revs and top speed it seems to me. The most obvious is the boat is “overpropped”. If it’s a Solas aftermarket impeller - probably best to send out, if OEM - you can easily make minor adjustments to the trailing edge yourself, to drop the pitch and gain RPM.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@swatski with all due respect, these boats will for sure drop performance that bad with stock intercooler, impeller, everything within minutes of leaving the dock. I know it’s hard to believe but trust me it’s real unfortunately for the 192 guys. I’ve done plenty of top speed and overall performance monitoring on my AR192. What the OP is describing is exactly how it was for me and many others that had the same heat soak issue. RPM tanks to 7100-7200 and the speed drops to 40-43 mph (if you’re lucky on the high side).

Yes simply swapping out the intercooler will fix it. This member was the only one I can think of that did not see any improvement but for everyone else it seems to solve the issue, even better if you can splurge the extra $ for a larger Fizzle or similar aftermarket intercooler.

The ribbon delete gave me more throttle response than anything else. When coupled with the instant hit of the supercharger this may or may not be desirable, especially if towing or doing water sports because it can make the horrible sloppy throw of the Yamaha throttle very hard to judge how much power is going to be applied and you end up tiring out your rider behind the boat. My wife hates driving the boat because she felt the throttle was too twitchy but for me I was able to adjust fine after the ribbon delete and liked the improved throttle response and probably helped make my top speed more consistent. Ridesteady is a must if someone does a lot of watersports on these boats IMO.

Last edited:

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@swatski with all due respect, these boats will for sure drop performance that bad with stock intercooler, impeller, everything within minutes of leaving the dock. I know it’s hard to believe but trust me it’s real unfortunately for the 192 guys. I’ve done plenty of top speed and overall performance monitoring on my AR192. What the OP is describing is exactly how it was for me and many others that had the same heat soak issue. RPM tanks to 7100-7200 and the speed drops to 40-43 mph (if you’re lucky on the high side).

Yes simply swapping out the intercooler will fix it. This member was the only one I can think of that did not see any improvement but for everyone else it seems to solve the issue, even better if you can splurge the extra $ for a larger Fizzle or similar aftermarket intercooler.

The ribbon delete gave me more throttle response than anything else. When coupled with the instant hit of the supercharger this may or may not be desirable, especially if towing or doing water sports because it can make the horrible sloppy throw of the Yamaha throttle very hard to judge how much power is going to be applied and you end up tiring out your rider behind the boat. My wife hates driving the boat because she felt the throttle was too twitchy but for me I was able to adjust fine after the ribbon delete and liked the improved throttle response and probably helped make my top speed more consistent. Ridesteady is a must if someone does a lot of watersports on these boats IMO.
I found an intercooler local to me for $150. I'm going to order the ribbon delete sleeve and do it all on Saturday morning. For less then $200 its worth the try.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I found an intercooler local to me for $150. I'm going to order the ribbon delete sleeve and do it all on Saturday morning. For less then $200 its worth the try.
My 0.2 cents - When I removed the ribbon, I just took everything out including the rubber piece the ribbon is attached to. Don't leave that in there without anything (as it will get sucked into the motor). All worked fine. The whole idea is to get more airflow; to help the engine breathe easier.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That sounds like a deal, if it's all there.

However, if you are not hitting 7,800 RPM in the first few minutes right now, I would say there is something else limiting. Heat soak is just that, heat soak.

--

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My 0.2 cents - When I removed the ribbon, I just took everything out including the rubber piece the ribbon is attached to. Don't leave that in there without anything (as it will get sucked into the motor). All worked fine. The whole idea is to get more airflow; to help the engine breathe easier.
Do you think the riva sleeve is a waste? I was thinking to just remove everything. I'm not trying to win races here, just get everything as economical as possible.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
That sounds like a deal, if it's all there.

However, if you are not hitting 7,800 RPM in the first few minutes right now, I would say there is something else limiting. Heat soak is just that, heat soak.

--
I'm inclined to agree with you. I did feel the pissers at a few times and it was never hot. But I can probably change that intercooler out in 30 minutes (im a former auto mechanic) it's probably going to get changed regardless..

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Do you think the riva sleeve is a waste? I was thinking to just remove everything. I'm not trying to win races here, just get everything as economical as possible.
Mine worked fine without it. Try it first without, you can always add it should it cause a problem. Make sure to keep the parts and do NOT leave the boot in there.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yea I’m not sure I’d spend the money for the Riva sleeve. I bought it for my boat but looking back I would have spent the money elsewhere. Just don’t leave the boot in there!