• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tough decision

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My work truck is at 197k miles and starting to act up. Luckily my wife has a 2013 f150 5.0.

I was going to turn that into my work truck and get her something else.

She likes the
grand cherokees (v8)
Suburban
Expedition EL

Will those all be fine towing our 2006 sx230? Would you stay away from one because it get to close to the max tow weight?

Might up and get her new truck or me new truck if price is right (saw 2018 rams are 30% off?)

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
What is the weight of your boat? I think the Jeep might be pushing it, depending on model. Newer 5.7s are 6000ish but I believe the SRT is closer to 7,000 if you want to race to the boat ramp lol. Also can't beat the deals on leftover Ram's right now. New model just came out and can catch a killer deal on the '18s. I have seen a few sticker for 61 listed for 43.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They will all work, but the Jeep is the least ideal from a towing standpoint.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for input her main thing was it has to tow the boat... I might cross the jeep off just because the weight to max tow ratio.

I am not sure the weight of it but loaded with gear on trailer I'd say between 4000-5000

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Jeep product is very high maintenance for sure compared to your other options. I would stay away. Have you considered Sequoia or Armada also? Best of luck.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Jeep product is very high maintenance for sure compared to your other options. I would stay away. Have you considered Sequoia or Armada also? Best of luck.
I am curious why you say high maintenance? I have two newer Chrysler products and all I do is change the oil and get the tires rotated. Most newer ones don't even need a spark plug change until 100k. My buddy has a GC with 100k and only thing he has had to do is replace the radiator, which cracked somehow, but still was only about $400 total.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My personal experience with chrysler products with 2 older Grand cherokees was repairs every 10,000 miles. On two vehicles. Ending with transmission work on both at 80k and 90k miles.

This was 2002 and 2003 models. Maybe long time ago and things are different now?

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Yeah those model years suck lol. I am referring to anything more in the VVT Hemi or Pentastar era.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Once bitten by the snake, afraid of the garden hose.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’d go with the expedition, my ford vehicles have never given me any problems. I can’t say the same for my Jeep Grand Cherokee or Chevy Avalanche. If the Jeep is limited to 5k or 6k lbs towing I would stay away from it, your boat weighs around 3,500 lbs it’s easy to reach 5k to 6k once you start accounting for the trailer, fuel, passengers and gear.

Shuck Water

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Always like to give a nod towards the Durango. No issues pulling with the V8 R/T. Also, over 4 years old and 60k miles and no issues. Still purring like a kitten!

durango.jpg

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Worth noting, the Expedition EL and Suburban have wheelbases about 16" longer than the Jeep Grand Cherokee. Longer wheelbase is significant advantage when towing... less tendancy to pitchfork at speed, among other benefits.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The Jeep Grand Cherokee with the V6 is rated at 6,200 lbs.
With the Hemi - it’s rated at 7,400 lbs.
What year is that, I looked briefly and showed 5000lb.