• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tow valves on newer 1.8 boats

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
So last summer I attempted to install some valves behind my 1.8s and found there is little to no clearance back there to fit the valves I bought. Has anyone come up with a valve set up for the 1.8s

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What did you get? The island racing ones? I haven't tried to install them yet.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
How much access do you have in the bilge area? That is where I put mine and just reach through the access ports.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
They were gotten by my boat mechanic friend and they were way too long to fit. The hose length from the back of the engine to the wall is quite short. Clamping it looks like it could be difficult.

bucks448

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The Island Racing valves are pretty compact. I had to put mine in the engine compartment because I could get my arm far enough through the swim deck locker access ports. The 190 has more engine room, so it isn't hard to get to, but as you can see, it barely installs there.

2012-07-25_22-20-17_489.jpg

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Evil, Is it possible to install them under the clean out tray? That's where I put mine but I'm not sure about the access on the 1.8s. I put them there also so I didn't have to reach to the back of two hot engines to operate them.

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I had the island racing valves installed by my local dealer. I attempted to do it myself but found it was way to tight to fit in the area of the engine compartment where they needed to go.

xoomer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bought the Island Racing valves but haven't installed them yet. I agree there isn't much space but what I want to do is run a hose extension from where I make the cut up (and down) the back of the rear bulkhead and have the valves installed in an easily accessible place so I don't have to bend down behind the hot engine to turn them on and off.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I put mine under the clean out tray on the other side of the wall. Much better to install. Much better to activate.

xoomer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I put mine under the clean out tray on the other side of the wall. Much better to install. Much better to activate.
@tdonoughue I guess I don't understand--how do you reach in there to turn them on and off? Do you have to pull out the tray, or the plugs, whenever you want to reach the valves? When I pull my plugs out I don't see any opening--do you have a picture?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Under the tray. I pulled the plate in which the tray sits. Approximately 963,432 screws hold it in, which is a pain. But once you get that off, plenty of room there to work. I just snipped and then put them inline with band clamps. Do wear gloves. No gellcoat down there and you will ruin your nickels.

To activate, then I just pull the tray. I can't see one that way, but is know where it is...

I did it as my first mod, before I learned to post pics on the site that shall not be named. So I don't have any pics. But I am planning on swinging by today further to the audio install and will see if I can't snap some...

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That tray is supposed to be siliconed around the edges to prevent taking on water. May not be the best plan to have to break the silicone for that.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I re-beaded with silicone caulk when I replaced the tray. Plus, I found when I pulled mine that original silicone left some to be desired... Not too solid.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Tim,

But would you have to break the seal again to activate the tow valves?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Pretty sure mine doesn't have silicone around the tray, just around the big plate that is screwed in.

I'll grant you that doesn't make a whole lotta sense...

At any rate, ran for almost 2 yrs now with no issue...

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The new boats dont have access ports? If not these would be really easy to install for quick access.

20140315_085628.jpg

Attachments

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Tim, Are you talking about the tray between the cleanout plugs versus the entire cleanout plug tray? My 210 had a hatch between the two plugs that was accessible without screws or silicone. Cant remember if the 240 does.