• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tow vehicle?

Zeusmotorworks

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Anyone tow their 210 FSH with a Toyota 4Runner. Wife has a 2014 Trail Edition. Any feedback on that?

Last edited:

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Anyone tow their 210 FSH with a Toyota 4Runner. Wife has a 2014 Trail Edition. Any feedback on that?
4700 to 5000 lb tow capacity. I have seen people pull boats with less. I would tow it on short runs, but long runs you might want to look at something bigger. Does it have a tow package with a trans cooler?

Zeusmotorworks

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
4Runner's listed for 5000 lbs towing (yes tow package)... would be short runs, but was looking for someone who does it. I saw the review with either Jet Boat Pilot, or Boattest.com using a 4Runner for a tow vehicle in their 210 FSH Sport video. Can't remember which, but was hoping someone here could chime in. Won't be giving up the Toyotas.

Tailwaters

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Will be just fine, that 3.5L is a great motor.

Zeusmotorworks

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
It's a 2014... 4.0 liter w/auto

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Doesn’t the 210/ trailer package approach 4,000 lbs? Add fuel, gear, and a few passengers in the 4 runner you’re pretty close. Not enough margin for me to take it more than a couple miles.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We towed our older (2012) SX190 with a 2016(?) 4R LTD a few times including a long FL trip - and that was fine.
It is a 4.ol engine, done well with a 190. With 210? IDK, I would be reluctant to do it all the time, but if that is the only option I would think of three things: 1. making sure the vehicle is completely broken in (engine has over 5k miles), 2. the trailer perfectly leveled, the bow post can be moved if necessary to adjust tongue weight and eliminate any excessive squat I would worry about, 3. splurge on premium gas, 93 octane. The later makes a substantial difference when towing (or even daily driving in higher gears at highway speeds) as Toyota ECUs seem to adjust ignition timing substantially depending on fuel.

--

Zeusmotorworks

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Truth is, until we get a local slip in our marina it would be a 3 to 4 mile round trip tops. Not likely/often it would be going further.

Rainmakr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I tow my SX190 and trailer with a Toyota Tacoma (6500 lbs towing capacity) and it does just fine. I know there are a few members on here that tow their 210 FSH Sport with a Tacoma as well. The Tacoma and 4Runner are close to the same truck. As long as your below the max tow rating of the 4Runner, I dont see any issue for short trips. I also plan on upgrading to the FSH 210 Deluxe in the near future and plan on towing it with my Tacoma.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I tow my SX190 and trailer with a Toyota Tacoma (6500 lbs towing capacity) and it does just fine. I know there are a few members on here that tow their 210 FSH Sport with a Tacoma as well. The Tacoma and 4Runner are close to the same truck. As long as your below the max tow rating of the 4Runner, I dont see any issue for short trips. I also plan on upgrading to the FSH 210 Deluxe in the near future and plan on towing it with my Tacoma.
Yes and no. In my own experience the 4Runners (w/4.0 v6) are fine with 190s. The inline 4cyl in tacoma (2.5?) would be marginal at best I would think, but the 3.5 V6 is probably okay and the bottom line is: tow ratings certainly have you covered (at 6,500lbs) with either 190, or 210, or 240.

--

Rainmakr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes and no. In my own experience the 4Runners (w/4.0 v6) are fine with 190s. The inline 4cyl in tacoma (2.5?) would be marginal at best I would think, but the 3.5 V6 is probably okay and the bottom line is: tow ratings certainly have you covered (at 6,500lbs) with either 190, or 210, or 240.

--
Definitely meant the V6. I would not tow the boats with the 4cyl.

Tailwaters

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Pulled a 26 Powerquest which was about 6500lbs with my FJ and Tacoma with absolutely no issues. Matter of fact I towed my 19 FHA with an AWD Toyota Venza with the 3.5l 100 miles last summer one way with no issues. The 4runner Isa pretty large vehicle

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Zeusmotorworks for 4 miles I would not loose any sleep over it. Do the steps that @swatski mentioend and drive consevrvativly. You will be fine

Zeusmotorworks

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Thank guys, just have not towed anything over my 2500 lbs adventure trailer (offroad tent trailer). It tows like it's not there at all. Was not sure how a loaded 210 FSH would come out of a boat ramp.

BTW, my only other tow vehicle is an FJ Cruiser on 35's so it's more of the same... and it's a 6MT.

... and only use 93 octane in all my vehicles. Will look into moving the bow post if need be. It's already coming with the tandem axle aluminum trailer.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I tow my 212x with a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. It has 285's with 3.73 gears, you'll be just fine. I do however have air suspension which helps. I'd assume that trailer comes with at least surge brakes, no?

Zeusmotorworks

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Yes, trailer has surge brakes... that will be new to me too. My adventure trailer's are electric.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yes, trailer has surge brakes... that will be new to me too. My adventure trailer's are electric.
They were new to me too. My FIL has towed trailers and even been a long haul trucker for much of his life. He said he prefers surge brakes over electric every day of the week. Electric he said can be kinda jerky and not very linear in application. Where as surge tends to be much smoother.

Zeusmotorworks

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Are they adjustable? Seems like you could have too much or not enough brake... also what about in the wet or other low traction circumstances?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They were new to me too. My FIL has towed trailers and even been a long haul trucker for much of his life. He said he prefers surge brakes over electric every day of the week. Electric he said can be kinda jerky and not very linear in application. Where as surge tends to be much smoother.
You sure that's not backwards? Don't want to doubt what he said, but what you've described is exactly opposite of how these systems work. Electric is inherently linear, and surge is inherently reactive (jerky).

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I tow my 212x with a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. It has 285's with 3.73 gears, you'll be just fine. I do however have air suspension which helps. I'd assume that trailer comes with at least surge brakes, no?
Hmmm... There is so much here.

Regarding trailer brakes, I believe all but 190 single axle trailers have surge brakes. However dual axle trailers have the brakes mounted only on one of the two axles.
I like those brakes, you can feel those working no doubt, but like @2kwik4u said I believe the electric ones are eminently better, especially in salt water environment. At least that is what I have been told by trailer guys I talk to, but I'm curious.

--