• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Tow Vehicle

johhnyboat

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have been searching for an SUV to Tow my 242, but because of covid inventories are really slim pickings. The wife is against a pickup and although I would like one it would probably not be that practical. I have been relying on my son to use his Tacoma when needed. I have been wet slipping on and off this summer so it's pretty infrequent that I need a vehicle, but when I do I really don't want to be beholden on anyone for a "lift". Anyway, I found myself this weekend with a need to get my boat back in the water after doing some work on it (Jetboat pilot side thrusters) and didn't have anyone to give me a hand. I have a Jeep JKU but I have been reluctant to use it because the tow rating is only 3,500 pounds. I was in a pinch and I thought let me just give it a try to see how it pulls. I will tell you, I put it in 4 wheel high and I didn't even notice it was back there. backed it right down the ramp with zero issues. It's nice to know that I can use it in a pinch. Now, I wouldn't drive hundreds of miles while towing but around town and to the marina it handled like a boss. Just thought I would share as I have seen the question come up if a newer JK Unlimited can work as a tow vehicle and I will say it worked great for me. As an FYI, I have a 2inch lift and 33" All terrain tires.

If/when you get back to looking at SUV’s my wife loves her 2021 Expedition. I personally think it feels a little more stable towing than my F-150. And it’s super spacious and comfortable inside!

Attachments

• D1325DE0-7B6F-4B2E-B4BE-1027C94874A0.jpeg
    D1325DE0-7B6F-4B2E-B4BE-1027C94874A0.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 47
I don't think you should pull that with any wrangler...

You should check for at least 7000lbs to tow it comfortably

Some suggestions :

- Durango (5,7)
- sequoia
- grand Cherokee (5,7)
- Lexus GX
- Tahoe / Yukon
- Expedition
- Land Cruiser
- Armada

I used to tow my 2010 AR240 (lighter than your 242) with a Highlander (5000lbs) and it was doing the job but I was far from "comfortable"

I trade it for a Tundra and it pull it really nice

My 2020 Ford Explorer Platinum pulls my 212SE with no issues. I can pull grades and stop on a dime with it. The only issue is when launching on a ramp with loose gravel, it will slip a little. So I avoid loose gravel launch ramps and use a large wheel chock when launching. I also use a brake pedal apply tool as well. This is mainly an issue because the lakes are so low in CA this year.

I hope you just used 4wd high to back down the ramp, you are not suppose to use it in dry pavement, only lose surface since it locks the wheels together.

I hope you just used 4wd high to back down the ramp, you are not suppose to use it in dry pavement, only lose surface since it locks the wheels together.
the ramp that I use is dirt and gravel.

Some suggestions :

- Durango (5,7)
- sequoia
- grand Cherokee (5,7)
- Lexus GX
- Tahoe / Yukon
- Expedition
- Land Cruiser
- Armada

I used to tow my 2010 AR240 (lighter than your 242) with a Highlander (5000lbs) and it was doing the job but I was far from "comfortable"

I would rather tow with my Wrangler then a Highlander. The issue with the Jeep is weight, it is a light vehicle, but it has a better gear ratio, engine and 4 wheel capabilities. Again, as I said originally, it would be for very short distances (a few miles) and in and out of the water.

Coming from a Minnesota resident that drives their vehicles in 4-auto and 4 high for 4-6 months out of the year, this is false information. Unless there is something remotely different about that particular vehicle. (which could very well be possible, some vehicles experience that grabby feeling when the diff locks their rotation together) Modern vehicles don't usually do that, or have true Diff-lock, until they are in 4-low.

I could be way off base here, but unless it has something crazy different, there should be limited slip in any "high" setting of 4WD for highway use. As we drive our vehicles down highways and interstates in 4-hi. I would be still to this date, if my last 3 trucks didn't come with an auto-4 setting. As my first 3 trucks, were 2wd, 4-hi and 4-lo only. Once November came, they lived in 4-hi till late April.

And always on the boat ramps, keeping the front dry tires pulling. Nothing I love laughing at more, are idiots on the boat landing frying their rear tires off when all they needed to do was push the button and use 4wd as it was intended for.

I would rather tow with my Wrangler then a Highlander. The issue with the Jeep is weight, it is a light vehicle, but it has a better gear ratio, engine and 4 wheel capabilities. Again, as I said originally, it would be for very short distances (a few miles) and in and out of the water.
Got you !

The problem with the Highlander was not the power but the weight even is heavier than your wrangler but one thing you wrangler will probably do better is the way the suspension act with the weight on the tongue.

But again it is day and night with my Tundra and I just put a deposit on a 252 SE that is close to 1000lbs heavier so I got my back cover now

If/when you get back to looking at SUV’s my wife loves her 2021 Expedition. I personally think it feels a little more stable towing than my F-150. And it’s super spacious and comfortable inside!
That thing is huge! It looks great, but my wife is used to driving a sedan; formerly a BMW and now an electric vehicle. I have to sell her on an SUV, but it's going to have to be something midrange with a high tow capacity. I am not getting rid of my Jeep :D

It has "intelligent" 4wd, so I select trail mode when going down the ramp.

Coming from a Minnesota resident that drives their vehicles in 4-auto and 4 high for 4-6 months out of the year, this is false information. Unless there is something remotely different about that particular vehicle. (which could very well be possible, some vehicles experience that grabby feeling when the diff locks their rotation together) Modern vehicles don't usually do that, or have true Diff-lock, until they are in 4-low.

I could be way off base here, but unless it has something crazy different, there should be limited slip in any "high" setting of 4WD for highway use. As we drive our vehicles down highways and interstates in 4-hi. I would be still to this date, if my last 3 trucks didn't come with an auto-4 setting. As my first 3 trucks, were 2wd, 4-hi and 4-lo only. Once November came, they lived in 4-hi till late April.

And always on the boat ramps, keeping the front dry tires pulling. Nothing I love laughing at more, are idiots on the boat landing frying their rear tires off when all they needed to do was push the button and use 4wd as it was intended for.
From my understanding, all time 4 wheel drive (AWD) disengage when in a turn cause its design to do it) but 4Hi on part time 4wd vehicle can cause damage to the drivetrain if you do it often enough. it is all over the web too (google 4wd dry pavement). Unless newer vehicles have different design, I would not do it.

Driving in 4 Wheel Drive on Dry Pavement (Highway) – 4WheelDriveGuide

From my understanding, all time 4 wheel drive (AWD) disengage when in a turn cause its design to do it) but 4Hi on part time 4wd vehicle can cause damage to the drivetrain if you do it often enough. it is all over the web too (google 4wd dry pavement). Unless newer vehicles have different design, I would not do it.

I will be sure to share that with everyone in a state with snow. Please try not to take offense if they don't read what a concerned Floridian shared about how they learned to drive 4wd as a teenager was really incorrect. And just because their 4wd didn't fail, doesn't mean it won't happen to them.

I'm seriously teasing you now, I just wish I had a font for sarcasm. Seriously, 4wd is a different animal these days. And I would not buy a current vehicle with it that could not be run down the highway at 65. In fact, I have not owned a 2wd vehicle in over 25 years.

As mentioned above though, the guys burning their tires at the landing, are the ones believing that nonsense. Boat retrieval is a straight line tow. And you truly can shift it to 2wd on the fly to a parking spot before actually turning the tires. Use the technology as it was intended, save your tires. There is merit in your point, but this is where it is needed.

Why is wife against a truck?

As stated in the article, "Driving on dry pavement or highways with a part-time 4-wheel drive while the center diff-lock is engaged should be AVOIDED AT ALL COSTS. The reason for this rule is, the drivetrain design of a part-time 4-wheel drive is not intended for high-traction surfaces such as dry pavements but rather for slippery, low traction off-road terrain where traction is limited. Drivetrain binding will result if a part-time 4WD is driven for many miles on twisty highways. "

Diff lock can only be engaged in 4-lo on 90% of current vehicles. There is no true diff lock in auto 4 or 4-hi situations. It's limited, thus the slight tire chirp experienced. And it's at low speed. This article does not apply to boat ramps. If a boat ramp were a "high traction surface" we wouldn't use 4wd.

As stated in the article, "Driving on dry pavement or highways with a part-time 4-wheel drive while the center diff-lock is engaged should be AVOIDED AT ALL COSTS. The reason for this rule is, the drivetrain design of a part-time 4-wheel drive is not intended for high-traction surfaces such as dry pavements but rather for slippery, low traction off-road terrain where traction is limited. Drivetrain binding will result if a part-time 4WD is driven for many miles on twisty highways. "

Diff lock can only be engaged in 4-lo on 90% of current vehicles. There is no true diff lock in auto 4 or 4-hi situations. It's limited, thus the slight tire chirp experienced. And it's at low speed. This article does not apply to boat ramps. If a boat ramp were a "high traction surface" we wouldn't use 4wd.
I've used mine on boat ramp and try not to do so much turns, i was referring to highway driving when I quoted TS post.

Some suggestions :

- Durango (5,7)
- sequoia
- grand Cherokee (5,7)
- Lexus GX
- Tahoe / Yukon
- Expedition
- Land Cruiser
- Armada

Add the Audi Q7 and MB GL series in there. Also have over 7k tow ratings.

Man, this is SOOOO vehicle dependent now. With so many new systems out there you really have to dive into the particular system to know what it's doing. Some can actually lock the diff in auto 4 and 4-hi situations (like the GM fullsize pickups and SUVs).

Something like my Q7 that has a Torsen based center diff that is NOT selectable, but defaults to a LOCKED condition is a VERY specific application. Wifes Rogue is also an "AWD" vehicle, but has a FWD bias with a lockable Haldex style center diff. Completely different system for transferring power around. My old Sierra had a traditional center transfer case with no center differential, but instead an electromechanical clutch that would allow you to run in "auto" 4WD mode on an otherwise traditional system, and would default to an open or unlocked condition by default, and only transfer power when low traction was detected.

With all that said. There is no reason to worry about running 4wd up a straight ramp. Get the boat out of the water, and the tow vehicle back to dry land, once traction issues are gone, move back to 2wd if you have it. If it wasn't a slippy surface, you wouldn't need the 4wd anyway.

Back