• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Towable air pump and rope length

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm looking for an air pump to inflate towables, I have a big tube and a Big Mable. I have a BassPro shop gift card that I need to use and the only air pump I see on their site is a Coleman that peaks at .8 psi and has 290 liters per minute. Is that decent volume to inflate a tube?

My rope question is how long of a rope do people use to tow?

O'Rageous® 12V High Pressure Pump
from academy

I bought the above from academy, works great on the largest of my inflatables and only $29.

We attach the tube to the rear of the boat (only take one tube) with three suction cups and buckle straps so we don't use a pump on the water.
When towing a tube we use an 80 foot tow rope with 2 10 ft take-offs so we can adjust it from 60 ft to 80. Our sit down tube is fine at 70ft , but my kids still complain of jetwash at 70 ft when riding the low profile "lay on your stomach" style tube. We kept swim goggles on the boat for the longest time because of the jet wash.

We attach the tube to the rear of the boat (only take one tube) with three suction cups and buckle straps so we don't use a pump on the water.
When towing a tube we use an 80 foot tow rope with 2 10 ft take-offs so we can adjust it from 60 ft to 80. Our sit down tube is fine at 70ft , but my kids still complain of jetwash at 70 ft when riding the low profile "lay on your stomach" style tube. We kept swim goggles on the boat for the longest time because of the jet wash.
Do you tow from the tower or the tow point? Seems like I remember reading that you're not supposed to tow tubes from the tower for some reason, but I also read where people do without problems.

We tow our kids from the tower with no problem but when it comes to adults we use the lower tow point.

We only use the tower for kneeboarding/wake boarding/and skiing, tubes get hooked to the transom tow point.

tower we use wakeboard, kneeboard and ski. Tubing we use the rear tow point. I don't think it matters with kids but with adults it could be iffy using the tower for tubing. Then again I keep thinking that rear tow point is gonna pop off every time and adult asks me for a tow on the tube.

Our tube rope is 70 to 80 feet back to get away from the spray. We used to have goggles too! I have used the tower to pull everything and everyone with no problems. If I am towing people (yes usally adults) that don't want a wilder ride but rather just want to ride I will use the tow hook so the tube stays flatter. I do check every year for any signs of stress around where the tower mounts and I have not seen anything yet. :)

Our tube rope is 70 to 80 feet back to get away from the spray. We used to have goggles too! I have used the tower to pull everything and everyone with no problems. If I am towing people (yes usally adults) that don't want a wilder ride but rather just want to ride I will use the tow hook so the tube stays flatter. I do check every year for any signs of stress around where the tower mounts and I have not seen anything yet. :)
Thanks!
I bought my boat at Allatoona, very nice area!

We have the AIRHEAD AHP-12HP High Pressure Air Pump 12 Volt. It has held up well after two years of usage and inflates our tubes and trampoline quickly. It appears to be very similar to the Overton's pump mentioned above for a lower price.
61jt8ccDLpS._SL1500_.jpg

Panama Beach is nice place too! Go there for bike rallies! I have seen some good options for housing down there and have been thinking of looking closer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AIRMAN-Vortex-Portable-Rapid-Inflate-High-Volume-Electric-Air-Pump-Inflator/121295846673?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222003&algo=SIC.FIT&ao=1&asc=20131003132420&meid=5946467956682387515&pid=100005&prg=20131003132420&rk=2&rkt=6&sd=251492805945&rt=nc

$_1.JPG

5 psi, 120v, $30.00 and had it for 5 years w/o a problem.... (yes we have an inverter on board, primarily to run the blender for Boat Drinks that The Girl requires for General Happiness

Or this one with a 12v plug.....
$_1.JPG

Tow rope at 75ft. Long enough to get away from jet-wash, not too long to snap the tube, or accelerate the skier.....

Has anyone else dropped their inflator in the water? I tend to inflate my tubes and the trampoline standing in the water with the inflator sitting on the boat. My inflator has fallen in the water a few times. A 120V inflator scares me.

LOL, I tend not to be standing in water while handling electronics. I would think it would short out and no longer work but who knows??

rkluck, As for the rope length the longer the better for us my kids are always saying how much the spray from the jets hurts their face. so this year I'm on a quest for 100ft rope, any thoughts?

LOL, I tend not to be standing in water while handling electronics. I would think it would short out and no longer work but who knows??

The higher the voltage the greater the potential for it reach out and touch you. A 12V pump does not cause a problem when dropped in the water. But all bathroom and kitchen outlets are required to be GFCI protected because we know what happens when you drop the hair dryer in the tub. The inverter may not be able to make a lot of amperage and may kick off soon after a 120 device is dropped in the water but it is still going to tingle.

The higher the voltage the greater the potential for it reach out and touch you. A 12V pump does not cause a problem when dropped in the water. But all bathroom and kitchen outlets are required to be GFCI protected because we know what happens when you drop the hair dryer in the tub. The inverter may not be able to make a lot of amperage and may kick off soon after a 120 device is dropped in the water but it is still going to tingle.
wow, never thought about dropping the 120 v devices in the water...... may have to consider that next time!

FYI the inverter also charges the laptop and the cell phone when we are out for 5 days at a time......

rkluck, As for the rope length the longer the better for us my kids are always saying how much the spray from the jets hurts their face. so this year I'm on a quest for 100ft rope, any thoughts?

One thing I did was put two ropes together and then adjusting the length until the right length was found. We have ski, tube and wakeboard ropes (plus some spares) so we had no troubles finding the length that worked. Once you have that happy spot you can figure out how what it takes for the future. It is a lot more fun without the water in your face!

Back