• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tower worth it?

waternutt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
I am looking at either a Limited or Limited S E-series. Obviously it comes down to preference and use, but is the tower worth the extra $3-4k? I have heard it could help with resale down the road. Thoughts? Any disadvantages to having a tower?

dbrock34

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think so. We love ours. Great for watersports, appearance, and on the 2013 model it's a good place to hang fenders because the cleats don't always seem to be where you need them. If you ever want to add speakers down the road it comes in real handy as well.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Without a doubt get a tower....... Resale is key. I wouldn't look at a boat without a tower.

Dough

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Not to me. I'm 6'4", so I hit my head on every tower yamaha makes right now.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree with the guys above. However, I don't know about the tower on that particular boat and your intended use. For instance, it might be a pita if you had to lower the tower after every time you used the boat if you never intend to use the tower. But it's a huge plus for resale, towing and looks of course ;)

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Go with a tower for sure. I don't have one on mine and really wish I did. I also noticed that not only were the used boats with towers more expensive, they sell much quicker.

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have not had towers on either of my Yamaha's, the kids when they were younger would wakeboard, ski, tube, etc. and never had any issues - that being said I am sure a tower is nicer to tow when wakeboarding. Now that the kids have grown up and are on their own it's mostly my Wife and I on the boat, we just cruise around the lake, find a nice spot to relax, swim, or fish.

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bought an SX model with no tower and i do regret it. I am not a water sports person other than towing a tube. The tower not only helps with resale, but in my opinion the best parts of the tower are that the bimini is never in the way when it is down and you can easily add lights and speakers to the boat too. The SX bimini is bigger and that is why I got it (along with my sales guy told me the tower bimini was harder to erect). When the Bimini is down and people are getting on the boat they have to step over it and that sucks. I love my boat, but i do wish I had the tower.

All the above is only valid for the newer style forward swept tower. I don't like the looks at all of the older tower designs.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Towers do improve resale value but less so than their original cost. The primary disadvantage that I see is that those of us that park in garages likely have to fold the tower every time and may not be able to fit towered boats at all.

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A tower is going to help your resale but it's not dollar for dollar. It's a no brainer if you use it, but I wouldn't get a tower just because if you don't intend to use it. It does make for a sportier looking boat. Obviously if you are asking this question you probably don't intend to use it or you are looking for an excuse to tell the wife why you need one.

waternutt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
I have not had towers on either of my Yamaha's, the kids when they were younger would wakeboard, ski, tube, etc. and never had any issues - that being said I am sure a tower is nicer to tow when wakeboarding. Now that the kids have grown up and are on their own it's mostly my Wife and I on the boat, we just cruise around the lake, find a nice spot to relax, swim, or fish.
So the lower tow point works fine for most watersports? My kids are still very young (5 and 3), so any watersports would be me (and I am by no means a professional...getting too old) until they start tubing. Most of our time will probably be spent cruising around and anchored at the sandbar, but I do plan on keeping this boat for quite some time. And I really like the look.

I bought an SX model with no tower and i do regret it. I am not a water sports person other than towing a tube. The tower not only helps with resale, but in my opinion the best parts of the tower are that the bimini is never in the way when it is down and you can easily add lights and speakers to the boat too. The SX bimini is bigger and that is why I got it (along with my sales guy told me the tower bimini was harder to erect). When the Bimini is down and people are getting on the boat they have to step over it and that sucks. I love my boat, but i do wish I had the tower.
Shade is a priority but I think the bimini size between the two e-series boats is probably pretty close, so it really comes down to whether we want the tower or not.

Towers do improve resale value but less so than their original cost. The primary disadvantage that I see is that those of us that park in garages likely have to fold the tower every time and may not be able to fit towered boats at all.
No plan to park it in my garage. It will more than likely be trailered and stored outside, so hopefully would not have to fold it down every time.

Thanks for everyone's help...decisions, decisions.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So the lower tow point works fine for most watersports? My kids are still very young (5 and 3), so any watersports would be me (and I am by no means a professional...getting too old) until they start tubing.
You should not pull tubes from the tower. The tow point above the swim deck is sufficient for any water sport that I know of. The tower allows for more advanced wake boarding and surfing.

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
With kids 5 and 3 and no plans for you to be a wakeboarder a tower isn't necessary. You and when the kids are of age can still wakeboard behind the lower tow hook (that's probably better for beginners anyway), and skiing and tubing shouldn't be done from the tower. For your situation it really just comes down to if the look of the tower is worth it to you.

waternutt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
With kids 5 and 3 and no plans for you to be a wakeboarder a tower isn't necessary. You and when the kids are of age can still wakeboard behind the lower tow hook (that's probably better for beginners anyway), and skiing and tubing shouldn't be done from the tower. For your situation it really just comes down to if the look of the tower is worth it to you.
That is the conclusion my practical side is coming to...but my non-sensible side really likes the look.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was in your same spot I have no use for the tower at all but bought a tower boat this time anyway just for the resale. Not necisarrily the dollar amount but the speed of sale with out the tower you eliminate aprox 2/3 of your buyers more people are shoping for tower boats then non tower boats in our catagorey. Most who don't care if they have a tower boat will still buy one if the price is right and not care but people who want the tower typically will not even look at one with out it.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If I may put a quick spin into all this. Are you ever planing on making a Bimini trip? You are looking easily at $4 to 5K for Bimini upgrades on a stock boat. Mine was very well rigged and still I have spend $3700 ( to date) for Bimini preparations. Personally, I would put the money towards preping for blue water than an awesome look.

Although I hear the tower is good a platform for mounting VHF antennas and holding one while wetting your pans.

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
my first boat had no tower. My 2nd and 3rd did. That said - I will NEVER EVER get a boat without.
It's so much more than a tow point or a "look" or a place to hang speakers. It has function.
It provides shade, storage and a hand hold when moving around.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Last year when we bought our Yamaha AR230, I was unfamiliar with "roll cages" towers on boats, as we had not had one before. And did not know if I would like it and briefly thought about removing it. Glad i did not. I found it to be an excellent place to mount VHF/AM/FM antennas, as mentioned above we tie fenders to it at the slip, we use 4 fenders dockside. It is a strong place to grab the boat while backing into the slip during crosswinds, in neutral, my wife will hook a dock cleat and pull close to dock as I exit thru swim platform to dock and pull boat to final position. It is a good place to hang wet stuff to dry. It helps to mount our shade/privacy screens. We do not yet wakeboard, but have skied(lower toe point). Sooo many things can be mounted on them speakers, lights, racks, rod holders etc. Its all about personal preferences and what you expect you will be doing with the boat while you have it. Glad we bought the AR and left it on, the tower had proved itself useful to us.