• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Towing 24' Yamaha with Chevy Tahoe ??

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Is anyone towing their 24 foot boat with a late model ( MY18 or 19 ) Tahoe ? I need to soon bring my AR240 and trailer (approx 5200 lbs.) about 100 miles from the lake to my home. Wondering if I should just bite the bullet and rent an F250 or Dodge 2500 from Enterprise for the trip OR if my Tahoe is acceptable ? I already have a 2" and 4" drop receiver w/ ball and the flat to 7 round electrical plug.

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have a 2013 Tahoe with the 5.3 and have towed over 6,000 lbs with it fairly easy. I don’t know about the late models but I’m using a 4” drop on mine.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
What sort of terrain will you be going through? An AR 240 dry weight on trailer is 5010 pounds. I think the Tahoe tops out around 6000 lbs. So you have 900 pounds to play with. If you run the boat to less than a quarter tank and don't have it full of stuff and people with you, I'd say you'd be ok (taking it easy).....but its always your call

(insert all the fine print about all the possible horrible side effects including death, uncontrollable diarrhea, anal bleeding, bad breath and lethargy)

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The towing capacity on a 2018 Chevy Tahoe is 6,400 - 6,600 lbs. As long as your comfortable with heavy loads, solid brakes and tires you will be just fine.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did they drop the ratings on the Tahoe/Yukon line?

The rating on my old '03 Yukon SLT was 7,400lbs (just googled to double check). Didn't realize they had derated them so heavily in recent years.

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
thanks guys !! @Julian , you scared the hell out of me ! Last thing I need while towing my boat up I-75 is a diarrhea attack or severe anal bleeding. Almost as bad as the body cavity warning sticker Yamaha puts on the stern of our boats.

granpachuck

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Is anyone towing their 24 foot boat with a late model ( MY18 or 19 ) Tahoe ? I need to soon bring my AR240 and trailer (approx 5200 lbs.) about 100 miles from the lake to my home. Wondering if I should just bite the bullet and rent an F250 or Dodge 2500 from Enterprise for the trip OR if my Tahoe is acceptable ? I already have a 2" and 4" drop receiver w/ ball and the flat to 7 round electrical plug.
When we were car shopping this year with the idea that towing capacity was at the top of the list, we almost went with a late model Tahoe, but I believe there is a big difference in towing ability depending on if the vehicle came with the heavy duty tow package already installed. In our research, we decided we would not buy a Tahoe without it. With it, I think it would be a solid choice. FYI, most dealers and salesman dont know how to tell if the vehicle had it or not.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When we were car shopping this year with the idea that towing capacity was at the top of the list, we almost went with a late model Tahoe, but I believe there is a big difference in towing ability depending on if the vehicle came with the heavy duty tow package already installed. In our research, we decided we would not buy a Tahoe without it. With it, I think it would be a solid choice. FYI, most dealers and salesman dont know how to tell if the vehicle had it or not.
Same goes for any late model fullsize pickup. The Silverado/Sierra often comes equipped with 3.08:1 axle gearing. With these gears they are rated to tow only 5,200lbs. Finding a truck with the 3.42:1 axle gearing is tough, and requires seeing the vehicle in person, or having a salesman verify the gearing through the RPO codes in the glove box.

I suspect the same condition is true on the Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade lineup.

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
we tow our 242LS with my wife's escalade from time to time. It does fine. Sucks on fuel, but tows fine. Hers is the tahoe sized escalade.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Same goes for any late model fullsize pickup. The Silverado/Sierra often comes equipped with 3.08:1 axle gearing. With these gears they are rated to tow only 5,200lbs. Finding a truck with the 3.42:1 axle gearing is tough, and requires seeing the vehicle in person, or having a salesman verify the gearing through the RPO codes in the glove box.

I suspect the same condition is true on the Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade lineup.
This must be regional. As it's the exact opposite for us here in MN/ND. It's hard to find them the way you are. A full sized pickup rated for 5200lbs would never sell here. Those sound like suburb trucks, meant to haul grass to the compost heap. (even though that is what my Denali does on a weekly basis, with on road rims and tires)

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This must be regional. As it's the exact opposite for us here in MN/ND. It's hard to find them the way you are. A full sized pickup rated for 5200lbs would never sell here. Those sound like suburb trucks, meant to haul grass to the compost heap. (even though that is what my Denali does on a weekly basis, with on road rims and tires)
I bet you have more of the 3.08 trucks than you realize. Most owners never check the tow rating on their full size, they just see the ads on TV saying "best in class towing", plunk down their cash and tow over the ratings.

I'm convinced that's why most people think the 5.3L in the GM trucks is a dog, the take rate on the 3.08 equipped trucks is pretty high, and with that crappy gear selection the truck feels very underpowered.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
3.42 is standard on all Sierra Denali 5.3ltr and 3.23 on 6.2ltr for 2018. The 3.08 is not even an option.

My last two Sierras in 2015 and 2012 were 3.42 if not 3.73. All had towing capacity of 7500 or greater. My 2018 as configured is 9100. As mentioned, we really do not see those other ratios very often.

I owned two Chevy Colorado's prior, and they were both over 5000lbs. I don't need another Colorado, I read the specs before buying for sure.

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Here's the specs for a 2019. No matter what, I wouldn't think twice about towing a 24' with a Tahoe. Hook up and go as long as you have reasonable towing experience. Just my $0.02.

Attachments

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
thanks all ! @Jameson Clark attachment just supports what @Julian & @DavisAR195 pointed out earlier in the thread ! I'm sure my 18 Tahoe has the small gear BUT I still have about 1000-1200 lbs. to play with for fuel , batteries , anchor , etc. in the boat. I know its going to suck the gas but so does the boat so why should that make any difference ?? lol . Not ideal but going to go for it ONCE.

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
thanks all ! @Jameson Clark attachment just supports what @Julian & @DavisAR195 pointed out earlier in the thread ! I'm sure my 18 Tahoe has the small gear BUT I still have about 1000-1200 lbs. to play with for fuel , batteries , anchor , etc. in the boat. I know its going to suck the gas but so does the boat so why should that make any difference ?? lol . Not ideal but going to go for it ONCE.
If you're curious, crawl under the rear and there is a tag on the rear end that will tell you what size ring and pinion you have. Or, call a Chevy dealer with the VIN and they can tell you.

dzeppos

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Look at the window sticker - (they are online now too) - and you can see what gears it has. I had a 2012 Yukon XL with HD 3.42 gears - (those were easy to tell visually - just needed to see if it had 4WD and 4H 4L switch). When I traded it in for my 2018 Expedition, i simply looked on the window sticker to ensure it had the HD package. I believe the HD backage is a MUST to tow the 24' Yamaha boats - and you should be fine

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
3.42 is standard on all Sierra Denali 5.3ltr and 3.23 on 6.2ltr for 2018. The 3.08 is not even an option.

My last two Sierras in 2015 and 2012 were 3.42 if not 3.73. All had towing capacity of 7500 or greater. My 2018 as configured is 9100. As mentioned, we really do not see those other ratios very often.

I owned two Chevy Colorado's prior, and they were both over 5000lbs. I don't need another Colorado, I read the specs before buying for sure.
Sounds to me like you're more informed than J.Q.Public. Maybe it is regional though, I have no idea how to determine that though. Couple of product educated guys only gets us a couple data points. Would be neat to get ahold of some sales figures, but I doubt that will happen.

I should have held out for a 6.2L, but settled on the 5.3L and 3.42 gears. I was running out of time to make a decision on my other vehicle was quickly failing me, and I was starting a new job that moved my commute from 6 miles to 25 miles (one way). Still had to drive over 100 miles to Cincinnati to get a GMC SLT Z71 with the options I wanted.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I should have held out for a 6.2L, but settled on the 5.3L and 3.42 gears.
After owning two Sierras configured 5.3/3.42, I was actually surprised to find a Denali configured that way in 2018. As most were 6.2. Only a couple months after taking delivery, I towed our 242LS back to Fargo area 1700 miles and averaged 11mpg on the superslab. It has performed well for the past 1.5 years with excellent mileage commuting.

So yes it would be nice to have the 6.2, but is it necessary, heck no. Would it be nice to have a 3/4 ton, maybe, but my truck rides better than many cars.

So back to the OP's question, will a Tahoe tow one of these boat. Heck yes. But as you guys mentioned, check the ration/tow ratings to be safe. I know I'm pushing very close to 5000lbs loaded up.

Good luck all.

Last edited:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
After owning two Sierras configured 5.3/3.42, I was actually surprised to find a Denali configured that way in 2018. As most were 6.2. Only a couple months after taking delivery, I towed our 242LS back to Fargo area 1700 miles and averaged 11mpg on the superslab. It has performed well for the past 1.5 years with excellent mileage commuting.
I was amazed the other day when an uncle brought home a used 2014 Denali. He bought it assuming it had the 6.2/AWD in it. It in fact was a 5.3/3.42/2WD pickup. Came out of Texas, and I guess was the "lowest optioned" Denali possible. I had no idea Denali's could be found that way. Had fewer options than my 2015 SLT, was an odd truck for certain.

He didn't figure out it was 2wd until he got stuck in his front yard. He owned that truck for 23days I think. Was stuck on day 21. He was so pissed at that purchase he went back to a Ford, even though he admits it was 100% uninformed purchasing on his part that landed him there.

Anywho, back to Tahoe/Yukon talk again. Here's the last trip with our '03 Yukon/'98 Rinker before we sold both when I went back to school at 31. It was honestly one of the best vehicles I've owned.

IMAG0552.jpg