• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Towing a SX 195 with a 2021 Ford Bronco

scubasteve87

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
After over a year of waiting, I finally picked up my brand new 2021 Ford Bronco. For those new to this vehicle, it's similar to a Jeep Wrangler both in capability, size and looks.

I can give a further review or answer questions on owning it so far (spoiler, it's awesome!) So fire away any questions.

Regardless, I finally got the Bronco set up to tow my 2018 SX195. My previous tow vehicle was a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 4.0 6 cylinder with over 230k miles. It was getting on its last legs, but bridged the gap to the Bronco so no complaints.

The jeep was adequate in towing the 195, but never felt too stable or inspired confidence. For my use we usually only go about 20 miles at most (most of the time only 5 minutes to the closest ramp) here on the relatively flat Long Island so really don't need too much. Jeep was fine but definitely at the upper limit of what it was capable.

Now as for the Bronco it's been night and day. I have a Black Diamond trim, 10 speed Auto with the 2.3L Ecoboost. I have a 4.46 locking rear diff so it really makes good use of the torque. I have only towed about 20 miles mostly to get the boat cleaned up and shrink wrapped for the winter so I can't speak to long term fuel economy. However the driving experience has been great. Plenty of power, smooth stability on highway up to about 65-70 and solid braking.

The loaded weight of the 195 plus people and gear in the vehicle is right around the 3,500lb limit of the Bronco. However this power train is the same as the Ranger so it's not power limited. More limited by suspension and likely brakes. The photos show a little bit of sag but not too much.

I probably wouldn't be too confident towing anything bigger and over capacity, but like I said I don't think it would be due to lack of power. You could configure a Bronco with the 2.7L Ecoboost from the F-150 but it doesn't increase the tow rating. So it probably would be okay up to 5k lbs if you balanced the tongue weight and were traveling short distances but definitely suspension limited.

Regardless, my fiance and I love our new Bronco and are super excited for it to be our swiss army knife vehicle. It will tow the boat, take us camping in the mountains, quick trips with the dog on the outer beach, etc.

Attachments

SwissDoo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Thx for the write up, fun to read.
Having a look at an outer banks with lux and sas package next week, imagine getting your hands on one here 🥺
Coming from the Wrangler my biggest concern is the towing capacity.
The wrangler can tow 3500kg, the Bronco 1600kg, thats quite low to be honest. No chance to tow my 230sp legally.

Good luck with the Bronco 👍💪

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Congrats on the new Bronco. I think Ford did a great job with the return of the Bronco. The blue is an interesting color, and I think it looks great on your new Bronco. :winkingthumbsup"

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thx for the write up, fun to read.
Having a look at an outer banks with lux and sas package next week, imagine getting your hands on one here 🥺
Coming from the Wrangler my biggest concern is the towing capacity.
The wrangler can tow 3500kg, the Bronco 1600kg, thats quite low to be honest. No chance to tow my 230sp legally.

Good luck with the Bronco 👍💪
In the US, the max tow for any model wrangler is 3500lbs not kg same as the Bronco.

scubasteve87

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
In the US, the max tow for any model wrangler is 3500lbs not kg same as the Bronco.
Correct. Like I noted this same power train is in the current Ford Ranger and is rated for 7,000lbs. I'm pretty sure it's only suspension and brake limited at the point. You could upgrade the tow hit to a higher class, add in beefier suspension and brakes and it would probably tow more no problem. I've seen plenty of people do that with wranglers and tow trailers in the 5k range.

No whether you want to do it "legally" based on the manufacturer GSVW is a different story.

scubasteve87

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Congrats on the new Bronco. I think Ford did a great job with the return of the Bronco. The blue is an interesting color, and I think it looks great on your new Bronco. :winkingthumbsup"
Much appreciated! The color is called Area-51 and certainly is different in the shade versus sunlight. Definitely a blue base, but a very flat grey/slate overtone to it. I try to avoid the generic black, white and grey colors most cars are now a days.

SwissDoo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Sorry for trolling your thread.

4 Door Wrangler JK has 7716 lbs towing capacity here, stock from the factory.

scubasteve87

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sorry for trolling your thread.

4 Door Wrangler JK has 7716 lbs towing capacity here, stock from the factory.
No worries at all! The Gladiator which is more or less the same set up as the Wrangler does have that high if a tow rating when properly equiped. Here in the states 3,500 is what's rated from the factory. Like I said these vehicles can definitely do more and would be fine, bit you could run into legal issues if there is an accident involving your set up.

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Correct. Like I noted this same power train is in the current Ford Ranger and is rated for 7,000lbs. I'm pretty sure it's only suspension and brake limited at the point. You could upgrade the tow hit to a higher class, add in beefier suspension and brakes and it would probably tow more no problem. I've seen plenty of people do that with wranglers and tow trailers in the 5k range.

No whether you want to do it "legally" based on the manufacturer GSVW is a different story.
Sorry, I read your post wrong initially. I do wonder what part of the capability fails, I agree probably not the powertrain.

scubasteve87

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sorry, I read your post wrong initially. I do wonder what part of the capability fails, I agree probably not the powertrain.
Honestly, I think as long you're not lifting the hell out of the vehicle or putting massive tires on you I feel you would be comfortable towing up around 5K no problem. The brakes work well normally and under load and seem sufficient size. The suspension is probably the only issue with balancing the tongue weight correctly and maybe reducing sag with air bags or beefier suspension but thats to be expect honestly. The power train is the least of my concerns given its rating in the Ranger (7K) and in the explorer (5K)

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I'm pretty surprised the 4 door bronco only has a 3500# towing capacity. Figured it would be closer to 5k

scubasteve87

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm pretty surprised the 4 door bronco only has a 3500# towing capacity. Figured it would be closer to 5k
I was originally surprised as well. But it keeps it dead even with the current gen wrangler. I think towing 5k is fine with this power train set up. Bigger concerns is the softer off road suspension. Just like what you have to deal with in a Wrangler.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
My thought is that for serious towing, you get a truck. For serious off-roading you get a jeep. Many of us use our vehicles primarily for highway driving with occasional towing or off-road use so it really doesn't matter what we buy, as long as it is adequate for our needs. 🤷‍♂️

Jim

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My thought is that for serious towing, you get a truck. For serious off-roading you get a jeep. Many of us use our vehicles primarily for highway driving with occasional towing or off-road use so it really doesn't matter what we buy, as long as it is adequate for our needs. 🤷‍♂️

Jim
I go around in circles with this thought. I have a 2 dr 2012 Wrangler with the rear seat removed which I take down to WVa and Ky a few times a year to do serious off roading. I have another vehicle I do highway driving and boat towing. My mind is always trying to combine all those functions, but the single vehicle solution always ends up costing me more and having less capability.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I go around in circles with this thought. I have a 2 dr 2012 Wrangler with the rear seat removed which I take down to WVa and Ky a few times a year to do serious off roading. I have another vehicle I do highway driving and boat towing. My mind is always trying to combine all those functions, but the single vehicle solution always ends up costing me more and having less capability.
Jack of all Master of none comes to mind.

I'm likewise minded though. I keep trying to figure out what ONE vehicle I want that can do ALL the things. I don't want to commute in a 3500 pickup, but really want a big slide in camper and to tow a boat at the same time. I have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of having two vehicles, even if I get a really cheap "toy" for daily commuting, and a big one for weekend adventures.

If I didn't have kids, I would have a giant pickup and a motorcycle. Until the kids are a little more self sufficient, I just can't go with the two wheeled conveyance as I'm forever changing plans and having to pickup/drop off/move more than two people.

First world problems right?

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@2kwik4u, It's not quite boating, but its a lot of fun. We were at the Hatfield and McCoy trails and they require helmets since its mostly Motorcycles and Atvs.

1636573699964.png

SwissDoo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Pulled the trigger two weeks ago, Bronco is getting shipped next week from the port of Charleston.

2.7 outer Banks, Sas and Lux package, cactus gray with roast interior.

@scubasteve87 , still happy with yours?

Patrick

Attachments

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Jim

Or you buy a Jeep Gladiator.