• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Towing a wakeboard while also using the bimini top

BlacklimitedS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Has anyone towed a wakeboard using the tower on a 2014 limitedS while also using the bimini top? I watched the video from jet boat pilot but his was a 2010. My top is slightly different. It would be nice to keep using the top versus putting it up and down depending on whether we are tubing or wake boarding.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My understanding is that the rope goes under the top on the 2010s and 2011s and over it on the 2012s and newer 242 ls models. On the newer models you are suppose to lower the rear support poles when towing with the top up. This should be covered in your owners manual.

Cory

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I do with mine all the time. Never been an issue

BlacklimitedS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It is covered in the owners manual. Is says you should not tow using the tower while using the bimini top. I will double check it when I get home.

Cory

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm bad about following the rules.:cool:

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a 2010 boat but a 2012 manual. The big difference between the old and new tops is that the old ones are secured by straps at the rear whereas the new boats have telescoping poles to support the rear of the top.

I recall reading that you are not supposed to tow a tube from the tower but that towing from the tower with the top deployed is generally ok and was anticipated by yamaha which is why they made the rear of the top adjustable. On the older boats the rope would swing at head height inside the rear cockpit and was bound by the rear support straps. The redesign of the newer models eliminated the rope going back and forth at the rear of the cockpit and the bounding issue I mentioned by putting the rope over the rear of the top instead of under it. I doubt they redesigned the Bimini just to give us the convenience of being able to raise or lower the rear +\- 6 inches. Poles cost more than straps and yamaha doesn't seem to be into replacing cheap components with more expensive ones just for the hell of it.

BlacklimitedS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks for all the replies. I am going to test it out in a few weeks.

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
On my 242LS, I just lower the telescoping tensioners to the tightest (and lowest) setting and then tow with the rope above the bimini. Works fine, other than rope control can be a pain. I'm thinking of sewing in a guide on the back to keep the wakeboard tow line under control when I have to make a sharper turn than I want to.

For wake surfing, I attach to the pylon and then go under the bimini with the tow line.

Shuck Water

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Over for Wakeboarding
Under for Surfing

Never have any issues with the bimini and I've been doing it for over two years. No real wear and tear.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I go over the top and never have any issues. I tried going under but that was dangerous for everyone in the boat!

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
sheesh how complicated. Seems like another reason to keep me from buying a newer model.

I boat with my bimini deployed probably 99.44% of the time. Towed skiers and wakeboarders, AND tubes from the tower with bimini more times than I can count. Never worried about it. 8 years later and all is fine. But then again, mine is a CLASSIC AR230:D

Rigger

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have pulled tubes from tower as well with no problems. I check to make sure there are no issues when I clean the boat. I have not seen a single sign not even a stress crack yet! I have only had four years in but no issues. The tube does much better from tower!

BlacklimitedS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Towed my wakeboard two weeks ago with the top up and no issues. However last weekend I was zipping the top and a gust of wind caused the seam at the zipper to rip. Hopefully it is covered under warranty.

Corbitt

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Has anyone towed a wakeboard using the tower on a 2014 limitedS while also using the bimini top? I watched the video from jet boat pilot but his was a 2010. My top is slightly different. It would be nice to keep using the top versus putting it up and down depending on whether we are tubing or wake boarding.
I have a 2014 also, I was wondering this same thing? Did you ever try? Above or Below?

BlacklimitedS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes we keep it up most of the time. It is actually easier with the top up as the rope does not catch on my wakeboard rack or the bimini support. The rope goes above the top. Enjoy the boat!

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Over the bimini, with the bimini in its lowest position.

Mary Cole

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
My understanding is that the rope goes under the top on the 2010s and 2011s and over it on the 2012s and newer 242 ls models. On the newer models you are suppose to lower the rear support poles when towing with the top up. This should be covered in your owners manual.
I have a 2019 Ar240. Impossible to lower the bimini in the back by lowering the poles. Top is tight at the highest position. Cannot even lower it to the middle postion. Anyone else have this issue?

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2019 Ar240. Impossible to lower the bimini in the back by lowering the poles. Top is tight at the highest position. Cannot even lower it to the middle postion. Anyone else have this issue?
Mine was like that. I took the 2 forward poles and shorten them by about an inch. Problem solved

Mary Cole

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Mine was like that. I took the 2 forward poles and shorten them by about an inch. Problem solved
Thanks for the response. I'll look into that. No way it will pull below the highest setting right now. Owners manual states middle position for cruising and lowest (shortest) position for using the wake tower. It's not moving from the top position.

One question. Once you were able to lower the poles how much did it lower the Bimini in the back?