• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Towing with a hitch extension

patrickgrizz

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Anyone towed with a hitch extension before? Just picked up a 180 Challenger and it does require me to get my back tires in the water a tad, not even up to the rims, where my previous 150 Speedster didn't. My tow vehicle is a 2008 z71 Chevy Colorado 2wd w/ a locking rear differential. I haven't had any trouble pulling it up at my usual ramp, plenty of power and traction. But, I guess the paranoid part of me would like to avoid dipping my tires in the water if I travel to any other ramps.

Was considering picking up one of these and seeing how it went. My boat weighs 2800lb when loaded according to the spec sheet, so 3000lb or so with fuel and gear on board.

Extension

Receiver on my truck

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Congrats on the new to you boat and welcome to the forum. I would not use an extension. It won't gain you much and will make towing more difficult from sway to porposing by moving the ball further away from the axle. Your truck will be fine as long as you keep good tires on it. I rarely have to put my 1/2 ton truck in 4wd pulling a 5.3 k boat plus trailer out of the water. In fact I have only had to do that on a super steep, super slick river ramp. My rear tires are always in the water. Shoot my rear door is almost in the water at some ramps.

Last edited:

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My neighborhood has a very shallow ramp. I tried a similar hitch extension on my Sierra Denali to tow a lightweight single axle trailered Yamaha LX210. That was a big truck with a little boat situation and even then I decided not to tow the boat the 1/4 mile to the ramp with the extension. It took all rigidity out of the hitch.

patrickgrizz

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
That's what I was afraid of. Looks like I may just grab an extension to keep in the truck and if I happen up a questionable ramp just install and back it down with it, but not do any traveling with an extension.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyone towed with a hitch extension before? Just picked up a 180 Challenger and it does require me to get my back tires in the water a tad, not even up to the rims, where my previous 150 Speedster didn't. My tow vehicle is a 2008 z71 Chevy Colorado 2wd w/ a locking rear differential. I haven't had any trouble pulling it up at my usual ramp, plenty of power and traction. But, I guess the paranoid part of me would like to avoid dipping my tires in the water if I travel to any other ramps.

Was considering picking up one of these and seeing how it went. My boat weighs 2800lb when loaded according to the spec sheet, so 3000lb or so with fuel and gear on board.

Extension

Receiver on my truck
I would say absolutely not.
One aspect of towing that hardly ever gets any attention, which I find puzzling, is the distance of the hitch ball/trailer coupler from the rear axle of the tow vehicle. The shorter it is, the better for towing - less squat, sway, and all sorts of other issues. Hence different tow ratings for some seemingly identical vehicles/models, where one would have a shorter rear end (and therefore shorter distance between the hitch ball and the rear axle resulting in higher tow rating).

EDIT: You can calculate the weight increase on the ball with the extender, it is a simple machine (lever) where the rear axle is your fulcrum. But the bottom line is you will get A LOT more squat.

--

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@patrickgrizz Is the truck AWD/4WD? If yes, than no worries.
But if it is a 2WD, than is a bit different depending on the ramp and weather.

--

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

--
Agree unless you have a non-slip rear differential (Posi-traction). If so you should have no problems pulling out your boat. I have pulled out a larger boat than yours with a similar size vehicle that had non-slip with no issues.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would say absolutely not.
One aspect of towing that hardly ever gets any attention, which I find puzzling, is the distance of the hitch ball/trailer coupler from the rear axle of the tow vehicle. The shorter it is, the better for towing - less squat, sway, and all sorts of other issues. Hence different tow ratings for some seemingly identical vehicles/models, where one would have a shorter rear end (and therefore shorter distance between the hitch ball and the rear axle resulting in higher tow rating).

EDIT: You can calculate the weight increase on the ball with the extender, it is a simple machine (lever) where the rear axle is your fulcrum. But the bottom line is you will get A LOT more squat.

--
@swatski You are of course correct about the distance to the axle having a big impact. Not quite a simple machine when you take into account spring damping rates and active loads (in motion on highway) on both sides of the fulcrum ;). For those not aware @swatski is a great contributor and there are not many chances to give him a hard time so the above is just in good fun.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski Not quite a simple machine when you take into account spring damping rates and active loads (in motion on highway) on both sides of the fulcrum.
I wish there was a "LMAO" emoji. LMAO.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Seen lots of photos of trucks WAY in the water launching boats....I'd not use an extension....and IF I did, I'd put it on at the ramp.

for fresh water ok but salt water, I don't even want the tire to touch the water

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
for fresh water ok but salt water, I don't even want the tire to touch the water
I would been a shut in for months if I'd lived that way in Chicago! Drove my cars is salt for years....spraying up into everything! Just rinse the truck with the boat when you get home.

patrickgrizz

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length

--
@swatski it's a 2wd Colorado z71 w/ a locking rear differential. I haven't had and don't really anticipate any issues at my usual ramp, but I think my strategy will be to keep a 12" or so extension in the back of the truck and slap it on at the ramp whenever I hit any new ramps for the first time.

Hike

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just upgraded my tow vehicle to a Sequoia. The first time I had it at the ramp, I was blowing bubbles with my exhaust in order to get her to float.
I was thinking of the 16" Reese Hidden Hitch (6,000 lbs max rating). Would work better than an extender? I only have to drive the boat around the block to get to the slip.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just upgraded my tow vehicle to a Sequoia. The first time I had it at the ramp, I was blowing bubbles with my exhaust in order to get her to float.
I was thinking of the 16" Reese Hidden Hitch (6,000 lbs max rating). Would work better than an extender? I only have to drive the boat around the block to get to the slip.

Blowing bubbles is fine. That hitch extension will be all kinds of trouble and multiply the tongue weight on your rear axle.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Look at what the truck camper guys use without issue. I had a 3' extension on mine. It will substantially de-rate your capacity, but mine was 500/5000 off a class 5 hitch. It was supported with large turn buckles at 45°. You could get a hitch rattle removed to tighten everything up on that little one. I'll be adding at least a foot to mine. I back a grand Cherokee about 1" away from water coming in the trunk. I still struggle to get the boat off the trailer. You'll be just fine. Get one of these
Hitch Tightener for 1.25" and 2"Hitches LIBERRWAY 304 Stainless Steel Hitch Tightener Anti-Rattle Stabilizer Rust-Free Heavy Duty Lock Down Easy Installation Quiet Amazon.com: Hitch Tightener for 1.25" and 2"Hitches LIBERRWAY 304 Stainless Steel Hitch Tightener Anti-Rattle Stabilizer Rust-Free Heavy Duty Lock Down Easy Installation Quiet: Automotive

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Jgorm, what was your tow vehicle for that craziness?

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
3500 dually. It de-rates by 3x the hitch rating. Think about what really matters, the distance between the rear axle of the vehicle and the trailer axle, and the center off mass on the trailer. Consider a long bed truck hitch to axle distance and compare to something like a Cherokee where they hitch is almost over the axle. If the extension is tight, adding a foot will hardly change anything. Read the reviews of people that use one and decide for yourself.

CURT 45048 Black 2-1/2" to 2" Trailer Hitch Adapter (Accepts 2" Ball Mount Shank, 4,500 lbs. GTW, Extends Receiver 34") Amazon.com: CURT 45048 Black 2-1/2" to 2" Trailer Hitch Adapter (Accepts 2" Ball Mount Shank, 4,500 lbs. GTW, Extends Receiver 34"): Automotive