• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Toyota “severe” maintenance schedule question

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m at 40k on a 2017 LC200 and have been following “severe” maintenance schedule due to towing the boat (approx 10%).

Change o/f, driveshaft lubrication etc every 5,000, just had the front, rear diff and transfer case service.

Q: Should I have the transmission and steering fluid changed/flushed? Anything else?

I trust my current dealer, and would like to do as much of preventative maintenance as possible while I’m here. Unfortunately, I’m moving into the eye of the shit storm within next few days, heading East into NYC area... I may or may not be able to tend to car service in the next few months. The new job will have me pretty occupied, lol. (I’m in the medical field).

@Neutron - what would you say? I don’t want to overdo it, but I also don’t want to worry about things not being done. I know I can go 10,000 miles between oil changes, and such. Just not sure what other service would make a difference, and there’s also a small risk of PM-related damage. Not sure what to do. Appreciate any advice.

Chevyguy2021

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Is this a vehicle you purchased? If so, I would do it. If this is a leased vehicle, then maybe not.
I currently leased my tow vehicle so it just goes in for regular stuff. For example, full synthetic oil change at 8k miles and a tire rotation. Nothing fancy. My rig tells me when it needs an oil change so its simple.
If i owned it I would spend a little more on preventative stuff when I got up there in miles.

How many miles do you spend towing the boat?

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As far as your going and probably going to have to tow the boat sooner or later it wouldn't hurt to have the transmission fluid(& T case if equipped), PS fluid changed and I would do a brake fluid flush. Make sure that whoever checks out the vehicle and does the work understands that your going to be putting a LOT of miles on the vehicle in the near future.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
As mentioned above, I'd flush brake fluid on a 3 year old vehicle, especially as humid as MO can be. Brake fluid is like a sponge for moisture, and it's easy enough to do. Power steering may be premature, I don't know if Toyota steering pumps are as bad as the Ford ones from 10-20 years ago. If it's a known problem maybe do it, otherwise probably no. I'd look at the spark plugs, at the very least breaking them free once in a while keeps them from seizing in the heads. Trans service, probably early for that towing or not. Some transmissions don't take to a flush, just a drain and fill only (Honda 5 speed comes to mind), so I'd check the LC forums to see if that's an issue. Some dealers don't even know that stuff.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
unless neutron said different (and there is always the small risk of damage during PM's) I'd have them do,
The money isn't that big a deal, you have someone you trust (priceless) and you'll have peace of mind knowing you don't have to worry about it for a while,

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure about Toyota transmissions, but GM transmissions HATE to be flushed. DO NOT POWER FLUSH a GM Transmission.

To change the fluid, the best option is to drop the pan, replace filter, and replace pan with new unit that has a drain plug. From there, continue to remove/replace the fluid 3 times with 250-500 miles between drains. Fluid should look nice and bright red again, and you didn't have to power flush to get it that way. My understanding is that power flushing (pressurized fluid replacement) causes deposits to be carried from where they've built up, to other places that do harm. Even if this isn't technically correct, there are enough documented cases of a pressurized fluid change leading to transmission failure shortly thereafter.

Check with your user group for the LC's to see how to proceed. GM Corporate still recommends the pressurized replacement despite the known issues within the community, so I'm unsure how much I trust the dealership.

Brake fluid is probably still OK, as is Power Steering Fluid. Truck isn't that old, and honestly the newer systems are sealed MUCH better than they used to be. I usually don't touch those fluids until 100k miles or 5yrs of service. Same with coolant.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is this a vehicle you purchased? If so, I would do it. If this is a leased vehicle, then maybe not.
I currently leased my tow vehicle so it just goes in for regular stuff. For example, full synthetic oil change at 8k miles and a tire rotation. Nothing fancy. My rig tells me when it needs an oil change so its simple.
If i owned it I would spend a little more on preventative stuff when I got up there in miles.

How many miles do you spend towing the boat?
Purchased new in 2018, has had about 5K mile of tow service, give or take, I'm really on the fence as the truck has been pretty much flawless, so far.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure about Toyota transmissions, but GM transmissions HATE to be flushed. DO NOT POWER FLUSH a GM Transmission.

To change the fluid, the best option is to drop the pan, replace filter, and replace pan with new unit that has a drain plug. From there, continue to remove/replace the fluid 3 times with 250-500 miles between drains. Fluid should look nice and bright red again, and you didn't have to power flush to get it that way. My understanding is that power flushing (pressurized fluid replacement) causes deposits to be carried from where they've built up, to other places that do harm. Even if this isn't technically correct, there are enough documented cases of a pressurized fluid change leading to transmission failure shortly thereafter.

Check with your user group for the LC's to see how to proceed. GM Corporate still recommends the pressurized replacement despite the known issues within the community, so I'm unsure how much I trust the dealership.

Brake fluid is probably still OK, as is Power Steering Fluid. Truck isn't that old, and honestly the newer systems are sealed MUCH better than they used to be. I usually don't touch those fluids until 100k miles or 5yrs of service. Same with coolant.
They might have said "replace" transmission fluid, yes I agree with you, that flushing business can be risky. Not what I need right now, lol.

--

wardial

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I always advise my (also very trusted) dealer service center to perform the service due to towing. Absolutely can't hurt and is what they advise in the manual.

meaningreen

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Based on Toyota you have until 60K, but can't hurt if you like that dealer and given where you are going may just be easier to do early.

Attachments

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Do it early. I’m not sure what transmission is in the Toyota’s, let the dealer do it. I know the 8 speeds in the Ram/Chrysler/keep/Dodge/Fiat are a “ZF Brand, and ZF says “ 100k or earlier with severe use” and the dealer says “ Lifetime fill” but it’s not as simple as drain and fill and drain, the vehicle has to be at a specific angle and that’s some thing I’d rather let the dealer deal with. Again urs may be different, But at the end of the day it can only help. Getting things serviced and getting parts is going to be dicey in the near future if you aren’t already seeing it. Do it now as things are rapidly changing.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The Toyota transmission will not be flushed @2kwik4u is correct about it disturbing stuff that is seated in the transmission passageways And little joints that they do not want disturbed. I have a 2010 tundra a 2012 tundra 2014 tundra and a 2016 tundra I have a plow on the 2014 and almost 100,000 miles after I’ve use these for two years I rolled them into the business and my helpers Formans and everyone else drive them around. Specifically on the 14 I gave it to the dealer at 100,000 miles an asked him to change all of the fluids which they did except for the transmission fluid. And they gave me the reason that Toyota does not want it flushed because it could loosen up any of the little sediment that has settled into any cracks or pipe joints or things like that. The guy that has the 2008 tundra with over 1,000,000 miles on it never changed his fluid but at 800 and something thousand miles he got his transmission rebuilt but then found out that if he had changed his fluid once he started to have a little issue with his transmission he probably would’ve been fine. He was a hot shot trucker, towed a lot. If your car is running great I will change the oil and not touch anything until you get settled in to your new place nothing is going to go wrong with your Toyota. The chance of a mechanic making a little mistake that might affect it during these times when everyone is a little bit frazzled is probably greater than normal and I would not like that to happen before I drove on a long road trip. The 2010 2012 and 16 that I did not plow with all have more than 100,000 miles on them and none of those fluids have been changed only oil, brakes, and air filter. 10 and 12 200k.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry @swatski just saw this thread.
Ps flushed every 30k
Brake fluid every 30k
Transmission flushed every 60k (these transmissions are amazing and can take abuse and flushing wont hurt it)
Differentials/t-case every 30k
Injectors every 30k
Induction cleaning every 15k
There is no zerks on the driveshafts

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry @swatski just saw this thread.
Ps flushed every 30k
Brake fluid every 30k
Transmission flushed every 60k (these transmissions are amazing and can take abuse and flushing wont hurt it)
Differentials/t-case every 30k
Injectors every 30k
Induction cleaning every 15k
There is no zerks on the driveshafts
Yeah, I'm kicking myself for not doing more pre-emptive PM earlier in the year but it sounds like my transmission can wait, that was my number one potential concern! Thank you, sir.
I kind of wish they made those cruisers as hybrids, LC hybrid would be hard to beat, it's the only thing about them that sucks - gas mileage.
The cruisers seem to have some zerks, I think I'm told maybe as many as 6, it's a tundra powertrain but with some differences due to traction control and locking gizmos in the LCs, at least that's what I've always paid a little extra for when changing oil, they charge me something like $25 extra.

Good thing is - made it here without any issues, loaded to the gills, love this truck to death.
Most importantly - it fits in the new garage! lol (by less than an inch)
1585972990769.png

--