• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Toyota 4Runner Towing

DNICE

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Wanted to hear about any towing experience with a 4Runner SR5 towing a 21ft? Any advice?

Sealegs89

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looking forward to the responses on this. I have a 2016 trail model and plan on buying a 21ft.

feziwig

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I towed my SX230 with an ‘06 Tacoma for a couple years. No issues at at all. Not a 4 runner, but similar chassis and motor.
I now tow with a GX460, which to me is just a loaded 4Runner with a V8. Mine has the self leveling air suspension which is really nice.

Tjw961

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a 242 Limited S and a 2019 Toyota 4runner, but no way I would use it to pull that size of boat. Not sure what the weight difference is for a 21ft model, but to me i would think you would need to add some after market upgrades on your 4runner before it would be a good idea. Maybe others have done this combo and can weigh in. Might want to check out towing air bags, transmission oil cooler for towing, sway bar, etc.

Levi Weatherford

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Wanted to hear about any towing experience with a 4Runner SR5 towing a 21ft? Any advice?
I towed my 2017 212 Limited S for a couple years with a 2007 SR5 4Runner 4x4 with a v6. It did absolutely fine. I will say I never towed on an interstate at interstate speeds. Mostly 2 lane, 55mph roads. It did absolutely fine. Of course the surge brakes on the trailer help the situation.

Chris D

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What year 4Runner? I have a 2017 4runner SR5 4x4, 3in lift, 285 tires, Firestone rear airbags, and a AR195. I wouldn't suggest anything over a 19ft boat unless your lake is within a few minutes away. I believe with a 21 foot you’ll be at max capacity weight (5000 lbs), I’m sure I’m pushing 4000 lbs right now. I would also suggest keeping it out of OD (manual 4th gear only). My 4Runner does ok on the straights but struggles when going up a decent grade. I have to lower speed to around 45 when going up hill for an extended amount of time. For this reason I just installed a transmission cooler because I know the trans temp has to be on the high side especially out here in Arizona at over 100 degrees. Fuel mileage is around 9mpg when towing which I’m guessing is not so great. Procharger just came out with their bolt on supercharger ($6k)which should help the situation with power but you would be stretching the 4runners capabilities. On a side note the new 2021 Tahoe looks pretty nice. 8500 lbs towing and a diesel option in the near future.
2D68B5C0-92C5-426A-B87B-F395A13A35FD.jpegDB7BA77B-10E5-41DC-9D9F-A3C7F95B2D96.jpeg

Last edited:

r1pilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I rented a 4Runner TRD last summer from our local Toyota dealer for a vacation. Towed our 212 LTD S 4 hours each direction and much of this was freeway driving. It held speed at 75 with no issues at all. I would not hesitate to use it again. I was comfortable with it's braking capabilities and didn't feel any unusual trailer sway.

So much so that my wife is actually considering this as her next vehicle.

Rockfords Fosgate

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Owned a 4Runner for many years. Great vehicle. However I would not want it for my primary/sole tow solution for a 21ft Yamaha. It would do fine on short hauls and most ramps, but it did not have enough ass and mass IMO for a boat that size (especially at higher speeds).

I've heard a new version is coming out next year. Hope the passenger crash ratings are improved.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I towed my 212 with a 2012 4runner limited for about 2 months before selling it and buying a Land Cruiser.

It worked ok for nearby lakes but it did not have the power for hills and it felt "light", like the boat pushed it around a little too much. The 4runner had E rated tires and heavier rear springs for towing but it was also lifted 3" so I'm not sure if that made it better or worse.

I just wasn't comfortable with it long term.IMG_7223.JPG

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What year 4Runner? I have a 2017 4runner SR5 4x4, 3in lift, 285 tires, Firestone rear airbags, and a AR195. I wouldn't suggest anything over a 19ft boat unless your lake is within a few minutes away. I believe with a 21 foot you’ll be at max capacity weight (5000 lbs), I’m sure I’m pushing 4000 lbs right now. I would also suggest keeping it out of OD (manual 4th gear only). My 4Runner does ok on the straights but struggles when going up a decent grade. I have to lower speed to around 45 when going up hill for an extended amount of time. For this reason I just installed a transmission cooler because I know the trans temp has to be on the high side especially out here in Arizona at over 100 degrees. Fuel mileage is around 9mpg when towing which I’m guessing is not so great. Procharger just came out with their bolt on supercharger ($6k)which should help the situation with power but you would be stretching the 4runners capabilities. On a side note the new 2021 Tahoe looks pretty nice. 8500 lbs towing and a diesel option in the near future.
View attachment 126055View attachment 126054
Don't feel bad about that mileage. My Land Cruiser gets about 8 round trip from Mesa to Roosevelt with the 5.7 V8.

Chris D

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You must make the same trips I do to saguaro, canyon, and Roosevelt.
Don't feel bad about that mileage. My Land Cruiser gets about 8 round trip from Mesa to Roosevelt with the 5.7 V8.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
View attachment 126055View attachment 126054
BTW, I think I had Valentines day dinner/picnic this year in that spot you're parked in. Up the hill at Saguaro right?

In hindsight going to a restaurant once more before covid might have been a better idea...

Thunderseye

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
well its pretty much the same as the tacoma. I was told I shouldn't tow my 24' and that it wasn't capable but it tows and pulls from the ramp with no problem. The trailer has its own brakes so that is a non issue I am very glad I didn't try to upgrade

Chris D

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
BTW, I think I had Valentines day dinner/picnic this year in that spot you're parked in. Up the hill at Saguaro right?

In hindsight going to a restaurant once more before covid might have been a better idea...
Yeah saguaro. Haha yeah for sure.

Zero_Turn

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just picked up our ‘21 SX190 and towed with our ‘17 SR5. We live in PA and I wouldn’t want anything over a 19Ft boat behind me with the 4Runner towing. It did ok going up the mountains and hills. Highway speeds were ok, but I definitely had to plan my passing.

Attachments